follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
fixed, just a silly thing I do
That's what some folks over on the Miata forum said ...... the rest of them were glad to get rid of me ...... especially admin ........

They didn't like my "girl pictures" ........ a picture like this would get you banned ......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ktulu7 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #16
stranger things
The Upside Down

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
First of all welcome and congrats on your frs! You've made right choice!.

If you want to do some mods, I suggest you do them soon because the car is chocked up a bit. I have an oft, ofh, injen intake (some say useless. If you don't want one, drop in filter does wonders) and an mxp exhaust (and a ton of other quality of life mods).

Last week I went To go test drive a stock frs from Toyota and my god what a difference. The stock felt so sloppy and slow while mine felt sharp.

I'm not saying you need to do those things, I'm saying, open your mind towards slowly modifying the car properly as it will seriously enhance your driving... and. Tires, tires, tires.

Ps. Another thing you should do is remove the clutch assist spring to make your clutch feel like one. (It's free, you just need a flathead screw driver and maybe pliers) It has changed my driving experience by a lot. I now know where the clutch grab point is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I was reading through the ECU and Engine Tuning Reference Guide sticky and the OpenFlash tablet piqued my interest. It does seem to be plug & play to install a stage 1 flash. The dyno results look good considering that the car can otherwise be left stock, but does stage 1 provide a noticeable difference you can feel (i.e. butt dyno)?
stranger things is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stranger things For This Useful Post:
allowe (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That's what some folks over on the Miata forum said ...... the rest of them were glad to get rid of me ...... especially admin ........

They didn't like my "girl pictures" ........ a picture like this would get you banned ......

humfrz
So I would last about 5 minutes?
Time to go join the Miata forum.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger things View Post
Thanks man. I was reading through the ECU and Engine Tuning Reference Guide sticky and the OpenFlash tablet piqued my interest. It does seem to be plug & play to install a stage 1 flash. The dyno results look good considering that the car can otherwise be left stock, but does stage 1 provide a noticeable difference you can feel (i.e. butt dyno)?
Stage 1 93 octane tune is definitely noticeable. Much better torque in the low end and midrange. But top end power feels about the same.

That said, I agree with allowe. I would upgrade the tires first, then flash the ECU.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
Oh wait! It was a Miata forum. Of course the girl picture would get you banned. You need to post pictures that apply to the Miata stereotype.
arrow34 (04-28-2017), Borrowed Time (04-28-2017), ktulu7 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I was running stage 1 91 octance for a month and a half but I wanted more with the header. I did notice a horsepower gain but the thing that made me love it was the smoothness and the elimination (not 100%but close) of the torque dip. Idle is a lot cleaner. I personally loved it!. It is a bit more torquey too which is what you want to gain as this car has no torque. I got stage 2 because I wanted the most I can get out of it.

allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
You wrote a very nice opening post on why you picked this car and this short into ownership you are looking to change it?
Not for one second saying a tune is not the way to go but don't let these guys sway you unless you decide after driving a while that you even want a one.
bkharmony (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
stranger things
The Upside Down

Drives: '13 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You wrote a very nice opening post on why you picked this car and this short into ownership you are looking to change it?
Not for one second saying a tune is not the way to go but don't let these guys sway you unless you decide after driving a while that you even want a one.
I know, you're right. I'm just getting excited the more I read this forum. Bad influence. I won't rush into anything. Gotta learn the car first.
stranger things is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stranger things For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
berkbrzfan

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I know, you're right. I'm just getting excited the more I read this forum. Bad influence. I won't rush into anything. Gotta learn the car first.
I have had my car for almost 3 years now and the only thing I have changed is the shift knob. Would I like to try the OFT some time? Of course I would. Is it needed to make me happier? Not necessarily, I am happy with it and I assume it is happy with me!
berkbrzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berkbrzfan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Why I chose the FR-S

Quote:

Haha, well said man! You don't have to mod it at all. Some of us like myself can't leave a car stock because we hate being like everyone else and having a modified car that can perform better than stock has a significant meaning to those who take that path. Do what you like with the frs and again, congrats on the ownership of one of the best cars ever made! There is a huge market for aftermarket parts for our car. But that doesn't mean you have to butcher it.

After all this is what my car looks like and there are tons of stuff I ordered for it that are still coming in.

Last edited by allowe; 04-27-2017 at 07:30 PM.
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #25
ktulu7

Drives: 2016 GMC Canyon
Quote:
Hi all,

I’m the proud new owner of a ’13 Argento FR-S. Just wanted to share why I chose this car. Will try to keep it short.

I wanted what you might call a “pure” sports car, something affordable, fun, and reliable. It had to be small, light, RWD, and manual transmission. It did not need to have a ton of power. I narrowed it down to the Miata, S2000, and FR-S/BRZ twins.

The S2000 is essentially reaching unicorn status, so I couldn’t find anything that had both a reasonable price and reasonable mileage. The Miata is a great choice because they’re a dime a dozen, so I test-drove one NB and two NCs. While fun cars, there were some issues like water damage and small holes in the top. This is obviously a risk/downside of convertibles.

As I continued searching, I came across an FR-S at a Toyota dealer. I test-drove it and liked how it felt more aggressive than the Miata, and no worries about leaks, rips, etc. The shifts were more crisp in the FR-S, and overall the car just felt more tight. It also includes a powertrain warranty. I came back w/ my wife and got her seal of approval, although she was leaning towards the Miata. And the rest is history.

Planning to keep it stock, except for possibly a K&N drop-in filter and eventually new tires to replace the Firestone FR740s the dealer threw on. The main “mod” is for me to become a better driver, as it’s been a couple years since I had a manual car. Looking forward to the journey.
ktulu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #26
humfrz

Quote:
Oh wait! It was a Miata forum. Of course the girl picture would get you banned. You need to post pictures that apply to the Miata stereotype.
As an ex Miata owner ......I say that guy is kinda cute ......

humfrz
bkharmony (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #27
humfrz

Quote:
So I would last about 5 minutes?
Time to go join the Miata forum.
Me advised they have a "point" system over there. 3 infractions (points) and you are perma banned. However, after 6 months, a point will drop off your record.

So, I usually had a running tally of 2 points ...... I was a bad boy ......

I used to have what I called "Google girls" that would help me solve pictures in a picture game. Over the years, each one of these pictures got me a negative point and a scolding.

So, I'm sure YOUR pictures would just spin their server into outer space .....

humfrz
Attached Images

ktulu7 (04-28-2017)