follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2023, 07:49 PM   #1
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Help diagnosing what appears to be a bad/seized differential

Hey FT86 Fam,

My 2013 BRZ started making funny noises while pulling into the driveway one night... grinding, clunking, and vibrations were all included.

The noise and vibrations happen when I have the car in gear, rev it up, and then shortly after the clutch engages the fly wheel, putting power down to the drivetrain, all hell breaks loose.

I jack it up and take this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8Ci_8FnjIA

Based on a friends recommendation, I replace the driveshaft. This yields no change.

I then do some more digging around and see one of my axles has a huge tear in the CV boot. I go ahead and replace both rear axles. I also changed the diff fluid at this time, and see nothing out of the ordinary in terms of extra specs of metal coming out. Still, same problem after both axles are installed.

I had a friend lay down while my car is on jack stands, and as I release the clutch to have the drivetrain engaged, he noticed that the differential is hopping/jumping up and down, which is what is causing my car to feel like it's hopping.

I have driven the car pretty hard, and I have had a cusco differential brace installed for well over 50k miles.

I am down to replace the diff, I just want to make sure I am not missing anything, as the diff is a pretty large undertaking. Am I safe to assume that something is bad in the diff case? If i go about buying a new/used pumpkin, should I remove the cusco brace?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blake

UPDATED Videos below!

Last edited by paintdude258; 01-13-2023 at 06:33 PM.
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:47 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,350 Times in 7,394 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If you get the rear wheels off the ground and put the car in neutral and turn one wheel, does it turn smoothly?
paintdude258 (01-13-2023), Spuds (01-09-2023), x808drifter (01-11-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:52 PM   #3
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
if the diff is moving around abnormally, I'd replace and/or reinforce the diff mounts, trans mounts etc.

I'd also be looking at the clutch etc
Gruppe-S UEL header/overpipe
Wayne Rom Stg 2 tune
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (01-10-2023), paintdude258 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 12:01 AM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,459 Times in 6,163 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
If you get the rear wheels off the ground and put the car in neutral and turn one wheel, does it turn smoothly?
This ^ is also the first thing I'd check. Also rotate the drive shaft by hand to see if anything catches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
paintdude258 (01-13-2023), x808drifter (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
terboboost

Drives: 2013 BRZ HKS Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Have you inspected all of the diff mounting points to ensure the bolts are tight and the subframe isn't cracked? The diff shouldn't be allowed to hop/jump up and down.
paintdude258 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 09:01 PM   #6
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdude258 View Post
The noise and vibrations happen when I have the car in gear, rev it up, and then shortly after the clutch engages the fly wheel, putting power down to the drivetrain, all hell breaks loose.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8Ci_8FnjIA
Just to be clear, the noise only happens once you've released the clutch and not before? The sound is very similar to when my engine developed rod knock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 09:11 PM   #7
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Post pics of rear cradle and front diff bushings. May need to remove that brace you have to get a proper look.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #8
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A long time ago in another galaxy, another junior mechanic asked me about an MG-B that came in the shop that was from a customer who asked for me. The service manager yanked that ticket and gave it to someone else which pissed me off royal. I had a full slate of work, so I got over it. The other mechanic who got the job asked what is suspected, so I gave him a snarky flip answer, "I don't know, but maybe the differential has a bad bearing." I still feel bad about it fifty years later as it turned out to be what I would have checked for if it were my job: an easy fix... bad rear prop shaft u-joint. I have overhauled my share of transmissions, overdrives and other drive-line components and you learn to eliminate the the easy stuff first. Assuming that the drive shaft and axles have been checked out, isolate the differential and check it. Aside from normal wear and tear from miles, the most common cause for differential failure in my experience is what comes after I ask a question of the owner, "What did you hit?" They never volunteer that bit of information when they bring the car in. The Torsen differential in the BRZ/86 I would not call it a true limited slip type as it is more of a torque bias gizmo. If one wheel has no traction at all, things go badly. With both wheels on the ground, it does a good job of putting the torque in the right place. Off road or ralley I would go with something with clutches in it. The design in the Torsen that makes it quiet in turns is also a major weakness. In my opinion, a sudden shock such as a pothole during a turn could mess up the little geerzmos in the diff. Can't tell too much from the video, but I would take a hard look at u-joints and then move on to the differential. Rebuild only if you can't find a replacement.

