follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #141
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
As mentioned above if you plan to mod it then there is no reason to buy new, at least in regard to warranty. If you plan to keep it stock I would likely buy new just for the changes but that's just personal preference. These cars have shown that they are pretty damn reliable even used.
Even if you plan on modding it, you can still take advantage of a new car warranty. Most of the body, and other features will be unaffected no matter what modifications you make. Do what I do and start with wheels/tires, suspension, etc... and you can do quite a bit without voiding the majority of your powertrain warranty. The warranty is selective, not all or nothing

But yeah, if you plan on swapping in a V8, and tearing the whole car apart within a few months, maybe the warranty isn't quite as useful, lol.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #142
Deadrik

Drives: 02 Mustang, Hopeful BRZ soon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Even if you plan on modding it, you can still take advantage of a new car warranty. Most of the body, and other features will be unaffected no matter what modifications you make. Do what I do and start with wheels/tires, suspension, etc... and you can do quite a bit without voiding the majority of your powertrain warranty. The warranty is selective, not all or nothing

But yeah, if you plan on swapping in a V8, and tearing the whole car apart within a few months, maybe the warranty isn't quite as useful, lol.
I was thinking new wheels, first the winter ones (safety first) than the summers.

No V8 for me yet, who knows what the long future lies ahead. Maybe down the road if i get a new DD, i can mess with it more. I always wanted a project car.
Deadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #143
Deadrik

Drives: 02 Mustang, Hopeful BRZ soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
After you have been here a while you will know you can never truly derail a thread here. They branch off but almost always end up straight again!
Aye aye captain!
Deadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #144
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
They are taking about the WRX engine above? I'm confused where you're getting the supercharged part.
Crap, you're right. Turbocharged. Gotta read.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJones_RB For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #145
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
there has been a few times where I was oversteering on the track and I thought that I could control it until at the end where my car just instantly loses control. I wonder if having the VSC/TC fully off (pedal dance) would have affected anything. or I just suck at counter steering lol
When EBF kicks in it's really obvious, Like when you try drifting but fail @ it & front tire just brake/drag like no tomorrow even with traction off.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #146
invaliduser

Drives: 2017 86
Am I reading the curb weight numbers correct? A 20-30lb gain depending on the model?
invaliduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #147
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I honestly don't think there will be a next generation. Given the amount of R&D they have invested into this car they might just make a 3rd iteration of the same basic chassis if there is still a market left by then.

The rest of their lineup is going modular isn't it, won't be as bespoke and probably won't be as good.
Hopefully there is just continues updates like 911s through out the years...(&Subaru basically use it to test their new tech first before putting it in WRX)

I mean that's what tada san said he wanted to do few years ago....
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-28-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 12:27 AM   #148
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I really want to trade in my '15 for this now lol... probably not the smartest move though
Save your money and mod the 15!!!!!
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #149
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
tell me genius, where's your link showing that charlesite yellow is the same as sunrise yellow or yuzu for scion?
Obviously I don't really know. It just makes more sense for it to be the same since they're coming off the same assembly line, and they've shared every other color except for the brand unique ones. It's an educated guess rather than thinking a name means anything. WR Blue is a perfect example of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno86power View Post
LED designed headlight is, from my experience, as bright as HID. My daily is a 2015 Corolla with OEM LED headlight. It look great, it's reallly bright and it don't generate heat on the housing like HID. The only minus, (on the Corolla) if the LED fail, the headlamp assembly must be replaced.
They're pretty good on the Corolla, but they still lack the width of HID. LED does consume less power though...

Quote:
Probably means running change. Somebody with a last batch MY16 should check under the hood.
If that's the case, that confirms that they're 100% bolt in and compatible. Here's hoping it gets rid of the crickets.

Quote:
Been using high output LEDs on my mountain bike and flashlights for a decade, and they generate ALOT of heat. I can imagine they must have massive headsinks on these LED car headlights somewhere at the back. If the heat doesn't dissipate then the light output would dim overtime.

Amazing how far LED technology has become, a palm size flashlight now can output like 1000 lumens.
Head with LED's could take up an entire thread, but they generate less heat for their equivalent output because they're more efficient. (Their efficacy is also better usually, and efficacy has been coming up over the years). BUT, the components can't handle their own heat, so a thermal solution has to be found to remove the heat from the diode. So it's a little bit of both, they output less heat for the light output, but they have to have a thermal solution to deal with the heat or they'll fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
"The BRZ has evolved again, with revised valves, camshafts and cylinder blocks."

So I Google FA20:

"The FA20D features both direct and port injection (Toyota's D-4S injection system) and Subaru AVCS variable valve timing system. It is used in the Subaru BRZ, and is identified by a Toyota engine family code known as the 4U-GSE, which is installed in the Toyota 86 and the Scion FR-S.[7] According to Subaru, 0W-20 oil is recommended."

and under that:

"FA20F: A version with Subaru's own direct fuel injection and twin-scroll turbocharger was introduced in 2012.

Displacement: 1,998 cc
Bore: 86 mm
Stroke: 86 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1"

So the 86 uses Toyota's DFI system, even in the BRZ, but the F model uses Subaru's DFI system, and it's supercharged? Is it basically the same engine? Curious how this affected the new 86 version.
Curious as well as the FA20 in the WRX is a bit beefier than ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaliduser View Post
Am I reading the curb weight numbers correct? A 20-30lb gain depending on the model?
They have quite a lot more sound damping material in them, as well as a few added braces.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #150
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
To be honest if you looks away from the hype, The only thing that gives real performance is the 4.3 Final Drive. I think like 8/10 of us will install that....

Then brembos.

This. Most people interested in that sort of thing have already gone the 4.56 or 4.88 route honestly, but an OEM option would be quite the difference
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #151
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

They're pretty good on the Corolla, but they still lack the width of HID. LED does consume less power though...

Head with LED's could take up an entire thread, but they generate less heat for their equivalent output because they're more efficient. (Their efficacy is also better usually, and efficacy has been coming up over the years). BUT, the components can't handle their own heat, so a thermal solution has to be found to remove the heat from the diode. So it's a little bit of both, they output less heat for the light output, but they have to have a thermal solution to deal with the heat or they'll fail.

My 2015 Rogue has LED headlights and they work perfectly, perfect width and depth, the self leveling makes a world of difference. I think the GT86 had a self leveling setup where as the BRZ had a manual adjustment, a self leveling system would really help.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #152
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

Curious as well as the FA20 in the WRX is a bit beefier than ours.

Ofcourse, there are reinforcement ribs outside & few small changes But it's not high rpm "friendly" like ours. Then again the 2017 FA20 engine gets different kind reinforcement too that's around the crank & head.

(You can miss-shift our engine to like near 8.5k & it will be fine on twins with updated cam/valve (2014 late model onward), try that on WRX one.)
Attached Images

Last edited by chaoskaze; 06-29-2016 at 04:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (06-29-2016), nikitopo (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #153
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ

Looks like my car still has the old style fuel pump. Build date is 3/16.

Quote:
I've attached the picture.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Da Brz For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-29-2016), krayzie (06-29-2016), murdoc (06-29-2016), Stang70Fastback (06-29-2016), Tcoat (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #154
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
My 2015 Rogue has LED headlights and they work perfectly, perfect width and depth, the self leveling makes a world of difference. I think the GT86 had a self leveling setup where as the BRZ had a manual adjustment, a self leveling system would really help.
Depends on the market. For example EU regulations require cars with HIDs to have self leveling and headlight washers, the GT86 and BRZ in Europe would have these as standard equipment.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-29-2016)