follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #57
Vonsamhain

Drives: Scion FR-S (Raven)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm quite interested to see where this goes. What makes this turbo so uniquely different and CARB legal...and keeps factory warranty...that almost sounds too good to be true. It actualy doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know enough to say thats a false statement. Also, that adding 100 hp doesn't cause warranty issues. Especially considering the strain that 300 hp will put on so many other components. Maybe I'm just not understanding the claims here.

I'll take one if all these claims are 100% accurate. Do you take financing? Kidding.
2013 Raven FR-S MT + Sparco Assetto 18x8 + Michelinn Pilot Super Sprot 225/40/r18 + Takeda CAI + Fortune Auto 500 coilovers + Tanabe Sustec front and Rear strut tower brace + Carbeau FX1 / 6 point harness / Harness Bar + Nameless front pipe + Perrin cat back + FA20club E85 tune + Wilwood front & rear brakes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #58
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChopShop View Post
From what our local dealership has told us; as long as we don't alter the engine and ecu, warranty will stay intact. On the only condition that it can be returned to stock if a warranty issue arises.
So no internals, no harness cutting, no ecu soldering, etc.
We plan to keep this throughout the campaign as the number one rule.

And to answer, CARB has approved this turbo design for another project we completed. So the CARB approval shouldn't be too hard for this one. Couple things are different, but the emissions change should be minimal and gas mileage may improve *fingers crossed lol*
Bolded in case any one missed it. Which would make it a true bolt on. What gives me hope is that Toyota/Subaru are ok with this as it means that there is a t/c or s/c option coming down the pipe. Yes, I know I'm stretching it on that one, but a boy can dream cant he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #59
TheChopShop

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6sp
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter View Post
Bolder in case any one missed it.
*Edit, the whole post just appeared.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #60
TheChopShop

Garage
As far as a factory turbo or sc kit, I don't believe it will be made available. Seems the two companies can't do it without the other doing it, and they are like stepbrothers fighting about it now. So unless they realize they both like Velociraptors and kung fu, we might have to do it ourselves.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #61
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I really like where this is going. If all that has been said is accomplished, I'll beg you to take my money. Also, i'm about 7 hours drive from SEMA and would love the opportunity to participate with you guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #62
TheChopShop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
Also, i'm about 7 hours drive from SEMA and would love the opportunity to participate with you guys.
We will post a link to our raffle this week or next, taking care of all the logistics and stuff. Not sure how much the raffle will be, but everyone will win something.

We thank everyone who posts on here. This is exactly what I needed, to see a community of like minded people stand behind an idea that has consumed our lives for the past 9 months. Through sleepless nights and insomnia filled weeks pass by each an every idea and comment is taken into consideration. Your names go on our list as contributors to this campaign. This list is filled with companies and individuals who have helped us along the way and will be receiving something to say thank you.
Keep the conversation going. I'm going to continue to answer all questions and bring forward all concerns. Also, I have made sure that the idea of VERY special pricing and development/testing opportunities are only extended to this forum. You guys have helped, we are here to say thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheChopShop For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-02-2012), MarkRacerX (09-11-2012), Sportsguy83 (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #63
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good luck to the chop shop. We can sit here and talk all day but time will tell. :happy0180:
Old 09-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #64
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
How about a track oriented turbo kit that'll perform consistently with rock solid reliability during HPDE sessions (no heatsoak, no overheating issues) and be simple to install and tune?

+80whp
Inter cooled
Packaged with an accessible off the shelf tuning system (ECUTek, or a budget standalone such as an MSPnP, AEM etc).
5k or less installed.

Option to include supporting mods (oil cooler, tranny cooler, power steering cooler, injectors etc) for track use.

Besides turbo kits, also interested to see somebody fab up an oil cooler, trans cooler, power steering cooler, diff cooler, brake ducting kit, lightweight battery mount and seat rails for FIA seats.

Maybe brake adaptor kits or hub conversion kits too.

You'd sell tons of hub conversion kits.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #65
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
doinga little investigating has opened up some of your partners. I do like what I see so far. I think people will be very suprised if they see who the collab is with if my sources are correct on the project you are working on (meaning you are working with 4 companies, and should be done by SEMA)
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #66
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Would be great to go to Sema can't wait for raffle
The Following User Says Thank You to kidgogeta For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #67
Celica00

As long as theres a smooth powerband, reliablility, no cutting, i'll be happy.

It's funny to me, theres a wide range of car people that all equally love this car. I'm more of a toyota guy so I dont care about the UEL subie rumble. I'd prefer the sound of a supra over a STi any day. But some owners of this car are the complete opposite. Too bad this turbo will inevitably only sound one way
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #68
TheChopShop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
As long as theres a smooth powerband, reliablility, no cutting, i'll be happy.

Too bad this turbo will inevitably only sound one way
Smooth powerband is a major concern with us. And the reliability should not be a concern at all. We are building this to keep the warranty and not cause any issues or concerns.

As far as the sound, we are looking at different combos right now to get the best sound and pressure. We have discussed the possibility of a custom tuned exhaust combo and the ability to choose which one we go with from YouTube videos and votes from you guys.
We also have 3 different header designs being built for different reasons and ideas, we will try to show every possibility.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #69
Celica00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChopShop View Post
Smooth powerband is a major concern with us. And the reliability should not be a concern at all. We are building this to keep the warranty and not cause any issues or concerns.

As far as the sound, we are looking at different combos right now to get the best sound and pressure. We have discussed the possibility of a custom tuned exhaust combo and the ability to choose which one we go with from YouTube videos and votes from you guys.
We also have 3 different header designs being built for different reasons and ideas, we will try to show every possibility.
You mean the factory warranty so they dont give me flak if they see it? I figured any FI would void the warranty. And I look forward to hearing the different sounds. Also, if a smooth powerband has been a major concern, why did you choose to go turbo instead of S/C? I'm still sorting out the pros and cons to both methods
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #70
aex90832

Drives: 2011 Toyota Corolla
Alex's Dream Turbo:
Low PSI to avoid lag
Approx. 230whp
Smooth powerband
Discrete (no flashy tubing and OEM looking)
UEL header for the sound
No outrageous wooshy waste-gate sounds
Still compatible with most exhaust systems or a nice sounding exhaust as an option
Warranty
Placement like what AVO uses as that is what Subaru likes to do anyways
UNDER 4k including everything needed for installation

Im sure im missing something...but essentially an OEM+ setup..nothing that screams AFTERMARKET
The Following User Says Thank You to aex90832 For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)

Closed Thread