follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #225
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
I gotta agree with @Scrappydoo. I know swaps aren't for people strapped on cash, but when the topic says "Budget 2JZ Swap", I expect something lower than 25k. Isn't 25k for just kit + labor kinda normal pricing...?
Well you're right... I think these guys used the term "budget build" too quickly not thinking about the fact that "budget" is a subjective word...and that some people have a much smaller "budget" or definition of "budget" than others...

Probably would have been more accurate to call this a "Low cost/High quality 2jz build"...then again someone else might cry saying that it isn't a low cost either...again subjective...really can't please everyone.

And as for the time it took...the people complaining about how long it took to complete this project within a manageable "budget" (which was probably dependent on the owner of the cars availability and wallet) really have no idea how much work is actually involved in pulling off a quality build such as this, all while running a business that probably does a bit more than 2jz swaps into FRS/BRZ's).

I think it's awesome that they have done this low cost swap and also documented the process so that we can see the amount of work that actually goes into a project like this....and the fact that they will have plug and play parts available for those of us that will actually attempt this with our own cars is even more awesome.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
Dpk3 (02-12-2017), Pure Automotive (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 AM   #226
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
except cruise control and emissions monitoring.
Colin, so I'm seeing that motec can't handle cruise control. Would a motec equipped car be able to utilize your product additionally for features such as cruise control, seat heaters, trunk pop, etc?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 AM   #227
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh it is definitely awesome. It isn't for me and my budget for more power, nor is it necessary for what I want, but this is a no brainer for anyone looking to do this swap.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #228
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
The 2jz can obviously handle tons of power. The r154 can hold over 500whp-700hp from what I read. Is the rear end a weak link at those power levels? How much more is the V160?

Just curious, is this a swap people do because they don't want an old Supra or can't find one or just really like the 86? Because this and a car is like $50k+. Seems like buying a Supra would be cheaper, or dropping a 2jz into something else would be cheaper. It is cool n all but just curious.
Some people just want something different, some people would rather build a car from the ground up and decide every part that goes into it rather than buying something that's already done. Also a 20 year old car is gonna have other issues you don't even think of...from the window regulators to the windshield wipers to the climate control, to the wheel bearings to etc, lot of parts ready to fail at 20+ years old. For me I'd rather take a relatively new car with modern technology and throw some big power at it and have some fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:51 AM   #229
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
Some people just want something different, some people would rather build a car from the ground up and decide every part that goes into it rather than buying something that's already done. Also a 20 year old car is gonna have other issues you don't even think of...from the window regulators to the windshield wipers to the climate control, to the wheel bearings to etc, lot of parts ready to fail at 20+ years old. For me I'd rather take a relatively new car with modern technology and throw some big power at it and have some fun.
Big power is what the overbuilt Supra (a GT car) can handle. The 86 will still need brakes, suspension upgrades, probably rear end, and maybe more I can't think of right now. The $160 window regulator might not be a huge cost when every cost in a build is totalled. I'm all for cool swaps. Just asking
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #230
Apex-Apex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The 2jz can obviously handle tons of power. The r154 can hold over 500whp-700hp from what I read. Is the rear end a weak link at those power levels? How much more is the V160?

Just curious, is this a swap people do because they don't want an old Supra or can't find one or just really like the 86? Because this and a car is like $50k+. Seems like buying a Supra would be cheaper, or dropping a 2jz into something else would be cheaper. It is cool n all but just curious.
I rather have a FRS as a base to start than a Supra tbh. V160 is around 4500-6000 for the transmission used since new is NLA. Rebuild parts are also NLA so if they break, you're out of luck until someone starts making parts for the rebuild.

Quote:
Colin, so I'm seeing that motec can't handle cruise control. Would a motec equipped car be able to utilize your product additionally for features such as cruise control, seat heaters, trunk pop, etc?
I'm not sure about seat heaters but cruise control and trunk pop works with Motec if you run drive by wire.

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
IG: @apexapexapex
Apex-Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex-Apex For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #231
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Big power is what the overbuilt Supra (a GT car) can handle. The 86 will still need brakes, suspension upgrades, probably rear end, and maybe more I can't think of right now. The $160 window regulator might not be a huge cost when every cost in a build is totalled. I'm all for cool swaps. Just asking
With a 20 year old Supra those same items will probably need attention or some would want to upgrade them anyway.

