follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #57
Tim_Asphalt_FRS
Is it fast? No.

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual-Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach3794 View Post
I went with the Apex'i drop in filter, Berk Catted Front Pipe, and Invidia N1 Catback. I've been really considering the borla UEL header. My Deatchworks pump is on the way actually...getting your E85 map soon hopefully
So how's the tune after having it a few weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 (Rebadged) Toyota GT-86 {Perrin intake tube, aFe dry air filter, custom 2.5" exhaust, PLM overpipe, Kartboy crank pulley, Hotchkis springs, custom Flossy grip tape shorty, TRD shifter, Berk HFC, Whiteline Sway-bars}
[Wanted: Delicious Stg 2 tune, Bilstein struts]
Tim_Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #58
Zach3794

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Raven, Manual
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Asphalt_FRS View Post

Funny you should ask...in the past few days the car has actually gotten even smoother for some reason. It's like the car adjusted itself even further, or settled into the tune or something, idk. I can't work it why in my head, I'm just happy it's improving itself if anything! Still haven't had idle issues since pre tune, no dead spot in 3-4k anymore, keeps pulling hard to redline, etc.

This weekend Bill is added the E85 map and launch control I suppose. Might see what other goodies he has for me
Zach3794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #59
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Asphalt_FRS View Post

funny question any tuner worth his money tunes DONT CHANGE...
unlike several tuners here who leave the ecu in adaptive mode so the tunes change and you loose power....They do this to coverup their lack of how an engine works.

A tuner who understands LOCKS IN their tunes...
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robispec For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #60
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
" It's like the car adjusted itself even further, or settled into the tune or something, idk."

or your foot on the throttle as you dont need to hammer it any more to get the response...lol
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robispec For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #61
Zach3794

Quote:
Originally Posted by robispec View Post
" It's like the car adjusted itself even further, or settled into the tune or something, idk."

or your foot on the throttle as you dont need to hammer it any more to get the response...lol
That could be it too Robi. But in the past few days I have noticed a bit of a difference. Come to think of it, that was right after I filled up. Doh. I always use Shell 91 except for some reason this last fillup I used 76 gas. Interesting, car certainly has more kick to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #62
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I experienced something similar with my old car(srt4), I would use shell religiously, but then every time I went to my parents I would get gas near their place(76 gas) and I ALWAYS got better mpg afterward. No change in driving style or change in city/hwy percentage either...
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #63
Zach3794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
I experienced something similar with my old car(srt4), I would use shell religiously, but then every time I went to my parents I would get gas near their place(76 gas) and I ALWAYS got better mpg afterward. No change in driving style or change in city/hwy percentage either...
Well now I don't feel so crazy. :P I'm guessing it's just a difference in additives?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #64
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
With the FBM turbo kit on this same dyno I put down the following:

190 WHP on the basemap from FBM
207 WHP after the tune

8 psi
91 octane
stock exhaust, stock wheels/tires

Definitely a heart breaker dyno. Supposedly 135 WHP is about the baseline for a stock FRS.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #65
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robispec View Post
funny question any tuner worth his money tunes DONT CHANGE...
unlike several tuners here who leave the ecu in adaptive mode so the tunes change and you loose power....They do this to coverup their lack of how an engine works.

A tuner who understands LOCKS IN their tunes...
Anyone have info on whether some of these shelf bought tunes (perrin, visconti, fa20club) lock in their tunes?
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #66
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Anyone have info on whether some of these shelf bought tunes (perrin, visconti, fa20club) lock in their tunes?
what he said.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #67
ragnarokfps

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
First off, I apologize for being defensive, was a bit of a bad day at work when I posted that response. And to clarify when I got my car, it had just hit the mechanics for PDI when I got the car. I test drove it after the PDI, then bought it right there. Working at a dealership, now that I look at it, it is possible that some stupid porter (and there are many) put 87 in the car. As an employee at an Infiniti dealership, we tell everyone that uses the pump up front to only use 91 on everything, but I imagine it could be the exact opposite for a Toyota/Scion dealership, especially if they don't have a Lexus dealership attached. Kinda annoys me in the end, because things like this can be prevented easily from the get go. I remember the sales lady assuring me that they would put in 91, but it's the porter that fills the car, not her :P

And you're definitely right, what matters is that the tuner was able to fix it and still gain some on top of that!
The porters at Toyota dealerships don't fill up cars meant for the lot or delivery after the PDI is done. Sales people do that. I used to work at a Toyota dealership as a porter
ragnarokfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #68
ragnarokfps

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Characteristics being sacrificed? None. The car is better all around. Aside from the obvious point of more power, the car actually runs much smoother. I was having the idle issue that many have before and he also managed to fix that with a couple tweaks. Steady idle now. MPG may have even slightly improved.

Keep in mind that it is NOT Toyota that tunes these cars from the factory, it is Subaru. All of our cars are made in Subaru's factory, Subaru does the factory tunes.
All the cars are manufactured at the Subi plant in Japan, but the 86 and the FRS are made to Toyota spec all over the car. I don't know for sure if the tune is Toyota spec, but it probably is
ragnarokfps is offline   Reply With Quote