follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bolt-ons + Tune Power?

I expected there to be more information on the kind of power we can expect from bolt-ons and a tune. Intake, exhaust and a tune. Turbo kits are great, really nice job to all the vendors working on it but I'm not going to do that for years. Where the hell are the numbers for simple bolt ons and a tune? Am I missing something here?
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Stage 1 tune numbers: check visconti
exhaust numbers are on the various venders threads selling the exhausts: perrin, vivid, SRT etc. and same thing for intakes. just takes some searching. it would be nice having it in one place though
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
Stage 1 tune numbers: check visconti
exhaust numbers are on the various venders threads selling the exhausts: perrin, vivid, SRT etc. and same thing for intakes. just takes some searching. it would be nice having it in one place though
This is not what I'm asking. Where are the numbers for cars tuned for intakes and exhaust parts? Not a generic stock or mpg tune with parts thrown on top.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
So you want stock with tune. Then exhaust and intake with tune. From there, we can compare the two and see what kind of results (gains) we can expect. Right? I would like to see the same.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
This is not what I'm asking. Where are the numbers for cars tuned for intakes and exhaust parts? Not a generic stock or mpg tune with parts thrown on top.
Not a whole lot of people are willing to pay the price for that. You would have to get the Visconti tune (which is already pretty expensive) and then pay someone else to dyno tune your car for fine tuning. Compared to the cheap price of the car, most people can't afford all of that money, could be upwards of $1500 for just a tune. So you wont see very many people with full boltons and a tune yet. That's like at least $2500. If I were to guess it would get ~200whp with everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Not a whole lot of people are willing to pay the price for that. You would have to get the Visconti tune (which is already pretty expensive) and then pay someone else to dyno tune your car for fine tuning. Compared to the cheap price of the car, most people can't afford all of that money, could be upwards of $1500 for just a tune. So you wont see very many people with full boltons and a tune yet. That's like at least $2500. If I were to guess it would get ~200whp with everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7
This is bs. 1500 for a tune? Why would it cost so much? Paying full msrp for ecutek should include a custom tune, not some canned one size fits all tune. I know its still early but why are people putting so much effort in $6000+ setups but absolutely no effort in something almost everyone would consider? I know people would line up for a proven set of exhaust parts which would combine with a tune to make 200hp.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Just waiting on perrin or nameless to come out with their intakes and headers and ill get some stuff going.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dabocx For This Useful Post:
Deepseadiver (09-04-2012), Sportsguy83 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I agree. For now I am going to use an aftermarket air filter with the stock intake and wait and see who has the best numbers a year from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
So you want stock with tune. Then exhaust and intake with tune. From there, we can compare the two and see what kind of results (gains) we can expect. Right? I would like to see the same.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have a thread started for this in here with my baseline done. I now have the Ecutek stage1 tune done, and my AFE intake and Perrin pulley are on the way. Once those come in in about a week, I am doning another dyno. And again next summer when the exhaust is finished, and then with E85 So you can try to follow that if it helps.
Opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Im planning on doing full bolt-ons and tune to see what numbers i get. Not sure why companies like perrin and lachute(however u spell them) are not trying to tune their own parts and see what they get out of them or maybe they are!We just dont know about them yet. You have to remember that visconti is the first to really crack this thing open, have testers, and offer the tune on top of flying everywhere for these turbo builds and hes 1 guy team.
I know that he did state that he will be buying or some companies are sending intakes and testing them with a tune which i think is really great! You have to remember that visconti might not always have a car to test all this stuff out on, not to mention that alot of these bolt-ons are expensive. Maybe he will test other things but hes doing everything one step at a time. It might have to be one of us to take the initiative to buy intake/exhaust/headers and hopefully visconti can take look and see where there are areas of improvement. Either way i think in the tuning game for our car he's been great! My hp and tq estimate for full bolt ons with 93octane is about 204hp/152tq maybe more.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
^ I also tune other cars and belong to other forums that I try to stay active on lol

Someone wants to do before and after I'll get the dyno ... But you have to have my STG1 tune

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
industrial (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I already have the nameless downpipe/overpipe and axleback along with visconti's stage one flash. Ill be getting the header and intake whenever they are avaliable and ill see if he can tweak the tune for that setup.

When thats all done ill try to go do a few dyno pulls and get my friend to take his stock FRS to do pulls as well. Not the most scientfic comparsion but it should show some data....plus maybe we can film some real world comparsions for full bolt ons +tune vs a dead stock car....
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dabocx For This Useful Post:
industrial (09-03-2012), white devil (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2399592

Not on this forum but TheShop has been doing this, they have parts+tuning plots for stock, Perrin catback alone, and then catback plus Injen intake.

Once a manufacturer like Perrin has their parts complete they will likely post detailed info. They are one of the few who builds every type of bolt on and also does ECU tuning.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
xAgentzero13
Banned

Drives: genesis coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
Im planning on doing full bolt-ons and tune to see what numbers i get. Not sure why companies like perrin and lachute(however u spell them) are not trying to tune their own parts and see what they get out of them or maybe they are!We just dont know about them yet. You have to remember that visconti is the first to really crack this thing open, have testers, and offer the tune on top of flying everywhere for these turbo builds and hes 1 guy team.
I know that he did state that he will be buying or some companies are sending intakes and testing them with a tune which i think is really great! You have to remember that visconti might not always have a car to test all this stuff out on, not to mention that alot of these bolt-ons are expensive. Maybe he will test other things but hes doing everything one step at a time. It might have to be one of us to take the initiative to buy intake/exhaust/headers and hopefully visconti can take look and see where there are areas of improvement. Either way i think in the tuning game for our car he's been great! My hp and tq estimate for full bolt ons with 93octane is about 204hp/152tq maybe more.
is that 204whp? I'm interested in exhaust, intake and tune produces
xAgentzero13 is offline   Reply With Quote