follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #253
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
wait so the power on this unit is restricted by the intake which can't be larger without AC removal? Do you know what the limits are on the stock intake set up?
I wouldn't say that it is "restricted", more that the efficiency of the blower is heavily "affected" by the TB. Since it is a pull through setup (the blower has to pull air through the TB), a large amount of energy is spent by the blower drawing that air through the TB. A larger TB allows the blower to waste less energy drawing the air it desires, which increases efficiency, lowers heat, increases boost pressure and overall CFM of air at a given boost pressure.

By how much? We don't know. There aren't enough people modifying this setup yet to have that data. But it will definitely make a difference. I have extensive experience on Honda K20 motors with pull through blowers and have seen dramatic differences in power/efficiency on blowers when swapping to a large TB and intake.

Attention should also be paid to the flange area where the TB mounts, to make sure that the larger TB's inner diameter isn't wider than the inner diameter of the inlet flange. If it is, you'll need to bore it out. I'm pretty sure Harrop bored it out a bit already so a larger TB (within reason) will likely work without modification.

If I cared about making more power on this car, I would source a larger TB and have a custom 3.5" or 4" intake made for it. This would make the blower as efficient as possible. But, I don't find myself wanting for power at ~300bhp on this chassis, so I doubt I'll invest any more money in the setup. She's already too fast for the streets and is more than entertaining enough on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Well, even with stock TB you can get 380whp out of it. But if the 72mm throttle body does fit then that is supposedly 48% more airflow, so it doesn't have to much bigger than stock. I think that with a larger throttle body (not sure if AC was deleted or not) harrop got around 420 wheel.
This is with a 2.1L built motor, a custom intake, deleted AC, and a tiny pulley (65mm). So it's not just as simple as a bigger TB. But I assure you, the bigger TB is a very important part of the equation.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
CxG (06-21-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #254
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
I wouldn't say that it is "restricted", more that the efficiency of the blower is heavily "affected" by the TB. Since it is a pull through setup (the blower has to pull air through the TB), a large amount of energy is spent by the blower drawing that air through the TB. A larger TB allows the blower to waste less energy drawing the air it desires, which increases efficiency, lowers heat, increases boost pressure and overall CFM of air at a given boost pressure.

By how much? We don't know. There aren't enough people modifying this setup yet to have that data. But it will definitely make a difference. I have extensive experience on Honda K20 motors with pull through blowers and have seen dramatic differences in power/efficiency on blowers when swapping to a large TB and intake.

Attention should also be paid to the flange area where the TB mounts, to make sure that the larger TB's inner diameter isn't wider than the inner diameter of the inlet flange. If it is, you'll need to bore it out. I'm pretty sure Harrop bored it out a bit already so a larger TB (within reason) will likely work without modification.

If I cared about making more power on this car, I would source a larger TB and have a custom 3.5" or 4" intake made for it. This would make the blower as efficient as possible. But, I don't find myself wanting for power at ~300bhp on this chassis, so I doubt I'll invest any more money in the setup. She's already too fast for the streets and is more than entertaining enough on the track.

This is with a 2.1L built motor, a custom intake, deleted AC, and a tiny pulley (65mm). So it's not just as simple as a bigger TB. But I assure you, the bigger TB is a very important part of the equation.

On E85, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #255
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
On E85, right?

Yeh on e85. I don't know what this kit is capable of on 93, because (in my opinion) it would need slight drop in compression, then the throttle body work, and maybe WMI. I haven't heard of anyone doing that. With either this kit or the edelbrock.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bfranklyn86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #256
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
wait so the power on this unit is restricted by the intake which can't be larger without AC removal? Do you know what the limits are on the stock intake set up?
Yeah there is a reason the TRD one went with removing the AC and a larger snout and TB (apart from not caring about retaining the AC).
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #257
G-Unit86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Guys, could I just take a quick poll of what oil coolers people are running with this kit, and if there have been any particular good/bad experiences with them.

I need to get one sorted for my car and would need a thermostatically controlled set up. Currently tempted by the mishimoto one.
I have a modifiied Forester Oil cooler (Water-to-Oil) most efficient heat transfer and keeps coolant and oil temps roughly around the same temp
G-Unit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #258
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Unit86 View Post
I have a modifiied Forester Oil cooler (Water-to-Oil) most efficient heat transfer and keeps coolant and oil temps roughly around the same temp

How did you modify it?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 AM   #259
Bfranklyn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Unit86 View Post
Thanks for that. Any track use with it?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #260
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for that. Any track use with it?
It's unlikely to be sufficient. It just about copes with NA use.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #261
Bfranklyn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
It's unlikely to be sufficient. It just about copes with NA use.
Yeh I think you are right. I'd already started looking more at the standard oil-air type. It's just annoying because I only need 3-5 degrees of cooling (I just do short track sessions) and I like the idea of the oil warming up faster in the winter.

What do you run with your sprintex set up?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #262
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeh I think you are right. I'd already started looking more at the standard oil-air type. It's just annoying because I only need 3-5 degrees of cooling (I just do short track sessions) and I like the idea of the oil warming up faster in the winter.

What do you run with your sprintex set up?
Look at what Ade runs, similar in to the Forrester one but runs a Laminova core in line that's better at getting the heat out of the oil.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...-water-coolers

I don't run an oil cooler but will eventually custom make the same as Ade.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Bfranklyn86 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #263
Trefoil

Drives: GBS BRZ Harrop SC/PTuning Header
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Jackson racing dual radiator is petty spot on for cooking needs. I've been using it for a few months now without issue.
Trefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trefoil For This Useful Post:
CxG (07-06-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #264
Bfranklyn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefoil View Post
The Jackson racing dual radiator is petty spot on for cooking needs. I've been using it for a few months now without issue.
Thanks for that. I like the sound of the JR duel radiator but, reading through the thread, do you think it would be worth me ordering my own 'non-kink' lines?

Also, could you envisage any issues fitting it with a Harrop kit already installed?

The way things are going I'll be getting this fitted just in time for winter!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #265
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone weighed the components in the kit as well as the weight of the parts that it replaces like the stock intake pipe, engine cover plate, etc?

Interested to know how much weight the whole kit would add to the car.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #266
G-Unit86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
How did you modify it?

Works sell a forester Oil to water cooler kit that fits on 86 applications see link below:

http://store.worksmotorsports.com/WO..._p/139.211.htm

To comment on it not being enough, with a stock radiator I would agree as your cooling system will be taxed with the upgrade in power. However with an updated radiator and this cooler you should be good, even for track as long as you lower your oil change intervals.
G-Unit86 is offline   Reply With Quote