follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
newft86

Drives: 86 Every Chance I get!!!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
86 Test Drives

Hi all, due to the popularity of our 86 company demonstrator, all future test drives will be by appointment only and conducted during daylight business hours Monday to Friday only. i.e. 8.30am-4.30pm.

We do not charge any fees for test drives, however, preference will be given to purchasers.
newft86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newft86 For This Useful Post:
m0nty (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's rude to just turn up and expect to jump into a demonstrator anyway.

However, anyone asked to provide money for a test drive should hang up the phone and call another dealer.

If you're in Sydney, sounds like you could do a lot worse than call the OP of this thread. No, I don't know him.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Sucks for those people who work long hours Monday to Friday huh.....
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Loki556

Drives: RA23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I went to a Subaru dealer on Saturday, they gave me the keys and said "Go for a drive mate". I said how long? They said 30mins/1 hour just don't crash it. I said I don't know the area - they said don't worry about it, just take your time.

So wifey and I jumped into a car and had a nice long drive with no salesman cramped in the back seat.

Loved it. If all Subaru dealers are like this, just go to one instead.

PS: This is before I put any money down or anything like that. Yes, right now I would buy a Subaru over the Toyota going buy the buying experience.
Loki556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
mikedsilva
Retail Sales Manager

Drives: Ducati Sport 1000 Harley Nightster
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy a demonstrator from a dealer that just let people take it by themselves.

I know that some people prefer to be given keys and go by themselves, but remember, this is not customer service. In fact it is a lack of service. No one to answer questions or tell you about the car.

We tend to act as caretakers of our cars. Yes, we have declined test drives to some people; perhaps 5%. Our staff want people to experience the car, but at the same time, they know that one day, we will sell this car and we can do it with full integrity, knowing the car has been well looked after.

We have gotten to the point also of test driving by appointment only.
Unfortunately, when it take 12-18months to get a car, I cannot let my salespeope be tied up when they should be spending time with other clients more immediate purchase needs.

It's a bit of a tough one, but if someone wants to buy a brand because of their perception of service, then I guess that is their choice.

So, after driving the subaru, are you planning to buy one on Monday at noon?
mikedsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedsilva For This Useful Post:
newft86 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
vtecr

Drives: wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post

2nd that!
vtecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Xauterus

Drives: GTS 86 Galaxy Blue
I didn't need a test drive. I placed an order in December and had decided I wanted one. I didn't feel a 15 minute spin behind the wheel would show me the talents of the car. Round town it's really just a car. When it's on the twisty roads is when it excells.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Maj3sty

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Orange AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by newft86 View Post
We do not charge any fees for test drives, however, preference will be given to purchasers.
How will preference be given to purchasers or to be purchasers if they haven't been given a test drive in the first place?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
mikedsilva
Retail Sales Manager

Drives: Ducati Sport 1000 Harley Nightster
Most dealers had already sold their first 2 months worth of cars, MONTHS before the pricing was even released. None of these people got to test drive..

As harsh as this sounds, this is the way it "might" go:
Customer walks in and asks about 86.. Sales person says, "18 months to get one".
Customer says, "I don't want to wait that long; this is bullshit. I hate Toyota and I blame you the salesperson for everything"... long pause.... "but can I go for a drive anyway?"

As you can imagine, why would someone want to take that person for a drive?
I don't think a dealer is bound to do it...

We have taken a few orders "subject to test drive". That is, you acknowledge the absurdly long wait, you acknowledge the price, you understand that we are not going to value your trade in since it will be worth much less at the end of next year. You agree that you will have to pay a non-refundable deposit (if you change your mind and do not want it anymore).... once this is all done, then you go for a drive.
You will obviously like it and viola, deal done.
This is a good scenario for the dealer, but in reality it's probably half way between A and B.

Hope no one takes offence to this post.
mikedsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Loki556

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
I wouldn't buy a demonstrator from a dealer that just let people take it by themselves.
Hi Mike, I am happy to answer your questions. Understand this, I am just telling you how it is from a customer perspective - I fully understand the dealer view, but I hope to give you an insight into the customers perspective.

First of all, I really really prefer going for a test drive myself, without the salesperson in the car with me. When I go for a test drive, its in a vehicle I am seriously considering buying and have done reaserch on.

