follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #85
ZeroFiveSix

Drives: FR-S iin Pearl White, stock-ish
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just me and my fiancée. He's like 6'5 or something so he has to fold up to get in but otherwise I have no problems. The back seats are basically cosmetic though. I don't know why they bothered to put them in. I like to sit up against the steering wheel and my front seat is literally touching the one behind it. They don't get used so it's cool. That being the case, the trunk space is plenty. Gym bag, rifles, gun bag and still more than 50% space left. I could see it being tight if you use your back seats, though.

Driving to work every day on 93 would be a bitch. I drive a company vehicle to work though, so no issues there either.

If you have a family it might not be so great, but then again that's true for most hobbies.
ZeroFiveSix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroFiveSix For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #86
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pics or BS!
Them in the mini? Or just chilling? I will follow through for my lads
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #87
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFiveSix View Post
Just me and my fiancée. He's like 6'5 or something so he has to fold up to get in but otherwise I have no problems. The back seats are basically cosmetic though. I don't know why they bothered to put them in. I like to sit up against the steering wheel and my front seat is literally touching the one behind it. They don't get used so it's cool. That being the case, the trunk space is plenty. Gym bag, rifles, gun bag and still more than 50% space left. I could see it being tight if you use your back seats, though.

Driving to work every day on 93 would be a bitch. I drive a company vehicle to work though, so no issues there either.

If you have a family it might not be so great, but then again that's true for most hobbies.
Yes, the 93 part is bad for commuting. I have it for my mini cooper s now. The storage space issue seems unanimously approved as useable and adequate. Thank you for answering
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #88
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I DD my FRS and have a wife and 2 year old son. We are expecting another baby in August. I don't see any reason to sell my car. It will work fine for occasionally driving with 2 kids. We also have a Sienna.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #89
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I DD my FRS and have a wife and 2 year old son. We are expecting another baby in August. I don't see any reason to sell my car. It will work fine for occasionally driving with 2 kids. We also have a Sienna.
Did you ever haul your baby boy around in a rear facing infant seat?

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #90
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
Did you ever haul your baby boy around in a rear facing infant seat?
Yep. It's cramped for the passenger, but it's not like I'm taking any road trips with the whole family.

That's what the minivan is for.

But I don't even have that option with a 370z, s2k, Cayman, corvette, Z4, Elise or Miata. All cars that I previously considered.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #91
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
Them in the mini? Or just chilling? I will follow through for my lads
Well I have seen Mini's and chilling pics could be good or bad so...

Before you were here we had a whole conversation in Random about Goth chicks and I sort of outed myself as a fan.
~el~jefe~ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #92
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well I have seen Mini's and chilling pics could be good or bad so...

Before you were here we had a whole conversation in Random about Goth chicks and I sort of outed myself as a fan.
Hahahha! You rock Tcoat
The Following User Says Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #93
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
But I don't even have that option with a 370z, s2k, Cayman, corvette, Z4, Elise or Miata. All cars that I previously considered.
I completely agree with this. Coming from an AP1, the 86 really was the next best thing for me.

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LOLS2K For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #94
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
DD my FR-S for almost 4 years now.

Back seat works in a pinch. 4 ppl in car (women in back) is no problem for quick drives (under 20 mins). In 95% of scenarios, folding down the back seat for cargo worked out. 4 wheels and tires plus jack, no problem. Once even transported a stack of 10" PVC pipes with them running through the trunk/back seat and sticking out the window a couple feet. Cake.

If you need more room than that Uber/Lyft can be freaking cheap (even if you need a truck or van pickup at home depot). For long trips with 4 ppl in comfort, rent a car for the day and split the cost. It's not that bad either.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (01-27-2017), strat61caster (02-27-2017), ~el~jefe~ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #95
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
DD my FR-S for almost 4 years now.

Back seat works in a pinch. 4 ppl in car (women in back) is no problem for quick drives (under 20 mins). In 95% of scenarios, folding down the back seat for cargo worked out. 4 wheels and tires plus jack, no problem. Once even transported a stack of 10" PVC pipes with them running through the trunk/back seat and sticking out the window a couple feet. Cake.

If you need more room than that Uber/Lyft can be freaking cheap (even if you need a truck or van pickup at home depot). For long trips with 4 ppl in comfort, rent a car for the day and split the cost. It's not that bad either.
very good ideas!
The Following User Says Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #96
Token11b

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
The FRS is my primary DD. I really only use it to drive to work and home or when me and the wife go out. She's got her own car and I have mine. Never had any issues with grocery shopping or transporting things.
Token11b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Token11b For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (01-29-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:28 AM   #97
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by febrz View Post
it depends on your lifestyle.
I've come across numerous occasions where the BRZ/FRS just won't cut it.
Also, once you drop your car, it's functionality is destroyed, but stock gap looks so bad especially with the gross stock wheels and rims. Thus you are forced to buy coils and new wheels. Then, the ride comfort decreases and you cannot get into any grocery parking lots or apartment complexes without rubbing because bumps are crazy now a days.

Next up, the noise. Crickets, chirps, rattles, outside noise, disgusting stock exhaust noise. But I mean of course, you can get 2015+ and minimize the crickets, chirps, and rattles, but even then it depends on your luck of the draw. Outside noise you can plug the sound tube and put soundproofing in the interior. Disgusting stock exhaust noise? you can upgrade to TRD exhaust which has drone, or upgrade to another catback, etc, which will still most likely have drone. Not to mention your never going to get the subie sound unless you get a UEL header, which will then force you to buy a tune.

