follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #1
jay92

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Differential drain plug thread pitch

My differential drain plug came loose from scraping and fell off on the freeway. Does anyone know the thread pitch of the drain plug or the part number? I can't find it on the diagram. Thanks

Last edited by jay92; 09-25-2016 at 04:03 AM.
jay92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay92 View Post
My differential drain plug came loose from scraping and fell off on the freeway. Does anyone know the thread pitch of the drain plug or the part number? I can't find it on the diagram. Thanks
......... that's for off roading your FR-S.

Seriously, how in the heck did you do that ..... ??

I'd suggest you just go to a dealer and get a new drain plug ....... I wouldn't just pick up any old bolt from a hardware store.

Then, after you secure a new plug, if it will screw into the differential without leaking, I suggest you build a skid plate for the differential or, better yet ..... STOP OFF ROADING!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
jay92 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
jay92

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
......... that's for off roading your FR-S.

Seriously, how in the heck did you do that ..... ??

I'd suggest you just go to a dealer and get a new drain plug ....... I wouldn't just pick up any old bolt from a hardware store.

Then, after you secure a new plug, if it will screw into the differential without leaking, I suggest you build a skid plate for the differential or, better yet ..... STOP OFF ROADING!

humfrz
Lol this is actually the second time it came off I found it last time.
I wish it was from off-roading that would be fun. My car was really low and the diff was 1/2 an inch from the ground so after continuous scraping it came loose.
The dealership wanted $15 bucks for an Oem bolt and washer.
I picked up a drain bolt and gasket from car quest for $4, no leaks so far after a 1 hour drive.

For future reference the drain bolt size is m18x1.5x12.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
Lol this is actually the second time it came off I found it last time.
I wish it was from off-roading that would be fun. My car was really low and the diff was 1/2 an inch from the ground so after continuous scraping it came loose.
The dealership wanted $15 bucks for an Oem bolt and washer.
I picked up a drain bolt and gasket from car quest for $4, no leaks so far after a 1 hour drive.

For future reference the drain bolt size is m18x1.5x12.
Well, in that case, forget the skid plate ....... you would just high center on a drunk bump .....

Bubba suggests you weld one of these on the bottom of your differential.....

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
jay92

Quote:
Well, in that case, forget the skid plate ....... you would just high center on a drunk bump .....

Bubba suggests you weld one of these on the bottom of your differential.....

humfrz
Would be nice if a company made a skid plate for the diff. I raised the car 1.5 inches so no worries the bolt is 2 inches from the ground should be fine.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
Would be nice if a company made a skid plate for the diff. I raised the car 1.5 inches so no worries the bolt is 2 inches from the ground should be fine.
Well, now, 2" is much better. Assuming you gave up off roading, the only thing you have to watch out for is the raised gas tank fill covers at some service stations ......

Yep, hit one of those and make some sparks ...... and KABOOOM ...... your car's new ride height is about 6 feet off the ground, upside down.

I hit one of those in an in-lowered miata, up in Canada, put a big gouge in my under panel. Another Canadian station that I stopped at on that trip, the click off on the filler nozzle didn't click off as I was inside the station taking a leak.

There was about a 40 liter gas puddle surrounding my car. The dude tried to charge me for 80 liters ........ I paid him for 35 liters and pushed my car out of the puddle and drive off.

Lesson learned: Don't leave your car when you are refueling ........

@Cole @Tcoat ........ is that a Canadian trick to sell more gas ...... ??

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
jay92

Quote:
Well, now, 2" is much better. Assuming you gave up off roading, the only thing you have to watch out for is the raised gas tank fill covers at some service stations ......

Yep, hit one of those and make some sparks ...... and KABOOOM ...... your car's new ride height is about 6 feet off the ground, upside down.

I hit one of those in an in-lowered miata, up in Canada, put a big gouge in my under panel. Another Canadian station that I stopped at on that trip, the click off on the filler nozzle didn't click off as I was inside the station taking a leak.

There was about a 40 liter gas puddle surrounding my car. The dude tried to charge me for 80 liters ........ I paid him for 35 liters and pushed my car out of the puddle and drive off.

Lesson learned: Don't leave your car when you are refueling ........

@Cole @Tcoat ........ is that a Canadian trick to sell more gas ...... ??

humfrz
lol that's quite some story.
Actually the ride height is perfect just gotta angle.
lol I've never thought twice about leaving my car when pumping gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to jay92 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-26-2016)