follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
petermmdk

Drives: 2017 BRZ blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best manifolds (headers) to OFT - OpenFlashTablet

Calling the US

Realise that this has been discussed before, but haven't found the spot on answer for my situation!

This was posted on a UK forum, but it seems that OFT is not used much in UK, so now I come to you;-)

"Beacon" posted that Rogue Motorsport makes a very good manifold that's more or less a copy of ACE A350. I include a picture of the Rogue manifold.

Thanks
Peter. Denmark

------------------------------------------------

Hi Forum

This is my first post - thanks for adding me;-)

To get rid of the torque dip I bought an OpenFlashTablet from the US and an EL manifold (headers) from Tuning Developments.

It works really well in that the cars perform so much better. But I don't like having the hot exhaust running in front of the engine and touching electrical wiring. This is really not where you want all that heat. I wrapped the header but it will still get very hot. We tried losening all bolts and moving the manifold but that wasn't possible.

Therefore I am looking to get another manifold and I am tempted by:
ACE A350 - expensive but looks very well made
Roger Clark Motorsport with ceramic coating - looks well made but UE and I prefer EL

I have the OFT and like the whole concept of being able to try different tunes and improve along the way. Now I run the OTS tune but also want to try a tune from Wayne (http://www.wayneroms.com/)

But to my question!
What manifolds are known to perform really well with OFT tunes. I have seen postings sugesting that the ACE header don't like OFT tunes, but then Wayne has a specific ACE tune. Anybody with experience or dyno charts proving good combinations? My goal is torque for daily driving and occasional track days.

Rogue Motorsports looks like ACE A350

My Tuning Developments

Not much room

Warm exhaust in tight space
petermmdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The Open Flash Header works pretty well with the Open Flash Tablet.
But it's UEL. So it sounds cool.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
petermmdk

Thanks for your reply WNDSRFR

I don't want rumble but race sound!. My wife has a Forester 2006 that rumbles;-)

And I don't think that we get the OpenFlash Header in Europe - but I might be wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to petermmdk For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The last OFT map doesn't mate at all with European cars no matter if you have EL or UEL headers so better choose first your tuner and then decide what headers suit you!
Rogue headers is much like ACE 400 rather 350 and they give extraordinary torque curve low down, was my first choice but I found cheap second hand A350.
This is a Rogue headers mapped by TD, but I think you already have seen this dyno, right?

And this a comparison between Rogue and TD UEL mapped by Abbey Motorsport:

Last edited by JIM THEO; 02-04-2021 at 12:23 PM.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,353 Times in 7,395 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Wayneroms has tunes for long tube headers. You could hit him up, user "wayno" here for a custom tune.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
petermmdk

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that Waynes OFT maps would be good for european fuel and then he has a tune for ACE header. But can't find anybody who have tried the combo.

I already have the OFT, but I could sell it and find a local tuner. Problem is that Denmark is not a motorhead country (because of 200% tax on cars!) so there are not many tuners around.

I could get a Rogue or ACE header and try my OFT tunes (OTS and Wayne) and if that doesn't work out get a "manual" tune. I have been searching for a tuner in Germany og Netherlands with FA20 experience but without luck.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermmdk View Post
Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that Waynes OFT maps would be good for european fuel and then he has a tune for ACE header. But can't find anybody who have tried the combo.

I already have the OFT, but I could sell it and find a local tuner. Problem is that Denmark is not a motorhead country (because of 200% tax on cars!) so there are not many tuners around.

I could get a Rogue or ACE header and try my OFT tunes (OTS and Wayne) and if that doesn't work out get a "manual" tune. I have been searching for a tuner in Germany og Netherlands with FA20 experience but without luck.
I know, we are on the same boat mate!
If I was in your position I'd choose Rogue headers along with a decat frontpipe as the HKS dual resonated (almost OEM noise wise) and a tuner around Europe.
I know Denmark law is quite strict regarding emissions, but if you live in a province you could probably run decated, a friend of mine with Forester XT w/Prodive Performance Pack that lives in Copenhagen had recently problem with emissions test although he has a (free flowing) Prodrive cated downpipe!
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply.

Etunes for NA is just fine. Look into ecutek and Zach from CSG
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 03:01 AM   #9
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

Drives: '15 GT86 Giallo - Supercharged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply.

Germany:

GP Performance [Gengler Patrick] (they rebuilt my engine and did their HKS SC conversion including a dyno mapping)

MPS Engineering
Boccaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:33 AM   #10
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2021, 05:09 AM   #11
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
I'm running ACE350 and Wayne on an EU AT6 car. Tried both E85/Flex and 98 petrol.

Quote:
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #12
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,194 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjj View Post
I'm running ACE350 and Wayne on an EU AT6 car. Tried both E85/Flex and 98 petrol.
His 98 tune is very ordinary on late models here at home, always on open loop unless in a car park. With bad fuel trims He said 1000 miles is needed, I dont think thats good. E85 is not as bad but the opposite for fuel trims. Red Manifold!
Old 02-08-2021, 04:31 AM   #13
petermmdk

Hi gen3v8
Thanks for involving in my question.
But I am not sure I get your message.
Are you saying that Wayne Roms are "very ordinary" = not so good?
What do you recommend softwarewise?
Peter
Old 02-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
His 98 tune is very ordinary on late models here at home, always on open loop unless in a car park. With bad fuel trims He said 1000 miles is needed, I dont think thats good. E85 is not as bad but the opposite for fuel trims. Red Manifold!

I don't agree. I'm very happy with his tunes on my MY13.
The car is certainly not always in open loop, that's such a weird statement.
I've been running my car with many different setups (ACE350 + 98/E85/Flex/supercharger) and been logging extensively, and Wayne roms is working very well.
Your fuel trims depend of many factors and that's why it may need some fine tuning. Wayne provides different tunes to account for this. Just follow his guide.
E85 fuel trims is expected to be "off", since that is how the E85 tune compensate for different ethanol mixtures.

Wayne rom and ACE350 (with or without E85) will give you a noticeable boost and relatively (compared to OFT free tunes) well tuned AFR/timings.
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote