follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #57
xlid007

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My setup sounds a bit like yours but way more quiet. I have the Tomei UEL header, Tomei Over Pipe, Berk Catted Front Pipe and Zeta catback exhaust. There is absolutely no drone while driving, no rasp of any kind, and it has that nice boxer sound when i get on the gas. Try adding that catted front pipe to your setup and maybe add some resonators to the exhaust piping.
xlid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #58
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJ28 View Post
Been reading through this thread. Keep us updated
I have ofh with Perrin 3" non res catback exhaust
I think it's a little too raspy
Hoping to get ideas from your experiments lol
My experiments are getting pricey... but always glad to let others benefit from my mistakes
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #59
ajcarson11

All,

Just got back from muffler shop again. Replaced useless bottle muffler with 1792 Vibrant Bottle Resonator.

Initial impressions: The original rumble and throatiness has returned, but with a 20% reduction in volume i'd bet. Absolutely no rasp at any RPM now. Drone seems more tolerable but i've not been on highway to know whether that is tamed as well.

Will provide update as I try it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
Xuningshen (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #60
ajcarson11

Final update:

After a few hours of driving things have changed in my opinion:

The resonator is AWESOME! It took down the boominess of the exhaust (all of the extra bass that droned over the tone in-cabin when windows were closed). It reduced drone on highway at 3k, took away any hint of rasp (there is seriously no rasp now, just tone), and reduced volume 10-15% or so.

At cold start the rumble is gone with the resonator... but once the engine gets up to temperature the rumble is there, can be felt in the seat in a very robust way.

No rasp at all -- And I really mean it. It took a 'monster' sounding exhaust and tamed it.

Imagine turning your radio up in volume until you can hear distortion. This is what the original axleback sounded like with catless header. Now turn the radio down just a few clicks until the distortion goes away - The volume and effect is nearly as strong, but its more pleasing to the senses. This is how the axleback + catless header sounds with the 1792 Vibrant resonator installed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-07-2016), Xuningshen (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #61
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Final update:

After a few hours of driving things have changed in my opinion:

The resonator is AWESOME! It took down the boominess of the exhaust (all of the extra bass that droned over the tone in-cabin when windows were closed). It reduced drone on highway at 3k, took away any hint of rasp (there is seriously no rasp now, just tone), and reduced volume 10-15% or so.

At cold start the rumble is gone with the resonator... but once the engine gets up to temperature the rumble is there, can be felt in the seat in a very robust way.

No rasp at all -- And I really mean it. It took a 'monster' sounding exhaust and tamed it.

Imagine turning your radio up in volume until you can hear distortion. This is what the original axleback sounded like with catless header. Now turn the radio down just a few clicks until the distortion goes away - The volume and effect is nearly as strong, but its more pleasing to the senses. This is how the axleback + catless header sounds with the 1792 Vibrant resonator installed.
Thanks for sharing, I was looking at getting that resonator but was afraid it'd do too much, after your review I think it'll be perfect for myself. Thanks very much!
ajcarson11 (06-08-2016)