follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #43
Thunderchicken

Drives: 2008 STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post
If you are that concerned with gas mileage, I think you should have gotten a VW diesel. Seriously? That much effort to save MAYBE $1.00 per tank?
I agree. I think what everyone has said to include myself is to keep the car in gear. In all 50 states and most countries with enforced auto laws cruising in neutral is a moving violation, because it's unsafe. Some laws have been written in blood, and I'm pretty sure this one was because OP decided that he wanted to save a $1.00 at the pump and couldn't grab a gear quick enough to move his car out of the situation.
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderchicken For This Useful Post:
Thongpocket (07-22-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lol the point isn't to save gas all the time, but to save gas when driving regularly and go fkin crazy when u want to. It also helps me stay awake on long cruises

So since people arre bashing the onboard computer, I guess ill try a physical test? Fill up gas tank full, drive in a certain style and see how much gas is consumed.
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #45
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
Lol the point isn't to save gas all the time, but to save gas when driving regularly and go fkin crazy when u want to. It also helps me stay awake on long cruises

So since people arre bashing the onboard computer, I guess ill try a physical test? Fill up gas tank full, drive in a certain style and see how much gas is consumed.
If you're going to do it, try cutting the pulse to 65-70mph rather than 75, the faster your maximum speed, the less effective it is. If you are willing to go slower you might be able to get a full tank well over 40mpg, although time is worth money too. Not to mention a smaller variation of speeds is less annoying to other drivers.

I just noticed a mistake, you said you went to 120km/h then down to 90km/h and assumed your average was 105. It's probably a little bit lower (how much I won't say, maybe like 100km/h vs. 105km/h not too big of a deal), since the rate at which you lose speed on the coast isn't constant, and neither is your acceleration most likely. That's the problem with speeding up and slowing down, your average speed is lower for how fast you're going at the quickest.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #46
the_3d_man

Drives: 2007 Legacy GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
One more argument against driving like this: It's ANNOYING AS F***ING HELL to people driving around you.
the_3d_man is offline   Reply With Quote