follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #1
Moooiiissst
The moisture is real

Drives: '15 WR Blue BRZ Limited 6spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
World Rally Blue Paintshops in SoCal?

Hey guys,

Has anyone in SoCal had any experience with getting World Rally Blue (2015 version) paint touched up/blended? If so, which shop is recommended?

I recently was installing coilovers and the car was on jack stands and I accidentally jacked the car up too high from the front and the rear jack stands tipped and the car fell on the jack stands Luckily the wheels were still on the car so it just bounced, but the jack stands got caught under the car. The driver side is surprisingly fine (the jack stand got smashed, though), but the driver side buckled in under the door sill area. I have attached pictures for reference. I also attached a picture of the driver side as to compare the damage from the passenger side to the driver side. I had some paint flake off on one of the creases, but I had some leftover touch up WRB paint that I just dabbed on since it was exposed primer. It's not perfect, but better than before and enough to hold me off until the repair gets done.

Anywho, I'm looking to get it repaired. I don't know if this dent can be pulled out by means of paintless dent removal, but I have already talked to a few shops and they said it most likely cannot be a paintless dent removal since the metal there is thicker than other panels. I don't mind the very bottom under the car looking like crap as it is not super visible, so if it makes it easier to do paintless dent removal by drilling holes under the car, I'm ok with that as that is easier to cover up.

This dent has been bothering me since it happened about a month ago and it's getting to the point where I don't want to wash my car anymore just so the dirt hides the messed up reflections :/ I'm pretty anal about my paint and have major OCD, so I am looking for the best paint shop in SoCal that can touch up that area as best as possible and make it as if nothing ever happened.

I have looked at a few threads where people have had bad experiences with touching up WRB paint and painters not getting it right. I understand it will never be 100% spot on and that goes for any touch up job, but if I can make the best of a bad situation, I will, even if it costs a little more. I want good quality.

So any recommended shops? I live in Temecula, but I can go anywhere from San Diego to LA and further if needed be as long as it's worth it.

If any of you have pictures of your WRB paint work done in comparison to the OEM paint, that would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Moooiiissst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
oemaudioplus

Drives: http://bit.ly/Vantage86
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Doug Starbuck of Star Side Design.

Doug does all of our color-match enclosures for our sound solution (for Subaru, Toyota and Scion). He is crazy busy at the moment, but is one of the best and his match is exact. Based in Riverside California.

Last edited by oemaudioplus; 12-09-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: formatting
oemaudioplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
calic

Drives: Subaru Brz
I used Don's auto body in Montebello (323) 721-2140 they matched my 15 wrb on my door.

Instagram: limitedbreeze
calic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calic For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (12-11-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
nickzue

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Just please god, not MAACO! I just got my front bumper done in Glendale and a 12 year old could have done a better job taping it off. Ridiculous overspray on the headlights/grill, too many minor imperfections to count, and even though they replaced the bumper they mounted the grill inserts and drls before painting. Looks like a kid got ahold of a WRB crayon and couldn't stay in the lines. lol I really couldn't believe they let it roll out like that. Taking it back in next Wednesday to get it redone for free, I guess that's all you can ask for.
nickzue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickzue View Post
Just please god, not MAACO! I just got my front bumper done in Glendale and a 12 year old could have done a better job taping it off. Ridiculous overspray on the headlights/grill, too many minor imperfections to count, and even though they replaced the bumper they mounted the grill inserts and drls before painting. Looks like a kid got ahold of a WRB crayon and couldn't stay in the lines. lol I really couldn't believe they let it roll out like that. Taking it back in next Wednesday to get it redone for free, I guess that's all you can ask for.
what made you go there in the first place? maaco and most other "1 day paint" shops are all joke and mainly for people who dont give a shit about their car and/or cant afford to do a proper repaint.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
nickzue

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
what made you go there in the first place? maaco and most other "1 day paint" shops are all joke and mainly for people who dont give a shit about their car and/or cant afford to do a proper repaint.
Long story short, a coworker of mine backed into me and wanted to pay credit for the job and avoid insurance. I figured if it was just a bumper repaint that I didn't have much to worry about since they use factory paint. It was $812 bucks though which is actually more than other estimates I got... Lesson learned.
nickzue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickzue For This Useful Post:
8R6 (12-16-2016)