Its a "feeling" thing. When I have the salesperson in the car, I just can't relax and enjoy the drive as I would by myself, listen to the engine, etc. Just isn't the same. I've test driven a few cars and while I can kind of understand the situation with the 86, I've had salesmen insist they come with me when we test drove a Mazda 2/Swift for the wife - completely changes the experience. Didn't buy from either one of them, ended up getting the car from somewhere else. Funny aside, same dealership different guy didn't fret one moment about letting me drive a Mazda 6 by myself. I didn't end up buying the car, but I would go back to him.

To answer your second question: after the service I got from the Subaru dealership, which was no nonsense complete openess in regards to order situation, being told that as much as they want, they can't promise anything but they will try their damn hardest and let me know every step of the way and if they can't do it in the timeframe I need they'll tell me and refund my money, I will attempt to buy the car on Monday. My only issue is timeframes - sold my car on Sat! So I will hang on to the 86 order as well for the time being.

PS: Wife was of the same opinion - she loved the way they treated us. She was almost telling me to buy a WRX if I can't get the BRZ in the timeframe we need!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
BenjKC

Drives: White Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj3sty View Post
How will preference be given to purchasers or to be purchasers if they haven't been given a test drive in the first place?
Because there were people like me who preordered the car before ever seeing one in person.

The day I dropped by for the test drive, there were ten others waiting in line for a spin and I thought I was going to have to wait up to an hour. It was kind of nice to be given priority even though Andrew already had my sale. It's little things like that, that make a customer feel like they're being taken care of.
BenjKC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BenjKC For This Useful Post:
newft86 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
m0nty

Drives: 86 GT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newft86 View Post
Hi all, due to the popularity of our 86 company demonstrator, all future test drives will be by appointment only and conducted during daylight business hours Monday to Friday only. i.e. 8.30am-4.30pm.

That's uncanny. We just made the exact same decision this afternoon. I thought someone had leaked or internal email.
m0nty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
m0nty

Drives: 86 GT
Garage
Here's a scenario from today.

One of the sales guys had four test drives before 1130. He was getting frustrated because people were leaving immediately after test driving. I told him to slow things down and build the sale. He said that the test drive is the sale.

Later in the day I met a guy that had been at Subaru. The sales guy knew nothing about the car. I knew more about his car than he did and proceeded to tell the customer about the differences between the Subaru and Toyota. He asked for a test drive and I said "of course, but lets make sure we don't miss anything along the way."

We sat down and I told him about the spec differences between the GT and GTS. He really liked the GTS. So my next question was in relation to his timeframe. Could he wait 18 months for a car?

His answer was no. So I suggested we focus on GT. He wasn't that keen at first but I mentioned that we had a demo fit sale with immediate delivery. I wanted to find out what he liked about the GTS. He was keen on sat nav and push button start. We discussed dealer fitted sat nav and he was happy with that. Then we discussed finance and he spoke with our business manager. Again happy with the outcome. He mentioned he would have to speak to his parents so I gave him the time to call them. His mother thought that insurance would be too expensive so I passed him the phone to get a quote. $1,200! Happy again.

I then confirmed that assuming the test drive would be to his liking that he had no objection to buying the car. He agreed. So we went for the drive. He loved the car of course and we did the deal. He picks it up Tuesday at the latest.

The point being, we have a job to do. It isn't just about test driving cars. If a sales person keeps a test drive request at arms length he's just making sure that there will be less objections towards the end of the sale. We are often criticized for cutting corners, so don't hate us when we are just doing our job properly. At the end of the whole experience he was absolutely chomping at the bit to drive that car and I created that excitement.

If I had originally agreed to his request for test drive he would've driven the car only to be disappointed at all the other things not covered and probably would've walked out just like the other guys.

Test driving customers is not an obligation. We are consultants. If we don't consult, we are not doing our job.
m0nty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m0nty For This Useful Post:
Dorikin (07-15-2012), newft86 (07-15-2012), TheDemons (07-15-2012), vtecr (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Loki556

Monty, one does not negate the other. Of course you are not doing your job correctly if you are just letting people go on test drives without pitching the sale first.

And I completely agree, test drive is not the sale. BUT - its a very important part of the sale. For myself, going out with nobody peering over my shoulder just goes that much better, I came back with a huge smile and a dead bug on the bumper

Yes, they knew I was serious as I knew more about the car then they did, I am also not 18 anymore , I guess that plays a part.

But the difference is, people are being turned away from 86 test drives if they don't place a deposit, they can't go by themselves even if they are serious about buying, etc - it creates a perception. I think Nick Senior specifically told Subaru dealerships to act in the opposite way, as he knew the only way they can beat Toyota with lower number of cars coming in is with superior customer service.