follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,494 Times in 5,007 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaRS1.0 View Post
wouldnt stiffer sway bars help prevent the torsen diff becoming "open"? by preventing body roll, you would keep the weight more evenly distributed between the tires and help prevent one from lifting, no?
To a point, then when your suspension becomes too stiff you are more likely to lift a wheel as posted above, kind of like lifting the corner of a sheet of paper vs. lifting the corner of a sheet of cardboard.

Think of it as an inverse, when you lift a corner of a sheet of paper it's like pushing down on the suspension, paper soft, the other 3 wheels stay where they should, cardboard stiff, the other wheels begin to 'lift' as well, in reality the corner you lifted is being super compressed the car is hunching down on that corner and the opposite corner (still on the table) is actually 'lifting' up in the air. In autoX the outside front tire takes a ton of load as you hunker down on it to turn, the inside rear wheel lifts.

But you have available to you what you have available to you, I say try going back to OE front bar, they're not that difficult to swap. iirc most are running stiffer rear bar in CS w/ OE front.

FWD cars usually end up running soft fronts and stiff rears, this is the result:

AND as another example, in oval racing the cars get setup the opposite way with relatively soft rears the car hunkers down on the right rear and the left front lifts. You can also see it in certain road course series too.

Last edited by strat61caster; 08-09-2016 at 08:37 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (08-16-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #16
Cueman

Drives: In Perfect Control At All Times
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
iirc most are running stiffer rear bar in CS w/ OE front.
What? Who is?

I'm bigger in the front, with a Hotchkis bar and TRD in the back, and love it. The OP should check out the CS thread if he hasn't already. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35855

With a similar background in cars, my initial impression of the FRS was that it was friendly and maybe even dull. I never spent a moment on the stock tires though...
Cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cueman For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-10-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #17
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I was experiencing this 'shudder' at canadian nats (and not the only one) I've never experienced it elsewhere. I attribute it to the surface and my overdriving the car. I had the whiteline front bar on full stiff which certainly didn't help (rest is stock in CS).
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #18
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Do you have any video of this happening where we can also see your steering inputs?

I just did my first autocross with the FRS prepped for CS and found that my first guess at sways and alignment produced considerably more understeer than stock. I was able to play on a traction circle and drive another twin for comparison and the car itself (my car) understeers.

That being said, I did not experience any shudder, so I'm wondering about your steering angle when this is happening to you. I suspect wrenching on the wheel while the car is understeering (as apposed to just lifting to tighten your line) might cause hop, but I'm unsure.

BTW, for any setup gurus, this understeers now:

TRD springs and sways

Koni shocks

Front:-1.3, 1/16" toe out

Rear: -1.8, 1/16" toe in

I am considering either going back to stock bars front and rear, or maybe even just back to stock bar front. (leave TRD sway in the back)

All the CS guys I know have close to -2F/R and the same toe and are legal. They also have koni shocks with the insert, as well as the TRD springs and sways. that setup on re71r's is very good.

as for your alignment. the rear will have more grip in the corners. so when the front grip runs out, rear grip is still there= understeer. I play in SM with mine.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #19
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EN2_Squirrel View Post
All the CS guys I know have close to -2F/R and the same toe and are legal. They also have koni shocks with the insert, as well as the TRD springs and sways. that setup on re71r's is very good.

as for your alignment. the rear will have more grip in the corners. so when the front grip runs out, rear grip is still there= understeer. I play in SM with mine.
I would like to know how people are getting -2 degrees front camber in CS. I know there is a little variance from car to car, but that's a big gap.

My best guess at the TRD sways is that the front is ~70% stiffer than stock where the rear is only ~40% stiffer than stock. (Understeer)

I installed an ST front bar this week and used the softer setting (~40%) I'm hoping that the sway bar balance is stock-ish now. (-Feels better on the street, but I won't know if it's enough until I run it at 10/10 on the track)
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #20
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I would like to know how people are getting -2 degrees front camber in CS. I know there is a little variance from car to car, but that's a big gap.

My best guess at the TRD sways is that the front is ~70% stiffer than stock where the rear is only ~40% stiffer than stock. (Understeer)

I installed an ST front bar this week and used the softer setting (~40%) I'm hoping that the sway bar balance is stock-ish now. (-Feels better on the street, but I won't know if it's enough until I run it at 10/10 on the track)

Contact Infinite Motion in San Marcos CA. GAVIN does all the alignments. He must have figured something out.