follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #15
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX2 View Post
I understand that each sensor has a unique ID.

That said, in his three pictures, all of which show the front left tire sensor ID number, well... they are three different numbers showing as the front left sensor ID.
Ah, I see what you mean now.

My understanding is:
On the first picture with a code, the code is 4DEA9CB.
The second picture says read IDs from Vehicle — those are probably the OEM sensors in OEM wheels, not the new ones.
On the third picture, 4DEA9CB is rear left tire in the 2nd bank.

The "front left" indication on the first picture with that code was probably a red herring — this guy literally said he saw some reading accidentally, and perhaps the device was just in the wrong mode ("please scan your front left wheel sensor now") when it happened.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #16
lewesyru

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I understand that each sensor has a unique ID.

That said, in his three pictures, all of which show the front left tire sensor ID number, well... they are three different numbers showing as the front left sensor ID.
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the confusion. For the first pic I actually read the sensor on the rear left tire. The tool allows you to read the sensor in any order of the tires and I was getting lazy so I just used the default left front to test reading the ID instead. It was only for showing that the Camry option will work. The ECU reading in the 3rd pic is what it actually wrote in the ECU.
lewesyru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lewesyru For This Useful Post:
MikeNSX2 (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #17
lewesyru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Ah, I see what you mean now.

My understanding is:
On the first picture with a code, the code is 4DEA9CB.
The second picture says read IDs from Vehicle — those are probably the OEM sensors in OEM wheels, not the new ones.
On the third picture, 4DEA9CB is rear left tire in the 2nd bank.
Yeah you are correct. The second pic is OEM, third is T6 from Tire Rack.

Last edited by lewesyru; 02-08-2022 at 02:36 PM.
MikeNSX2 (02-08-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #18
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
OK...now I am really upset with Subaru and their so called TPMS system.

Just got back from Discount Tire to have them scan the sensors in my new wheels from Tirerack and register them to my car, and they were unable to do so. My Subaru dealer was unable to do this as well.

They came out to my car with their $7000 scanner (which they said it cost), and which was fully updated for a 2022 BRZ.

It would not even scan the sensors, as it said "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor" on all four wheels. It was as if the sensors did not even exist.

I have NEVER had an issue with any TPMS system like I have had with Subaru. One would think Subaru would make it somewhat easy to reprogram TPMS sensors to new wheels like most car manufacturers do. I guess not.

At this point, I guess I'll have to drive my car with no TPMS, which I guess will have to be fine. The '91 NSX I owned for 18 years had no TPMS, as well as 28 of the 29 Corvettes I've owned. Hell, even the '96 Viper GTS I bought new didn't have them either (nor did it have ABS, which is another story).

Long story short, it seems the only way I can make my BRZ have a functional TPMS sensor system is to buy expensive OEM ($120 each plus installation) sensors and install them into my new Enkei wheels.

This whole situation sucks.

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 02-09-2022 at 09:07 PM.
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:48 PM   #19
lewesyru

Quote:
OK...now I am really upset with Subaru and their so called TPMS system.
Ahhh...That sounds really sucks.

What model of the sensor do you have on your wheels? Are they Tire Rack T5 or T6, or other brands?

I think the tire shop had encountered a similar issue as I had in this post. The gen1 & gen2 sensors are totally different and not interchangeable, and gen2 is actually a Toyota sensor. They won't be detected under Subaru setting.

I guess you have gen1 sensors installed. That's why the tire shop couldn't detect anything in the gen2 setting, no matter what brands / how expensive the tools they were using...

Even if they somehow got the sensor IDs, I think your car will not communicate with them. @Panda Grahams has Tire Rack T5 which is gen1 sensors installed, and the IDs were written into the ECU but the tire pressure never shows up in the dash, and eventually the freaking light lit up...

So, I think the best solution for now, is to order some Tire Rack T6 for your gen2 car. OEM is way too costly and on backorder for most of the dealerships.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #20
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hey folks,
Do you agree we should move the TPMS-specific conversation to the other thread?
I thinks that spreading this useful discussion among two different threads makes it harder to follow now, and even harder to follow for others in the future.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #21
lewesyru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Hey folks,
Do you agree we should move the TPMS-specific conversation to the other thread?
I thinks that spreading this useful discussion among two different threads makes it harder to follow now, and even harder to follow for others in the future.
Yes I agree. It's better to make all these information together.
timurrrr (02-11-2022)

Tags
new member, tpms