follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #71
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My unit has trouble due to high mileage as well.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #72
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,999 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I retired my unit ...... it had served me well ...... but it was time just to leave it tucked away .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-07-2018), Rakshaa (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #73
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Oh, I'm quite familiar with your type: you claim to be citizens of The Crown, yet pass for Americans when it suits you.... as long as you don't have to say "about", "room", or reference the letter "Z".
Once I entered Canuckistan and when asked if I had weapons, I had to give up my bear mace (it was in Maine after all). I had to sign a form saying that I was forfeiting my weapon to "the crown". I asked Frenchy McFrencherson which crown I was giving my shit up to, and he just shrugged. I thought you guys had some sort of parliamentary system, when did you elect a King?

Or are you an autonomous collective?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE"]Right of Self Determination - Monty Python Holy Grail : Autonomous Collective - YouTube[/ame]
(that was filmed in Canada, on location a few years ago)
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
ToySub1946 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #74
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Once I entered Canuckistan and when asked if I had weapons, I had to give up my bear mace (it was in Maine after all). I had to sign a form saying that I was forfeiting my weapon to "the crown". I asked Frenchy McFrencherson which crown I was giving my shit up to, and he just shrugged. I thought you guys had some sort of parliamentary system, when did you elect a King?

Or are you an autonomous collective?
The Quebecois give no Francs.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
guybo (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #75
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
188,000 kms. Winter driven 14. Throw out bearing exploded and took out clutch and flywheel but that was my own fault for waiting too long after it started squawking. Engine bay looks like a 40 year old barn find car but everything works well. All untreated bolts are covered in surface rust which although ugly has not seemed to harm their performance. Stock struts on 1.5 inch lowering springs all still strong and working. Front bumper, hood and fenders look like they were hit by a claymore blast but some dent removal and a coat of paint will take care of that this summer. Still on the original brake pads and rotors with plenty of life left still. Big section of the bolster in my driver seat missing where the seat bet got caught between it and the door and I got a little vigorous in pulling it out. Most of my interior rattles, squeaks and squawks seem to have died of old age or just simply worn into place. Still haven't done the plugs and have noticed zero drop in performance or mileage. Original battery works well even in the coldest weather when I leave the dome light on overnight. All four wheels still unblemished by curb rash or stone hits (I have no idea how that has stayed that way).
gives me hope that i can get away with 99% of what the stealership is trying to tell me lol i probably will do most of it this summer but itll be in my driveway on my own time and dollar. for the throw out bearing, what is that and what do i need to look/hear for? lol and do you have any other suspension components for the 1.5" drop? i was looking at getting coils for a 1.5" drop this summer and wondering what else is needed to gather all the essential parts
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
gives me hope that i can get away with 99% of what the stealership is trying to tell me lol i probably will do most of it this summer but itll be in my driveway on my own time and dollar. for the throw out bearing, what is that and what do i need to look/hear for? lol and do you have any other suspension components for the 1.5" drop? i was looking at getting coils for a 1.5" drop this summer and wondering what else is needed to gather all the essential parts
The TOB is the bearing that disengages the clutch on a MT. There was an issue with the lube on the pre 16 cars and the bearing can start to squeal and eventually seize and ruin the clutch. If it starts to go there will be very loud squeals especial on start up. You can make the noise come and go by pushing the clutch. If it starts to go you will have no doubt what it is. Not an issue if you have an AT.

To drop anything over an inch you need camber bolts for the front and lower control arms in the rear. That is about it though. There are some very good write ups in the suspension sub forum here.

Of all the items in the 100K service having the brakes done is probably the most important. It is just an inspect, clean and lube which you can do yourself if so inclined. If you have an AT you will want the fluid changed which is quite the process for this car. Not hard to do really but you need to make sure you follow all the steps.
funwheeldrive (03-08-2018), JustSomeGuy (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #77
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Quote:
The TOB is the bearing that disengages the clutch on a MT. There was an issue with the lube on the pre 16 cars and the bearing can start to squeal and eventually seize and ruin the clutch. If it starts to go there will be very loud squeals especial on start up. You can make the noise come and go by pushing the clutch. If it starts to go you will have no doubt what it is. Not an issue if you have an AT.

To drop anything over an inch you need camber bolts for the front and lower control arms in the rear. That is about it though. There are some very good write ups in the suspension sub forum here.

Of all the items in the 100K service having the brakes done is probably the most important. It is just an inspect, clean and lube which you can do yourself if so inclined. If you have an AT you will want the fluid changed which is quite the process for this car. Not hard to do really but you need to make sure you follow all the steps.
ah gotcha, im one of those "people" who drive an AT aha so im glad thats one less worry

ah okay gotcha gotcha, so the oem tophats are okay for use still? ill be sure to check them out more as i want to make sure i have everything in place

yeah i figured most if not everything for the service is doable on your own time which i plan on tackling with some buddies this summer. its time i learn the ways of owning a car while im young lol thanks tcoat
Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #78
Tcoat

Quote:
ah gotcha, im one of those "people" who drive an AT aha so im glad thats one less worry

ah okay gotcha gotcha, so the oem tophats are okay for use still? ill be sure to check them out more as i want to make sure i have everything in place

yeah i figured most if not everything for the service is doable on your own time which i plan on tackling with some buddies this summer. its time i learn the ways of owning a car while im young lol thanks tcoat
Top hats may or may not be OK depending on what you go with. Check the requirements of what you are looking at.
If you haven't seen these before here is a link to all of the service manuals (thanks to @Ultramaroon they are easy to find) which will walk you through each process step by step.

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/
JustSomeGuy (03-08-2018), Ultramaroon (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #79
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Quote:
Top hats may or may not be OK depending on what you go with. Check the requirements of what you are looking at.
If you haven't seen these before here is a link to all of the service manuals (thanks to @Ultramaroon they are easy to find) which will walk you through each process step by step.

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/
go with as in what coilovers i go with? or for like camber and such?
okay ill have to save this, thanks itll be a great read
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #80
Tcoat

Quote:
go with as in what coilovers i go with? or for like camber and such?
okay ill have to save this, thanks itll be a great read
With what coilover you choose.

LOL it is several thousand pages.
JustSomeGuy (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #81
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Quote:
With what coilover you choose.

LOL it is several thousand pages.
ah okay gotcha, thanks!

if i start now ill finish by the time this snow clears up lol guess that teaches me i need to click the link before making a silly comment
Old 04-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #82
auryn79

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
115k right now and I haven't had any serious problems with the car other than upgrading from a failing clutch although that was due to my early bad habits with riding the clutch. I shift better now. Also had one of the belts replaced due to a crack.

Got it at 12k back in 2014 and has been my daily as of December last year. Been switching between it and my Ram 1500 I got in November for my Daily drive. Transmission, Diff, Brake and regular oil changed on regular intervals. All the basic maintenance done by myself.

I plan on getting new brakes and tires in the near future.
auryn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auryn79 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #83
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
To drop anything over an inch you need camber bolts for the front and lower control arms in the rear.
IIRC you have the TRD springs on your car, right? Did you install camber bolts? Were there any alignment issues?

I have a set of the TRD springs sitting over there in the corner in a box. I didn't think I needed camber bolts, but your comment sounds like they might put it right at the limit.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #84
Envirotech

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Daily driver, winter driven, 182K and counting. No serious issues, just regular maintenance. Brakes, wheel bearings, oil, filter, etc. Had it in to the dealer at 100K for major service, and will be taking in again around 200K.
Envirotech is offline   Reply With Quote