Next up, comfortability. It's shit, no lower back support and suspension leads to your back dying on a long ride. I think if I got the base model, I would have died already. Luckily with the better models you get heated seats, etc which helps a bit with my perception of the car's comfortability. Another issue, side mirrors are not dimmed, so cars are literally blinding you from every angle, especially because you are lower than the average car, pretty much your window is right where people's headlights are. Also the interior of the car is just simply ugly af, but it will generally be if you buy any scion since scion is pretty much the crappiest car brand out there, and consequentially no longer existing.

Next up space... Although the rear seats drop down, if you get bags or if you get subs/amp, it will decrease the amount of space by ALOT, especially because you will be less prone to drop the rear seats with those in the trunk. Also, the back seats are literally non functional. Having someone in the back seat, they will have to lie down across the back seat, or either you or the passenger will have to sit awkwardly with their chair fully pushed in. The only advantage is I never have to drive people.

Good points: it was fun until I got stickier and wider tires because everyone said that was the number one performance and looks mod for this car and it just stopped sliding out all together and became boring and slower.
Everyone has a different view of what constitutes acceptable or great about a car. Thankfully there is enough after market support to help tweak and mod your ride to suit your needs.

I wasn't too thrilled with the stock audio so I tore it all out and replaced it with something much better. What little extra weight (around 10kg) was spread to help balance out weight distribution.

You mention the ride is rubbish. This has been improved in later years with the MY15's and once again with the MY17's with revised dampers. If you choose to go with more aggressive rubber and 18" wheels then god help you if you're expecting a smooth ride.

The ride is very important to me so I researched all the available options. The first mod that improved ride a little, while on stock rubber and wheels, was adding the STI strut brace. It settled the front down and smoothed out the ride a little. Something perhaps to do with that funky ball joint allowing flex in directions that help improve ride comfort while still bracing in the directions that need to be.

Next I researched after market suspension. There is some oddball notion that after market coils will destroy your ride. Perhaps people have bad first hand experience buying track focussed, stiff suspension and then dreading how that translated to every day crappy roads?

My answer to that was to go with Tein Flex-Z's. That said I read of people having mixed luck and needing to constantly adjust damping, but the problem with that is no two roads are the same. The best they could find was a compromise setting for damping force.

I went one step further and got the EDFC Active Pro with GPS from Tein that adds fully active damping and adjusts each corner independently. Pretty amazing system that took the already great handling provided by the Flex-Z's and added a lovely slab of improved ride.

Finally this past Sunday I added the STI V-Braces. Honestly I thought it was just going to be some engine bay bling, but the improvement in ride quality was shockingly noticeable.

Down the line I'm looking at some 17x7.5" forged wheels to reduce weight and I imagine the ride will improve further still.

Coming back to the OP's original question around whether a twin will cut it as an only car? I honestly think mine (for me) would. We do also have a Maxima in the family, but I have never needed to use it for anything other than when dropping my own car off for a service or putting mine in for any work at a performance shop, something I could of bothered a friend for or simply booked a taxi.

There is more than enough space in the car for shopping and I don't scrape on speed humps or drive way's because I only lowered the car 10 to 15mm. Going to a higher spec model with the auto climate control, keyless entry, heated seats etc.. just improves long term ownership and everyday liveability.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
86geek (04-19-2017), ~el~jefe~ (03-05-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #98
febrz

Drives: silver brz 2013 lmtd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Everyone has a different view of what constitutes acceptable or great about a car. Thankfully there is enough after market support to help tweak and mod your ride to suit your needs.

I wasn't too thrilled with the stock audio so I tore it all out and replaced it with something much better. What little extra weight (around 10kg) was spread to help balance out weight distribution.

You mention the ride is rubbish. This has been improved in later years with the MY15's and once again with the MY17's with revised dampers. If you choose to go with more aggressive rubber and 18" wheels then god help you if you're expecting a smooth ride.

The ride is very important to me so I researched all the available options. The first mod that improved ride a little, while on stock rubber and wheels, was adding the STI strut brace. It settled the front down and smoothed out the ride a little. Something perhaps to do with that funky ball joint allowing flex in directions that help improve ride comfort while still bracing in the directions that need to be.

Next I researched after market suspension. There is some oddball notion that after market coils will destroy your ride. Perhaps people have bad first hand experience buying track focussed, stiff suspension and then dreading how that translated to every day crappy roads?

My answer to that was to go with Tein Flex-Z's. That said I read of people having mixed luck and needing to constantly adjust damping, but the problem with that is no two roads are the same. The best they could find was a compromise setting for damping force.

I went one step further and got the EDFC Active Pro with GPS from Tein that adds fully active damping and adjusts each corner independently. Pretty amazing system that took the already great handling provided by the Flex-Z's and added a lovely slab of improved ride.

Finally this past Sunday I added the STI V-Braces. Honestly I thought it was just going to be some engine bay bling, but the improvement in ride quality was shockingly noticeable.

Down the line I'm looking at some 17x7.5" forged wheels to reduce weight and I imagine the ride will improve further still.

Coming back to the OP's original question around whether a twin will cut it as an only car? I honestly think mine (for me) would. We do also have a Maxima in the family, but I have never needed to use it for anything other than when dropping my own car off for a service or putting mine in for any work at a performance shop, something I could of bothered a friend for or simply booked a taxi.

There is more than enough space in the car for shopping and I don't scrape on speed humps or drive way's because I only lowered the car 10 to 15mm. Going to a higher spec model with the auto climate control, keyless entry, heated seats etc.. just improves long term ownership and everyday liveability.
That entire comment was meant to be satirical/ironic/troll....
febrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to febrz For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (03-01-2017)