follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 AM   #85
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniloneil8 View Post
Coverage is coverage.
You can drive your car into a brick wall and make a claim.
Or get into a traffic accident. Same thing.
Claims can be denied.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #86
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviacrazed View Post
I'm loving the skyrim reference

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LOL!! The thief may have even made his Sneak skill Legendary

OP, I’m very sorry this happened to you and your family. It sounds like the Chevelle can be fixed and you can finish the restoration with your dad and brothers.

It seems very likely they either pulled your FRS out of the driveway and over/into a curb, or drove it and hit a curb. The mileage should tell you if they drove it. Either way, I hope it can be repaired easily. They had easy access to the Chevelle after your FRS was moved.

It’s a horrible feeling to have something you care about stolen or damaged. The people responsible will absolutely pay for it some day. I had wheels stolen off my Talon TSI back in the day, and they dropped my car on the brake rotors afterwards. The rocker panels were also bent. It was done quickly and efficiently, I had my window open and didn’t hear a thing. Practiced thieves can basically steal anything they want.

And for everyone saying his dad or one of his brothers did this?! Really?!! LOL I guess you have some messed up family situations to suggest that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #87
JesseG

Sorry OP, I didn’t see that your FRS is totaled. That really sucks!!

Old 06-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #88
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post

And for everyone saying his dad or one of his brothers did this?! Really?!! LOL I guess you have some messed up family situations to suggest that.

So you really think some stranger took his car, crashed it at speed, brought it back, parked it in his driveway and returned the keys to the desk?

You must have some messed up sense of reality if you believe that.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #89
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So you really think some stranger took his car, crashed it at speed, brought it back, parked it in his driveway and returned the keys to the desk?

You must have some messed up sense of reality if you believe that.

LOL! My sense of reality aside, it’s possible his car wasn’t driven at all? They could have pulled it out of the way? I don’t remember where the OP said his FRS was left. Or, they started it without a key? Thieves will do all kinds of crazy stuff to get what they want.

You’re right though, I’m questioning some of the story now.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #90
Tcoat

Quote:
LOL! My sense of reality aside, it’s possible his car wasn’t driven at all? They could have pulled it out of the way? I don’t remember where the OP said his FRS was left. Or, they started it without a key? Thieves will do all kinds of crazy stuff to get what they want.

You’re right though, I’m questioning some of the story now.

Look at the pics again. All the spokes on the wheel are damaged. It was turning. The damage to the steering and suspension is extensive and you can even see bare metal where it hit a solid surface. The rocker panel is bad enough to total the car with a distinct front to rear taper where it went up and over the object. That car was moving fast when it hit what was most likely a curb. If you look at the picture where he has the yard stick you will notice there are no marks on the concrete where that wheel would have been pushed sideways if hit in situ. Not a hope a car was hit in that spot hard enough to do that sort of damage and not leave marks on the driveway.

There are only three potential scenarios that happened there.

One of the family members took the car for a joy ride. Bounced it off a curb and limped it back to the driveway without saying something.
Or
The OP whacked it against a curb and made a nice story up that actually worked. If I ever have an accident I hope it is in California where it is obvious that insurance adjusters just don't give a damn.
Or
Oxnard has the nicest, politest, considerate but horrible driving car thieves in the USA that will steal your car but if they damage it they will take the huge risk of driving it back and putting it where they found it. At least Canadian car thieves would have left a note saying "sorry".

Of those three options I would say that number one is the most probable since the OP does seem to be sincere in his delusion. So no those of us that said family do not necessarily have "messed up" ones. At least not for that reason.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #91
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Look at the pics again. All the spokes on the wheel are damaged. It was turning. The damage to the steering and suspension is extensive and you can even see bare metal where it hit a solid surface. The rocker panel is bad enough to total the car with a distinct front to rear taper where it went up and over the object. That car was moving fast when it hit what was most likely a curb. If you look at the picture where he has the yard stick you will notice there are no marks on the concrete where that wheel would have been pushed sideways if hit in situ. Not a hope a car was hit in that spot hard enough to do that sort of damage and not leave marks on the driveway.

There are only three potential scenarios that happened there.

One of the family members took the car for a joy ride. Bounced it off a curb and limped it back to the driveway without saying something.
Or
The OP whacked it against a curb and made a nice story up that actually worked. If I ever have an accident I hope it is in California where it is obvious that insurance adjusters just don't give a damn.
Or
Oxnard has the nicest, politest, considerate but horrible driving car thieves in the USA that will steal your car but if they damage it they will take the huge risk of driving it back and putting it where they found it. At least Canadian car thieves would have left a note saying "sorry".

Of those three options I would say that number one is the most probable since the OP does seem to be sincere in his delusion. So no those of us that said family do not necessarily have "messed up" ones. At least not for that reason.

The OP will have to weigh in on how he feels about a family member doing that. Taking his car, crashing it, then returning it. And not say anything. I mean anything is possible.

It would also be very weird for someone to steal a car and then return it all busted up. You would think they would just abandon the car.

My main reasoning behind the thieves damaging his FRS is due to the fact that the Chevelle was stolen. I guess that could have been taken by a family member also.

OP, do you have any younger cousins or nephews that might have taken the cars for a joyride?! Kids do really stupid stuff.

And Tcoat, I laughed at the Canadian thief leaving an “I’m sorry” note. I swear I’ve heard something like that happened in Canada.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #92
Tcoat

Quote:
The OP will have to weigh in on how he feels about a family member doing that. Taking his car, crashing it, then returning it. And not say anything. I mean anything is possible.

It would also be very weird for someone to steal a car and then return it all busted up. You would think they would just abandon the car.

My main reasoning behind the thieves damaging his FRS is due to the fact that the Chevelle was stolen. I guess that could have been taken by a family member also.

OP, do you have any younger cousins or nephews that might have taken the cars for a joyride?! Kids do really stupid stuff.

And Tcoat, I laughed at the Canadian thief leaving an “I’m sorry” note. I swear I’ve heard something like that happened in Canada.

He has very much convinced himself it was taken by others.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ontar...ages-1.1287376

And where I live
https://london.ctvnews.ca/i-m-sorry-...-100-1.4881538
Old 06-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #93
Bello

Drives: Scion FR-S 10-Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, I guess the true story shall remain a mystery. None of my family members have come forward even after my insurance claims have been completely processed.

But, unfortunately I have a set of brand new Winmax W3 pads front and back and some of the stop tech blanks I haven’t had a chance to put on. With 2 or 3 quarts of motul. If anyone needs a brake set in so cal right now let me know.
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bello For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-24-2020), Tcoat (06-21-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #94
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Man this was a complicated way to sell some brake pads

And my theory is two people went joyriding. One took the Chevelle, one took the FRS. They planned to bring them both back, but the Chevelle ran out of gas and they came back in the FRS and wrecked on the way back.

Was the Chevelle hot wired? or did they use a key?
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pallen For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-24-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #95
Bello

Drives: Scion FR-S 10-Series
The Chevelle doesnt really need a key. And it was recovered a few days later on a street that we had already driven on the day we noticed it missing.
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bello For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #96
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
The Chevelle doesnt really need a key. And it was recovered a few days later on a street that we had already driven on the day we noticed it missing.
I saw that too I'm surprised nobody said anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #97
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Were the doors locked?
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote