follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 05-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #225
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarmer View Post
UPDATE: Dealership (different that one that did the recall) has had my car for a little over a week, found stuff in the oil pan and some passageways, I have the service manager talking with Subaru and it looks like a new engine in coming my way. However they just asked for my oil change records, which of course is a stack of autozone receipts for full synthetic and K&N filters. Shouldn't be any issue.. right?
How long to get an engine? when my service manager/technical service engineer checked, there weren't any in Subaru inventory, in the U.S. That was probably a month or so ago.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #226
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
well.. looks like I'll be shooting for an attempt at a recall repair... just ran a compression test and cylinder 3 is at 90 with cylinder 1 at 180, 25k mile motor on the 2013 frs...hopefully a salvage title/registration pending wont be an issue..... ? fml...
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #227
kri$han

Drives: 2012 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord View Post

As I said on the Australian forum, the fact that this is now happening in the U.S., Canada and Australia, points towards a systemic problem and not a dealership specific one. Sealant placement seems like a fiddly job that requires a fair amount of concentration. Laps in concentration leads to catastrophic consequences. They--i.e Toyota--should have thought a bit harder about how to apply the sealant so that it wouldn't have caused problem. i.e a tool or jig to assist with the job.

I'm not sure what the legal situation is like in the U.S. but I don't think that they would have a leg to stand on if they pushed their luck in the Australian courts.
Yes, the service manager at the dealership thats fixing my car says that Toyota Canada has sent them a template with very careful instructions of how to apply RTV sealant to the timing cover, which is clogging up all the oil passages in our cars and starving the main bearings of oil (and/or leaking out of the timing cover itself).

I just hope they take their time and do it carefully... AND apply the RTV when the motor is cool, and give it plenty of time to cure before testing it...
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #228
slumlord

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$han View Post
Yes, the service manager at the dealership thats fixing my car says that Toyota Canada has sent them a template with very careful instructions of how to apply RTV sealant to the timing cover, which is clogging up all the oil passages in our cars and starving the main bearings of oil (and/or leaking out of the timing cover itself).

I just hope they take their time and do it carefully... AND apply the RTV when the motor is cool, and give it plenty of time to cure before testing it...
Wow! That's an interesting development.
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #229
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$han View Post

If they can make a template, why can't they make a gasket -

Yep, something sticky on one side and marked on one side - THIS SIDE OUT (AWAY FROM THE ENGINE)!

SMH

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ZZT86 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #230
Gunman

Garage
I wonder if its an actual 1:1 template, or just this:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-0191.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #231
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,469 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
dear god thank you my 2013 series 10 was not on the list for the recall
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #232
BrianBRZ

Drives: BRZ 2013
Garage
2013 BRZ post recall issues.

2013 BRZ Stock and 86k
~500 miles since recall done

I took the chance that the dealership here had 7 successful recall fixes. Yesterday after driving and it was hot it sounded like a very, very loud bird. Called subaru; said to call if any other symptoms.
Today, almost stalled out at light. Shortly after, a few minutes, All lights popped on and stalled out. So far starts back up. Going to limp it home and hope it gets there and call again.
BRZ’s haven’t been as affected as the FRS so took the chance, considering it ran perfectly and never a problem prior to recall I am seriously concerned.

Got it back home. It kept nearly dying at every stop sign and light but didn’t stall out again. While the motor has been quiet and sounding good previous to yesterday, it again sounds like a very large, loud bird is under the hood. Sound coming from block, not belts or hoses or pulleys.
The Rpms drop low, sub 400, then it catches and rights itself.
Taking it in tomorrow. If need be the shop foreman who did the work will drive around with me awhile to see/feel/hear what I do.
When it’s cold it sounds great and runs fine, doesn’t try to die and doesn’t have the loud bird under the hood.
Adding that at times it feels sluggish or bogging with acceleration intermittently.
Putting this here as others have had same issue and so it doesn’t get lost on enthusiast page. Will keep this updated.

Last edited by BrianBRZ; 05-11-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added sentence, clarified rpm for accuracy
BrianBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianBRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #233
Gunman

Garage
The notion that BRZ's have been affected less, isn't really accurate, when you look at the ratio of recalled BRZ's to FRS's, it matches up pretty well.

Symptoms sound familiar. I bet the codes are related to the intake timing, probably on the RH side.

fwiw, service manager mentioned to me the other day, that hey have another BRZ in post recall, going down the same path as mine.

Last edited by Gunman; 05-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #234
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
First, I’d get the large bird out from under your hood.

Second, that noise is probably metal and a different metal touching where they shouldn’t. Push it and it may spit that bearing out and knock, or gall and seize. Gall and sieze on a manual transmission is no fun. Get it back ASAP, I’d tow it.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 AM   #235
BrianBRZ

Garage
Results

So the large bird is the usual chirpy issue, I should have thought of this but it’s been hot out which means it gets louder.

The shop foreman, whom I know somewhat, took the car and after spending quite a bit of time on it was very annoyed to find that the mechanic he assigned to plug in all the hoses etc. did not connect the fuel purge line and a few other connections were not seated correctly. End result is I have the car back after this scare and he went through it top to bottom himself to ensure everything is as it should be.
Often the shop will have the foreman or top mechanic do all the hard work and once everything is together assign someone to finish it up. In this case nobody checked that persons work as should have been done.

So for now, at 500ish miles, it is running fine now. They also flashed the ecu for the ac/idle issue which I had asked them to do in ‘14 and it was never done. At least I didn’t pay anything.

Last edited by BrianBRZ; 05-11-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Accuracy, fixed autocorrect correction.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:27 AM   #236
BrianBRZ

Garage
The chirpy issue is the oil pressure pump, may be wrong on part I’m recalling what was said. Hotter it gets outside and the motor the louder it gets. Just hadn’t heard it that loud before. In ‘16 Subaru added sound dampening around the lines and unit but changed nothing else which is why there are less complaints at that point supposedly.

Bs or not??
Old 05-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #237
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBRZ View Post
The chirpy issue is the oil pressure pump, may be wrong on part I’m recalling what was said. Hotter it gets outside and the motor the louder it gets. Just hadn’t heard it that loud before. In ‘16 Subaru added sound dampening around the lines and unit but changed nothing else which is why there are less complaints at that point supposedly.

Bs or not??
The infamous chirp is from the high pressure fuel pump, not the oil pump.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #238
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Reading this thread is like reading the Puyallup police blotter - I shouldn't be reading either one -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (05-11-2019)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring