follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #1
Riley26

Drives: Holden ute
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help with Catback and UEL header options?

Hey, Recently I've put down a deposit for the 2017 BRZ and I'm already looking to put an exhaust on it. Now i know there is lots of other post about what types of exhaust you can get but i already have a few in mind that i would like so i was just gonna try and get your guys thoughts on them. I'm looking for something that doesn't sound to raspy i was hoping for more of a deep sound but it cant be to loud as well. i know i'm fussy aha

The first exhaust setup i was going to go for was the 2.5" Perrin Exhaust SS Resonated with the JDL UEL Headers. I've heard a couple of sound clips on YouTube of this same exhaust and it seems to be exactly what i want not to loud but still has a nice deep sound to it but then again does this setup drone at all??

The second exhaust i was going to go for was again 2.5" Perrin Exhaust SS Resonated but with tomei UEL headers.

The Third one was the Invidia Q300 exhaust with TI tips with either the JDL UEL headers or the Tomei UEL headers.

Also does anyone know if you can get the Titanium tips for the Perrin Exhaust?.

Cheers in advance ..
Riley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #2
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Make friends near by that own a GT86. And listen to what they have. Or do a search and listen to youtube videos.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Riley26

Drives: Holden ute
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
Make friends near by that own a GT86. And listen to what they have. Or do a search and listen to youtube videos.
The hard thing is where i live there is hardly any Brz/gt86 with exhausts on them i've probably heard one with an exhaust on it and it sounded like crap. I have watched a few videos and thats whats got me wondering the Q300 with the JDL UEL header sounds perfect but then again so does the Perrin. im just not sure on how much the perrin drones if it drones at all because i know the Q300 is meant to be pretty good on having no drone. i just dont want to spend the money and end up with an exhaust that i dont like, I'm pretty well set on the JDL headers now though just gotta make up my mind with the Catback.
Riley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
fr-s6MT

Drives: White Scion FR-S
JDL catted header with a works muffler delete sounds incredible. It's what I run and absoluty no drone and not too loud. I've heard cat backs in the area louder than my car. Works also has a muffled version of their exhaust. A video or sound clip does no justice. I just jumped in, if you go catless a muffled works axleback would be money. Anyway enjoy and I don't think you need to spend money on a full exhaust unless you just really want to.
fr-s6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley26 View Post
The first exhaust setup i was going to go for was the 2.5" Perrin Exhaust SS Resonated with the JDL UEL Headers. I've heard a couple of sound clips on YouTube of this same exhaust and it seems to be exactly what i want not to loud but still has a nice deep sound to it but then again does this setup drone at all??
That's my setup, and I bet you've seen my videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1kyhCzlx-o"]BRZ w/ JDL UEL & Perrin resonated 2.5" revving - YouTube[/ame]

There is a little bit of drone at highway speeds, but it's not bad at all. I plan to add a layer of MLV and CCF on my trunk floor to make it even quieter.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
randomthoughts

Drives: 2014 White BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have Revworks UEL heeder and Borla S-Type catback and it is music to my ears. It has zero rasp with a lower tone. There is no drone at cursing speeds. Cold start is a bit loud (not overly) but warm idle is very quite as well as cruising.. WOT really opens up and I love the sound. I get lots of compliments. The S-Type quality is good unlike the header which some had issues with the first releases.
randomthoughts is offline   Reply With Quote