I bought the 86 because I wanted to do a swap in some kind of car and passed on the Supra, Rx7, 240 (all awesome cars) simply because I didn't want to deal with being nickled and dimed fixing things that fail with age. Also an 86 makes
for a cool sleeper...Lots of different reasons why someone would do a swap like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
Pure Automotive (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #232
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
I gotta agree with @Scrappydoo. I know swaps aren't for people strapped on cash, but when the topic says "Budget 2JZ Swap", I expect something lower than 25k. Isn't 25k for just kit + labor kinda normal pricing...?
Well in fairness, this started out more budget than it ended up. For those reading this that didn't know, this is 100% a customers car and the customer made most of the decisions and he controlled the pace of the build financially. He originally wanted stock twins, stock manifold, and low hp but when he realized what a huge waste of time it would be to put that in the car just to pay more to change it later, he made the decision to go deeper financially. At the end of the day, the swap is finished, the kit works, the customer is beyond happy and he's going to have the baddest street FRS around. That's all I really wanted out of the build. We knew going in that this type of build isn't for everyone. It's a lot a money, no doubt. But for the people who do like their car enough to spend real money on it, they now have a real option besides a $8000 engine build, $5000 Turbo kit, $7000 built trans, $2000 clutch. That's what you'd spend to have an FA20 build that makes 500-700hp and is officially maxed out. That's $23000, aka only a couple thousand away from a 2jz Swap that makes 500hp on stock everything and could be built up to make 1200 hp in the future.
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (02-13-2017), ILLSMOQ (02-12-2017), Kris86 (02-17-2017), Scrappydoo (02-12-2017), Spartarus (03-01-2017), Sportsguy83 (02-12-2017), turtlefeeder (07-25-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #233
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Quote:
Cruise control is enabled by functionality within the GM PCM. There would need to be code written into the Motec for it to operate the engine in a cruise control state.

So no.
ILLSMOQ (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #234
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Well you're right... I think these guys used the term "budget build" too quickly not thinking about the fact that "budget" is a subjective word...and that some people have a much smaller "budget" or definition of "budget" than others...

Probably would have been more accurate to call this a "Low cost/High quality 2jz build"...then again someone else might cry saying that it isn't a low cost either...again subjective...really can't please everyone.

And as for the time it took...the people complaining about how long it took to complete this project within a manageable "budget" (which was probably dependent on the owner of the cars availability and wallet) really have no idea how much work is actually involved in pulling off a quality build such as this, all while running a business that probably does a bit more than 2jz swaps into FRS/BRZ's).

I think it's awesome that they have done this low cost swap and also documented the process so that we can see the amount of work that actually goes into a project like this....and the fact that they will have plug and play parts available for those of us that will actually attempt this with our own cars is even more awesome.
I think most of us understand how much time and effort is required for a swap, which is why we were so interested in seeing something labeled as a "budget" swap. Not trying to insult the work done here. It does look good, just strayed from what the original topic suggested I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Automotive View Post
Well in fairness, this started out more budget than it ended up. For those reading this that didn't know, this is 100% a customers car and the customer made most of the decisions and he controlled the pace of the build financially. He originally wanted stock twins, stock manifold, and low hp but when he realized what a huge waste of time it would be to put that in the car just to pay more to change it later, he made the decision to go deeper financially. At the end of the day, the swap is finished, the kit works, the customer is beyond happy and he's going to have the baddest street FRS around. That's all I really wanted out of the build. We knew going in that this type of build isn't for everyone. It's a lot a money, no doubt. But for the people who do like their car enough to spend real money on it, they now have a real option besides a $8000 engine build, $5000 Turbo kit, $7000 built trans, $2000 clutch. That's what you'd spend to have an FA20 build that makes 500-700hp and is officially maxed out. That's $23000, aka only a couple thousand away from a 2jz Swap that makes 500hp on stock everything and could be built up to make 1200 hp in the future.
Thats understandable. Cant blame the guy, I'd probably end up deciding on the same thing.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (02-12-2017), Pure Automotive (02-12-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 AM   #235
Apex-Apex

Quote:
Cruise control is enabled by functionality within the GM PCM. There would need to be code written into the Motec for it to operate the engine in a cruise control state.

So no.
Depending on who makes the program, cruise control will work. The 2JZ 86 Firmware license does support cruise control using the GM TB.

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #236
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Apex View Post
Depending on who makes the program, cruise control will work. The 2JZ 86 Firmware license does support cruise control using the GM TB.
That's good news for everyone going the Motec route!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #237
Apex-Apex

Quote:
That's good news for everyone going the Motec route!
Hahah agreed but I'm not sure if cruise control was a deal breaker!

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
Old 02-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #238
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'd say cruise control and abs/traction is a big deal. Glad you guys got it working. Now it's time for the LS swap kits to include that.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to all4spl For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (02-13-2017)