follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #141
Phijkchu

Drives: Feet
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How about the Synergy V8. It supposedly preserves the cars handling (how would I know) and weighs less than the 4U-GSE/FA20 while maintaining the rest of the drivetrain.
Phijkchu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phijkchu For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #142
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Comparing an 86 to a new gen Pony Car is like comparing apples to kumquats! Yes, the old gens were wallowing boats but neither the new Camaros nor Mustangs are anymore. They are starting to actually become the "sports cars" that they have so often been called.

I know that many feel this is a track based forum but I still chuckle as soon as the whole "but on the track..." thing starts. I have no idea what the percentage of time on a track (these cars that actually see one ever) but bet there are so many zeros between the decimal point and the number it is silly. On the street all the HP and goodies of the SS or GT are wasted most of the time no matter how good the driver is. The 86 has the advantage of it can actually use 80% of it's abilities instead of about 15% (there is a valid reason for all the Mustang crashing memes). The bloody thing was built to entertain and engage the driver in a different way than the Pony Cars and it does that very well. People that want Pony Car performance and style of driving should have bought one.

Now as far as the whole "put this that or the other engine in it" thing goes that is a whole different story. Those engine swapped, reinforced, huge wheeled, heavily modified Frankenstein's that are getting Pony Car drag times are NOT fucking FRSs or BRZs! They are basic components of them yes but they no longer should be called the name. The minute that engine comes out and everything is swapped to support the "upgrade" it is now just a Twin shell on a whole new platform.

I love my car but am under no illusions that it will ever EVER compete with the likes of top trim Camaros and Mustangs driven by another driver with the same level of skill that I have. It wasn't meant to compete with them from the start and anybody that thinks it was needs to wake up.
Quote:
I am not saying don't do that if that is what you are after simply that it is no longer an 86 and there is no way it can be. You still running all stock parts other than the driveshaft? I doubt it.
Not a Model T

Not a Pinto

Not a school bus

Not a FRS

All very cool in their own right but most certainly no longer what they started as.

And sure everybody that pulls up beside you knows what an LS1 sounds like and are scared to death.
Quote:
LOL it would have been a good one although I do not feel my examples are that extreme. They are all cars that no longer have the engine or power train they came with.
I think you may be misunderstanding what I was trying to say (my fault if it wasn't clear) in the context of topic of this thread. I am not a purist nor a "keep the car as built because it is the bestest thing in the world 'cuz of the feels" fanboi. In fact my point in relation to this topic was the opposite really.

I was saying that there are many things the car does well but power and speed are not part of the equation so to compare them to a Camaro SS was not reasonable. They are two different vehicles built for two different reasons. What I was trying to get across was that in order to compete with the Pony Cars the Twins need to be made BETTER than they are stock in the power and speed categories. I was not stating nor intentionally implying that the changes you or others have made are destroying the car in any way shape or form. You are just making them different.

Many years ago I had a 64 Econoline shortbox van with a fully built 351 that pulled low 11s on the strip on a regular basis. Would it be a fair statement for me to claim that 1964 Econoline vans are faster than most sports cars? No, that would be a totally ludicrous statement.

My message was that an engine swapped, brake and suspension upgraded, big tired Twin can not be held up as evidence that our cars can complete with the likes of top level Camaros and Mustangs. Without major IMPROVEMENTS they can not even touch them.

Hope this makes my statements make more sense.
Quote:
Removing the stock engine and installing a V8 IS a radical change in the car even if you kept the body stock. Maybe you don't see it as one and most certainly you can maintain the original feel of the car but it is not exactly still an FRS. You still seem to feel that I have insulted you some how and even with my explanation misunderstand (or just don't want to hear) what I am saying. I at least am not getting "riled" about your build and in fact totally support such things. All I am saying is that an FRS with a V8 in it is not representative of FRS performance and therefore is something different again. It is not a purist don't change anything statement, I don't think it is a hard concept to grasp and not sure why you continue to maintain your car is 100% FRS.
Quote:
I fully understand your point since it is the exact same as what I was making. The "Frankenstein" was not meant to be derogative but descriptive. The creature was a bunch of parts taken and put together to make a new whole (which incidentally was BETTER than human if you read the book and not just watch the movies) and is that not the same as an engine/transmission/supporting mods swap is doing?
At no point in my other post did I say that was bad. I repeat that I was making a comparison in reference to creating a car that can beat a Camaro and that is exactly what you have done. I was in no way putting down swaps nor implying that engine swapped cars were inferior just that they are a whole different beast than stock. Please do not read everything as written in anger or contempt.
Quote:
What are you debating with me on?
Strat - "car gains 100-250 pounds"
Me - "Yep"
You - "my car gained 100 pounds"

Once again I said nothing about it impacting handling or any other such thing that could be construed as negative.

