follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,002 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
It's possible to crack a connector and not immediately get a CEL and then release the car to the owner. I doubt they set the chain wrong, that would be super rookie. Everything is keyed on these gears so it's kind of impossible to put them on incorrectly especially if you don't take the actual gear apart. When I did my rebuild I did take mine apart to make sure they were clear of any potential bearing material. There is a little spring loaded door that can fly off which then allows a valve to fall out. Maybe it flew off and they didn't notice or maybe they did notice and then put the valve back in backwards (because it can go in either way and only one way is correct and the manual doesn't talk about the orientation). Anyways, there are lots of threads around here with people going around and around trying to resolve VVT issues. Replace OCVs, reshim cam sensors, replace cam sensors, replace gears, ecus and on and on. Let's hope he doesn't go down this road.
Thanks for the "heads up" there ermax.

However, like ol @MuseChaser expressed, it ain't helpen me being calm about this process.

Yep, my machine is on the recall list. Yes, I know, because I have the recall notice sitting on my desk (unopened).

Question for ol @Tcoat , if I don't open it up, and decide NOT to have the recall done, will they know that I received the notice??

Right now, I'm more concerned about getting hot water into the house.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-29-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you take your car to the dealer they will want to do the recall. Some states (California?) won't let you renew your registration without completing the recall.

They can't require you to come in. If you don't want to get it done, don't get it done. Recalls never expire. Never. If you hold off and a spring fails in 10 years, it will all be fixed under the recall.

Where I work there is an older car with a recall from 10+ years ago. Oil in the engine harness. Most of those cars don't come to the dealer for service. When they do come in with a check engine light, oil in the harness, oil in the O2 sensors, oil in the MAFS, etc. it all gets fixed on the recall. If the recall had been performed when it came out they would probably never have these issues. But they definitely wouldn't be getting thousands of dollars of parts for free.

Oddly enough, I've never had a recall on any car I've owned. 10 vehicles of varied brands over 17 years. Must be lucky
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks for the "heads up" there ermax.

However, like ol @MuseChaser expressed, it ain't helpen me being calm about this process.

Yep, my machine is on the recall list. Yes, I know, because I have the recall notice sitting on my desk (unopened).

Question for ol @Tcoat , if I don't open it up, and decide NOT to have the recall done, will they know that I received the notice??

Right now, I'm more concerned about getting hot water into the house.

humfrz
There will be some issues with a small percentage of the repairs since shit happens. It will likely be well under 5%. If there is an issue they will fix it. It COSTS them money every time there is a problem since they will not be reimbursed for that additional work. We rarely hear when things go well so the whole perspective is skewed to the bad. I have already said that if it was me I would not get it done. Not because I am afraid they will screw anything up but because at 120,000 miles if it hasn't failed it isn't likely too.
humfrz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #18
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
If you take your car to the dealer they will want to do the recall. Some states (California?) won't let you renew your registration without completing the recall.

They can't require you to come in. If you don't want to get it done, don't get it done. Recalls never expire. Never. If you hold off and a spring fails in 10 years, it will all be fixed under the recall.

Where I work there is an older car with a recall from 10+ years ago. Oil in the engine harness. Most of those cars don't come to the dealer for service. When they do come in with a check engine light, oil in the harness, oil in the O2 sensors, oil in the MAFS, etc. it all gets fixed on the recall. If the recall had been performed when it came out they would probably never have these issues. But they definitely wouldn't be getting thousands of dollars of parts for free.

Oddly enough, I've never had a recall on any car I've owned. 10 vehicles of varied brands over 17 years. Must be lucky
OK. Thanks for your insight -

So, are you sure that the bolded statement in your post, holds true for the state of Washington?

humfrz
Old 01-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,001 Times in 11,401 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

So, are you sure that the bolded statement in your post, holds true for the state of Washington?

humfrz
Recalls aren't governed by state law. They should be consistent across the US.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There will be some issues with a small percentage of the repairs since shit happens. It will likely be well under 5%. If there is an issue they will fix it. It COSTS them money every time there is a problem since they will not be reimbursed for that additional work. We rarely hear when things go well so the whole perspective is skewed to the bad. I have already said that if it was me I would not get it done. Not because I am afraid they will screw anything up but because at 120,000 miles if it hasn't failed it isn't likely too.
OK, oh wise one. If your car was the same age but only had 23,000 miles on it, would you feel the same way?

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-29-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
OK, oh wise one. If your car was the same age but only had 23,000 miles on it, would you feel the same way?

humfrz
No I would not and ZI would get it done.
humfrz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #22
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:

humfrz
This is written on the cover page of every recall I deal with.

"Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
 Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
 Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described.

Please note that Recall Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator."

Their emphasis, not added.
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #23
humfrz

Quote:
This is written on the cover page of every recall I deal with.

"Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
 Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
 Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described.

Please note that Recall Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator."

Their emphasis, not added.
Got it.

Thanks for your follow up -

humfrz
Old 01-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #24
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Got it.

Thanks for your follow up -

humfrz
No problem

I've done recalls on cars from the '70s, warranty work on a 30 year old car They're always really nice cars too, seeing as they haven't been to a dealer in that entire time.

Quick story time. There was a diesel in the late 70s early 80s that had a "soot trap" on the exhaust. Basically what a diesel particulate filter is now, but they were mechanical engines and had no way to do a regeneration or burn them out. They slowly filled with the black soot junk and had to be replaced, I believe it was every 50k service. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, and Jimmy's Lube and Tires wouldn't have any idea, so they never got changed.

Eventually they would plug up and explode, right on top of the engine under the hood. Someone decided that was a bad thing. Instead of offering free replacements for life, they issued a recall to remove the soot trap and install a straight piece of pipe, eliminating it completely.

I had to do the recall, would have been 2014 or so. Car had 100k + miles on it, with the original soot trap. The guy had been driving around literally with a bomb under the hood for years and years. I think the recall payed 4ish hours, I lost time on it. What a pain.

We still have 70s/80s cars come in with open recalls, subframes that crack and fail, clips to hold the gas pedal in, etc. If those cars don't come to the dealer for any service they just drive around with potential major issues for years.

Last edited by maslin; 01-24-2019 at 02:52 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-29-2019), humfrz (01-24-2019), Tcoat (01-24-2019), Ultramaroon (01-29-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #25
humfrz

Quote:
No problem

I've done recalls on cars from the '70s, warranty work on a 30 year old car They're always really nice cars too, seeing as they haven't been to a dealer in that entire time.
Now, THAT brings to mind a recall story (I'm sorry - I just can't help it).

I think I've told this story before, but we shall see if ol @Tcoat is payen attention.

It was a hot day in July in California, when I opened up my mail and discovered a recall notice for my brand new 1970 MGB-GT.

The weekend before, I had just wrang it out, screaming up in the hills to Mt Hamilton.

The recall said that I was to immediately have my MG transported to the closest dealership for repair - BECAUSE, THE STEERING WHEEL LOCKING MECHANISM ON SOME CARS WAS LOCKING while the car was moving and under hard right hand turns -

So, the next day, I charted a course from the southern part of San Jose to downtown San Jose, MAKING ONLY LEFT HAND TURNS, to get it "fixed".

THE END

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-29-2019), maslin (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #26
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,370 Times in 8,676 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Now, THAT brings to mind a recall story (I'm sorry - I just can't help it).

I think I've told this story before, but we shall see if ol @Tcoat is payen attention.

It was a hot day in July in California, when I opened up my mail and discovered a recall notice for my brand new 1970 MGB-GT.

The weekend before, I had just wrang it out, screaming up in the hills to Mt Hamilton.

The recall said that I was to immediately have my MG transported to the closest dealership for repair - BECAUSE, THE STEERING WHEEL LOCKING MECHANISM ON SOME CARS WAS LOCKING while the car was moving and under hard right hand turns -

So, the next day, I charted a course from the southern part of San Jose to downtown San Jose, MAKING ONLY LEFT HAND TURNS, to get it "fixed".

THE END

humfrz

Yep, repeat. It' ok, you need a hot shower.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #27
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
105k (problem free I'm assuming) miles!? I would have skipped the recall
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
Pinoy_FRS

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys so I finally got my car back again earlier this morning. Car is running great as of right now. I’ll see how it does in the next few days. As for the check engine light this is what is written on my invoice:

“Cause: p000b cam position b timing slow response bank 1, p0014 cam position b timing over advanced or system performance. I active tested both exhaust vvti systems and found bank 1 had a delay. I swapped the oil control valves and found the delay followed the ocv to bank 2. I road tested the car 55 miles and could not get a code to set, monitor passed.

Correction: replaced bank 1 exhaust vvti solenoid. Active tested the vvti system and the delayed engagement did not happen, road tested 14 miles, the monitor is complete and the code did not return”

So to my understanding (still not that mechanically inclined) it was my vvt gear? Oil pressure wasn’t getting high enough to drive in higher rpms?
Pinoy_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote