follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Get a cat in there. I have a cat for noise/rasp elimination an 8" muffler tip and a resonator. Mine sounds perfect imo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Start there and see how it goes. Keep your catless header for now and see how you like the sound. There are some aftermarket catted headers out there that flow well. It's like anything else, people love to lump everything into one pile "30whp for uncatted, 15whp for catted", but it's inaccurate when comparing actual headers. Also IMHO headers are for improved torque dip and sound more than anything. It's not like going from a catted header to a non-catted header on these cars are going to make a big difference. We're talking going from a slowish car to a slightly less slowish car
I get you on the catted vs uncatted header, but once im boosted that extra air flow should help, I think i will put the factory FP back on and if i buy anything i will get the JDL ultra quiet front pipe with the HFC and resonator
Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Get a cat in there. I have a cat for noise/rasp elimination an 8" muffler tip and a resonator. Mine sounds perfect imo.

video? whats your whole setup?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #18
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
video? whats your whole setup?

Ultimate Racing full exhaust and turbo.

Catted down pipe (high flow metal substrate, whatever that means) , gruppe s uel catless headers, ultimate racing single exit catback

Old 03-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #19
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
I get you on the catted vs uncatted header, but once im boosted that extra air flow should help, I think i will put the factory FP back on and if i buy anything i will get the JDL ultra quiet front pipe with the HFC and resonator
Yeah going FI flow will matter a bit more for sure - a good aftermarket header with a quality HFC should be fine, but uncatted will always get you more. Just depends on how loud you can tolerate
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #20
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm running catless with zero rasp. HKS catless header, 2.75" Ultimate Racing catless and resonated over-front pipe and resonated Perrin exhaust. Just get a resonated front pipe, I'd recommend the same 2.75" Ultimate Racing over/front combo personally.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cat in the header will lose too much power. Hi Flow in the front pipe wont lose as much and absolutely clean up the sound.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #22
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Cat in the header will lose too much power. Hi Flow in the front pipe wont lose as much and absolutely clean up the sound.
Agreed. I would like catless but a better sound > bad gas mix flames/pops lol. I still get backfires from time to time, but my car is tolerable in and out with my current setup. They (ur) said it'd be stupid loud with the turbo,but it actually got quieter but crazy bassy and sounds perfect imo. Sounds stock and even wot isn't bad. I'm sti surprised how low the sound is now.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Lol at people saying you need cats to eliminate rasp. The key is resonators, high quality ones and the length of them, the longer the better. You may need 3-4 of them, I had 4 resonators when I was n/a, fully catless, no rasp. 3 12” ones and one 18”. Resonators are for frequencies, mufflers are for lowering sound. The closer the resonators are to the engine, the more effective they will be. Yes cats will help, but if you do not want cats, it’s not impossible, they are not KEY. The best rasp eliminator is a turbo.
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #24
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust86 View Post
Lol at people saying you need cats to eliminate rasp. The key is resonators, high quality ones and the length of them, the longer the better. You may need 3-4 of them, I had 4 resonators when I was n/a, fully catless, no rasp. 3 12” ones and one 18”. Resonators are for frequencies, mufflers are for lowering sound. The closer the resonators are to the engine, the more effective they will be. Yes cats will help, but if you do not want cats, it’s not impossible, they are not KEY. The best rasp eliminator is a turbo.
The condescending, lol. Back it up if they aren't key, because you're just saying the same thing as us but for resonators. I had a resonator on my last exhaust and it was rasp af. Cats helped it a ton single handedly. I was told cats help with rasp. Resonators help with sound lvl.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #25
Trust86

Quote:
The condescending, lol. Back it up if they aren't key, because you're just saying the same thing as us but for resonators. I had a resonator on my last exhaust and it was rasp af. Cats helped it a ton single handedly. I was told cats help with rasp. Resonators help with sound lvl.

Oh you’re from CA, sorry. I know y’all love cats over there. More power to you. And OP doesn’t want cats. My statement is true if he is trying to avoid cats. A single resonator? I said I had 4. Cats help with emissions and justifying your purchase of it, that’s it lol. Resonators do help with sound level, maybe 1-2 dB. Mufflers are designed to lower dB levels, resonators are for rasp. Then you have straight through mufflers which are basically a big ass resonators. Who ever told you resonators are for sound level is on crack. Probably the same guy who sold you a cat.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #26
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

While not the same car.
My NA had no cat and I pretty much eliminated the rasp by welding in resonators.
Headers > 2x Resonators >Straight through can exhaust.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frv4tgyVOEM[/ame]
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (03-28-2019), Trust86 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #27
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
If you want to stay catless the HKS Dual Resonated front pipe will do wonders for rasp. I switched to Hooker Blackheart Catted/Resonated FP because I could no longer take the smell of being catless. Both are good for rasp and cleaning up the sound
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #28
Trust86

Or if your ballin, get the Fujitsubo dual resonated front pipe, it’s supposed to be the same or quieter than the OEM front pipe which really is amazing I think. The data is somewhere on here (the forum). I don’t know how they tested it, I forgot. If it was with OEM catback or aftermarket. I’m sure someone will find it and chime in.