You then go on to say "trade off of 372whp and 465ftlbs of torque on pump gas NA" which supports my original statement that your car is no longer a "FRS" when competing against a Camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
To be honest I am a purist too. TBH I would prefer a toyota engine in this thing. But if someone decides to use an american v8, I won't bash, it isnt my style but i respect it
Please go and read and point out where I "bashed" his build. I have zero issues with his build. I like the idea. I think it is great. I have said that over and over. All I maintain is that it is no longer an FRS. I am not a purist and have no dedication to Toyota nor Subaru but when you start swapping drive trains the car can no longer be called what it started.

My first post that riled him up so bad was to differentiate between an FRS and a car altered enough to compete with Pony cars I don't even say it is a bad idea just simply that they are not the same thing.
End of story.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #143
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Arriving fashionably late to the party.

The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #144
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,955 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A survey.

Back in the day, what do you think we called this ... ??

A "barracuda" ..... ??

A "funny car" .... ??

other .. ??

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #145
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,955 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Arriving fashionably late to the party.

Welcome to the party ...........

So, what do you call an FR-S with a Chevrolet V-8 ....... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #146
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
I call it Uber, and I call it to take me everywhere.
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that_one_guy For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (07-30-2016), Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 03:09 AM   #147
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Good healthy debate.....no i wasnt butt hurt...and no i didnt call you out.....debate is healthy......exuberance on topic is good......just disagree on some finer points.....we share the same age btw.....and I see the same wisdom to not let things get out of control......I applaud you on that.....hopefully we can do this again on other topics.......I would ask you who you are going to vote for president but I see your a Canuck......how do you feel about gun control?......only kidding...
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Braces (07-31-2016), humfrz (07-30-2016), Summerwolf (08-01-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #148
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

humfrz
A fast FRS :o
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #149
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORGANIZED-CHAOS View Post
WOW, let the roasting begin, lol. I had a good laugh with majority of your responses. I should have seen that coming.

SO WHY THE 2017 CAMARO SS???

The Camaro SS or Mustang GT, either would make a feasible goal. But I'm not going to open that can of worms of which is better than the other. So the only reason I want to stay competitive with these cars is because I'm tired of seeing these cars pull or drive next to me reving their engines and accelerating and decelerating. Crap, the other day I even had a Sonata turbo rev his engine at me at a red light. I just want enough power to get the respect of these vehicles who seem to bully my car on the road.

But I'm not drag racing these cars. I'm not flying through a track. I just want to pull before them on a rolling start and get them frustrated for how difficult it is to catch up to me. I know it may sound silly but it's just difficult to put in words what I want to achieve.
First of all, you are on the wrong part of the forum for asking this question. Most people in the general section don't care about modding their car beyond wheels, tires, and lowering springs.

I'd say don't listen to anyone here and do what you want. Believe me, it will be a rewarding experience. You will learn a lot just by trying to mod and the fun factor will shoot up, especially if it's a dd, might as well make the most of it.
And yes, I'm boosted and it's fun beating higher performers off the line. That's why I bought the car, to have fun.

Anyways, to reach your goals, I'd advise supercharging rather than turbo charging. It's by far cheaper. Most kits run less than $5k. Get your supporting mods like headers, front pipe, over pipe and exhaust. You will need a flex fuel kit to run E85 and a tune along with larger injectors and a new fuel pump. I'd also advise getting an M85 differential from a Lexus IS300, that will make a huge difference. All of this will get you up to 310whp which is really quick for a light car.
All of this will run you about $10k. A bit pricey, but worth it. lol
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal3000 For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #150
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,215 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #151
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Please go and read and point out where I "bashed" his build.
I am not saying you did btw. I am saying how people bash in general. by the way it seemed I can see how it was thought that I meant you, but I was late to the convo. I am saying that I am a purist but that I dont bash peoples choices. So I apologize for the confusion.
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #152
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
this thread is still not closed???
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Psilox (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #153
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz

Perfection.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #154
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Is there any reason for a V8 stretched tires rocket bunny kit big ass wing FR-S?

Yes. RACECAR!
Tcoat (08-01-2016)