Last edited by Flarpswitch; 01-10-2023 at 09:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 06:24 AM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
.. The Torsen differential in the BRZ/86 I would not call it a true limited slip type as it is more of a torque bias gizmo. If one wheel has no traction at all, things go badly. With both wheels on the ground, it does a good job of putting the torque in the right place. Off road or ralley I would go with something with clutches in it ..
Both gear type & clutch type diffs have own sets of pros & cons. Noise of operation being only one of them (i'm guessing that OEMs lean to torsen more for reasons like ease of maintenance too, +some of drawbacks they compensate using electronic nannies operating brakes, which is much simpler & cheaper for them).
Meanwhile, saw interesting video along the line "why not have both"
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #10
paintdude258

Alright, first off, THANK YOU to all that posted!

The is on jacks, and i tried turning the wheels to be met with little to no resistance. Just sounds like the diff is doing its normal thing!

I realized that the video i took is of a terrible angle, so I decided to help you guys out, and myself, and take a few new videos, one with the Cusco diff brace on, and another with it off.

Take a look for your self. It look likes the driver side diff bushing is shot?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paintdude258 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-13-2023), norcalpb (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:25 PM   #11
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,478 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Nope diff bushing is doing what is suppose to do. It is time to start doing exploratory on it. Pull half shafts and check, then pull drive shaft and check. If nothing turn diff by hand and check. If nothing open up diff and check. If not there time to check transmission.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-13-2023), paintdude258 (01-13-2023), Ultramaroon (01-13-2023), x808drifter (01-15-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #12
paintdude258

I have lifted the rear of the car up, taken the drift shaft off, and found that the car ran fine. Problem starts when the drive shaft is bolted to the diff.

I have replaced both rear axles, so confident they are not the culprit.

Differential looking more and more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Nope diff bushing is doing what is suppose to do. It is time to start doing exploratory on it. Pull half shafts and check, then pull drive shaft and check. If nothing turn diff by hand and check. If nothing open up diff and check. If not there time to check transmission.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:32 PM   #13
paintdude258

I have had to replace the front and back right side coils several times from hitting curbs and pot holes. The roads are terrible in my area, and i diddd have to learn how to drift some how many many moons ago. I suspect this level of abuse has taken it's toll on the diff! Good call pointing out the beating that I have put the car through in it's years. I don't drive the car easy, as it's most fun when it's right on the tail edge of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
A long time ago in another galaxy, another junior mechanic asked me about an MG-B that came in the shop that was from a customer who asked for me. The service manager yanked that ticket and gave it to someone else which pissed me off royal. I had a full slate of work, so I got over it. The other mechanic who got the job asked what is suspected, so I gave him a snarky flip answer, "I don't know, but maybe the differential has a bad bearing." I still feel bad about it fifty years later as it turned out to be what I would have checked for if it were my job: an easy fix... bad rear prop shaft u-joint. I have overhauled my share of transmissions, overdrives and other drive-line components and you learn to eliminate the the easy stuff first. Assuming that the drive shaft and axles have been checked out, isolate the differential and check it. Aside from normal wear and tear from miles, the most common cause for differential failure in my experience is what comes after I ask a question of the owner, "What did you hit?" They never volunteer that bit of information when they bring the car in. The Torsen differential in the BRZ/86 I would not call it a true limited slip type as it is more of a torque bias gizmo. If one wheel has no traction at all, things go badly. With both wheels on the ground, it does a good job of putting the torque in the right place. Off road or ralley I would go with something with clutches in it. The design in the Torsen that makes it quiet in turns is also a major weakness. In my opinion, a sudden shock such as a pothole during a turn could mess up the little geerzmos in the diff. Can't tell too much from the video, but I would take a hard look at u-joints and then move on to the differential. Rebuild only if you can't find a replacement.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:57 PM   #14
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
How do the bushings on your driveshaft look? When I had mine replaced with the metal torque solution ones (a mistake), the stock rubber ones were super deformed. Not sure that could cause a noise though.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote