follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lol...hmm...ill stay semi quiet... Lets not forgot all the trial and error threads on here that are wayyyy more dangerous than me correcting someone's MAF (: I dont tell people to keep there LTFT at -14 (:

An ecutek master tuner told me a MAF curve should not be perfectly smooth because when a MAF curve is CORRECT it's not going to be a perfect curve.

If anyone wants their MAF curve correct, PM me.

Good Day
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #16
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone had an OFT custom E-tune? Chime in

I've had an e-tune with oft. Don't have any experience with ecutek but my experience with shiv/oft was great.

Prior to getting the tune I dabbled with maf scaling but I've had some bad experiences with tuning myself so I opted to go for the etune. Can't say I noticed a huge improvement after but I didn't notice a bit more "umpf". In hindsight I probably would've just modified the tune myself or left it alone. There is loads of information on here and i believe there is a thread about optimizing the oft tune. But again done expect crazy results. I think the can tunes already are pretty good, I made decent power before the custom tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruRace For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #17
pancake

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited MT
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRace View Post
I've had an e-tune with oft. Don't have any experience with ecutek but my experience with shiv/oft was great.

Prior to getting the tune I dabbled with maf scaling but I've had some bad experiences with tuning myself so I opted to go for the etune. Can't say I noticed a huge improvement after but I didn't notice a bit more "umpf". In hindsight I probably would've just modified the tune myself or left it alone. There is loads of information on here and i believe there is a thread about optimizing the oft tune. But again done expect crazy results. I think the can tunes already are pretty good, I made decent power before the custom tune.

When you did the e-tune, did you have UEL Header (stage 2)
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #18
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
When you did the e-tune, did you have UEL Header (stage 2)

I have a tomei uel

TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:56 AM   #19
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
An ecutek master tuner told me a MAF curve should not be perfectly smooth because when a MAF curve is CORRECT it's not going to be a perfect curve.
A MAF curve can't perfectly smooth by definition as it's made up of straight lines However I'm not sure that having a not smooth curve is ideal, there are compensations to deal with the issues that cause "errors". There are many people who have "smooth" MAF curves that work fine, and don't forget that the MAF isn't just for fueling targets, it's used for most of the calculations in the ECU. I would suggest that this is where it being a nicer curve is beneficial. I'm sure (read know) you can hack a MAF scale up to get it to fuel right, but is this correct, or just quicker? I'd assume there's a reason the OE calibration is as it is.

Don't take what @phrosty said personally as it's a valid point. Trusting your engine to a complete randomer on a forum is generally a bad idea.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Nah (01-04-2017), Teseo (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
Nah

If you didn't feel a dramatic change while daily driving it's becuase of his cam timing in that area. If you don't feel a nice little bite at the end this is also a lack of vvt timing. With a disregard to other factors like leaks and what not.

While messing with these cars I've found when vvt and MAF curve are correct at wot you're going to feel a nice little extra pull right as you come up to redline.

Maybe I'll post some virtual dyno logs comparing 2 maps... one with vvt and MAF correct and the other will be the OTS tune.

Yes you definitely don't want a lumpy MAF curve it's all changed in patterns.

I suggest anyone new to look at a stock map and compare it to shivs you'll be able to see what to change. And if you're brave enough maybe even begin to create your own map...

I think wayno has some hacked definitions you can use... Steve99 has a great write up in getting you started and educating everyone on what to log and how to perceive it. As well as wayno. KN47 also has some more advanced threads that will help. Maybe even donate if your in the spirit.

Just whatever you do don't play with injection ratios or anything that says don't touch in the description.

I believe, correcting your MAF should be ground 0 for new tuners oh and also being able to understand fuel trims.

It'll take 3-4 flashes to get this down right.

1) closed loop scaling
2) open loop scaling
3) wot vvt best VE
4) scale again if needed

Everything else the tuner adds will depend on his/her skill level. But most tuners lock their tunes so it's up to the individual to find the little custom tweaks that makes this car even more enjoyable. And trust me they're there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nah For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #21
Nah

And say at .7.8 load your commanded is 14.0 b/w 3-4k rpms where most of us drive in traffic. AFR is reading 12.5 there is some type of MAF/load calculation that's wrong. Which I've seen on every 86 I've tuned who's had an OFT. You think that richness in fuel is affecting power there? Once I corrected that load calculation and added just a touch of timing my 3-4K range was a perfect transition from CL-OL and DDing felt so easy.

So a correct curve will not be perfectly smooth but rather a curve that accomdates to your modifications and engine
Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #22
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
And say at .7.8 load your commanded is 13.8 but AFR is reading 12.5 there is some type of MAF/load calculation that's wrong. Which I've seen in every 86 I've tuned who's had an OFT.

So a correct curve will not be perfectly smooth but rather a curve that accomdates to your modifications and engine
Fixing the load limits usualy sorts that out as that'll likely be RPM dependent You don't need always need AFRs to hit targets, that's really only the case in closed loop. You can use the open loop fuel map to target what you want rather than massaging the MAF to do the same thing.

I use VGIs tool but run my own MAF scaling tool in the log stats screen. What works in open loop and closed loop are often quite different but overlap. The separate screens that most people use you only get to see WOT or CL, I view the entire scale in both with even partial throttle OL and compare weighings.

Over time I've moved away from MAF scaling as it has a much wider impact on the whole map. I get it tight at closed loop, use engine load comp to get it even better and vaguely accurate at open loop.... but still a curve. The rest can then be adjusted using other maps.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #23
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I use VGIs tool but run my own MAF scaling tool in the log stats screen. What works in open loop and closed loop are often quite different but overlap. The separate screens that most people use you only get to see WOT or CL, I view the entire scale in both with even partial throttle OL and compare weighings.
We should compare tools! I've built my own as well that gives much better results than VGI's.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
We should compare tools! I've built my own as well that gives much better results than VGI's.
I add Fueling Error and dv/dt to my logs. Then on the log stats screen set Axes as MAFv and Fuel System Status (CL/OL). You can reduce the distance % to specify data nearer to the specific MAFv points.

Filters are dv/dt, coolant temp and AFR. These ensure that the car is up to temp, low throttle changes and no off throttle. You can use Error in place of AFR if you know where to set it and if calculated in a set way.

I copy the mean and count outputs into a spreadsheet and manually have a look at the output. This can then be multiplied directly to the original MAF scale.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 AM   #25
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
I'm surprised e-tuning has not taken off in this platform. Back when I had my Speed3, Cobb Accessports and e-tuning were the norm. No need for spending money on dyno pulls. I had great results only after 4 tune revisions.
It sort of has, Delicious tuning as well as moto-east have that market cornered pretty well. It's just not much to be gained unless you have an out of the norm NA setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
Not commenting on @Nah's skillset here at all. Just as a general rule... please don't trust random forum people with your ECU!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post

Don't take what @phrosty said personally as it's a valid point. Trusting your engine to a complete randomer on a forum is generally a bad idea.
This. Editing a tune with a few tables in romraider for someone is one thing when you know the person knows what you're editing. But when the person in question hasn't even dabbled in romraider to know whats been changed or how it's changed that's asking for some trouble.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote