follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 AM   #687
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The only upside I can see with this bumper design is the placement of the lights to meet dot standards after lowering the car. The new gaping mouth does allow the car to appear wider, but the upper lip is just plain unattractive. Probably not as ugly as the nose of the 06-07 wrx (that i can never come to terms with), but it's pretty unflattering. Luckily the license plate will cover it.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #688
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesign View Post
The only upside I can see with this bumper design is the placement of the lights to meet dot standards after lowering the car. The new gaping mouth does allow the car to appear wider, but the upper lip is just plain unattractive. Probably not as ugly as the nose of the 06-07 wrx (that i can never come to terms with), but it's pretty unflattering. Luckily the license plate will cover it.
Awww... But I loved those noses! (Not kidding)

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #689
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
New headlights.... Better than frs not as good as brz.
Front bumper slightly worse than brz which was the second of two.
Shark fin and wheels are better.
Taillights are a pass.
Steering wheel and silver stitching is worse.
Some hp and shorter gearing is better regardless of 0-60 fan boy bs.
It shouldn't go up in price but it probably will.

I would be happier if it had 20hp more and only sold in manual. An auto in this car is useless.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #690
gt8613
I dream of BRZ

Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesign View Post
quotes whole post images and all. responds with two actual words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
gt8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gt8613 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #691
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Whats the detriment to adding hill assist? Its a standard Subaru feature and can be deactivated. The 86 is the only Toyota that will sell a significant precentage of manual transmission, this will make it more palatable for some people.

The steering wheel controls no doubt a major detail that consumer focus pinpointed demand for.

The restyle? I think is is a fairly up to date Toyota evolution leaning to their design language. A recognizable Toyota.

The superfans here sometimes take everything toopersonally. Suppose your bank account depended on how this car sold to the masses? Get it?

This is a niche car and the marketing experts are adjusting the content to broaden the niche without completely forgetting the mission. This is what makes companies like Toyota unique, they didnt forget they used to make cool sporty cars. Its a financial challenge but they are doing their job to satisfy enthusiasts while maintaining what is hopefully a financially sustainable game plan.

Alternately for double, triple or many times the price German manufacturers can accommodate a lower volume niche model.

Stop bitching and complaining fanboys. Or buy used.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 03-19-2016 at 08:51 AM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (03-21-2016), Tcoat (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #692
ChrisFL

Drives: 2014 FR-S(daily), tC & 3 MR2's prev
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
The restyle? I think is is a fairly up to date Toyota evolution leaning to their design language. A recognizable Toyota.
But it's their premier sports car, it shouldn't share any look with the other boring Toyotas.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #693
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
But it's their premier sports car, it shouldn't share any look with the other boring Toyotas.
Thats the corporate philosphy. If/when the FT1 goes to market it too will incorporate elements that make it recognizable with the brand just as the LFA did with Lexus.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #694
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thats the corporate philosphy. If/when the FT1 goes to market it too will incorporate elements that make it recognizable with the brand just as the LFA did with Lexus.
Here's hoping they make it look like a great white
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #695
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
I see subtle hints of a different kind of sports car they're supposedly working on. One a bit more "premier" then the 86.

Except for the steering wheel I don't mind the refresh one bit. Things never worked out for me to get a FRS but the timing will be perfect for me on the 86. Everyone griping about the refresh reminds me of the griping we did about how dumbed down the FRS got compared to the concepts or the 'stache hate on the BRZ. I was especially annoyed the FRS got the plain headlights. I say it is what it is. Just like the originals, eventually the new look will grow on us.

Anyways, if things work out, I'll be buying my first "Toyota" in fall.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #696
seito23

Drives: Corn Juice junkie
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Okay, so, not the change I was hoping for. However, since theres no hp bump, sorry gearing doesn't constitute a REAL bump in my book. I must add a turbo. So the ugly bumper insert is coming out for an intercooler anyway. Wheels, who cares, going rpf1 or rip. Steering wheel, fine I will go aftermarket, stupid buttons. People need to disengage with electronics while driving, not come up with more ways to incorporate them, my opinion. Did we fix the reliability concerns?

If they fixed the "bugs" I will happily get in line for the 2018. Maybe then we get the real power bump this car deserves, 20hp.

Hold on, let me put on my flame retardant suit, okay then.

Some small part of me was hoping for a Toyota engine.
I know, completely unrealistic but it would go a long way in the reliability department and create some variability in options for the twins. After all, if you want the fa20 you could still hit you local Subaru dealership.

This to me, seems like an underwhelming revision overall.
Heres to waiting for 2018 or some other manufacturers to fill the void.
seito23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #697
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm curious to see whether Toyota USA will use the demise of Scion to reposition the 86 as a more mature product and offer two grades.
While there will likely be a couple trim levels available, if history is any proof it will be very difficult to find the base-models. Dealers here tend to load cars up with everything they can since their margin is higher with the accessories.

I had a hard time finding the base model without the Bespoke stereo back in 2012. I'd imagine it's even harder now, and once it's officially a Toyota over here...

Also, thanks to whoever first mentioned the Eclipse as the inspiration for those lower bumper garnishes, because that's right on the nose. I think I'm bugged by them because now they don't even have turn signals in them (and of course no fogs), so not only do they look dated, they're completely worthless.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #698
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Reliability hasn't been an issue for a few model years. Toyota doesn't have an engine that is appropriate for this chassis.

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #699
seito23

Drives: Corn Juice junkie
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I still read some stories on the boards here of newer MY twins having engine issues. Then there's: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...S/Reliability/

If Toyota wants back into the performance market, really wants back in.
4A.GE, 1JZ, 2JZ. Their resume is pretty strong.

They should atleast be in the early stages of development. They cant lean on Subaru forever.
seito23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #700
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Whats the detriment to adding hill assist? Its a standard Subaru feature and can be deactivated. The 86 is the only Toyota that will sell a significant precentage of manual transmission, this will make it more palatable for some people.

The steering wheel controls no doubt a major detail that consumer focus pinpointed demand for.

The superfans here sometimes take everything toopersonally. Suppose your bank account depended on how this car sold to the masses? Get it?

This is a niche car and the marketing experts are adjusting the content to broaden the niche without completely forgetting the mission. This is what makes companies like Toyota unique, they didnt forget they used to make cool sporty cars. Its a financial challenge but they are doing their job to satisfy enthusiasts while maintaining what is hopefully a financially sustainable game plan.

Alternately for double, triple or many times the price German manufacturers can accommodate a lower volume niche model.

Stop bitching and complaining fanboys. Or buy used.
Again and again this^^^^^^
raven1231 (03-19-2016), wireman957 (03-19-2016)

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard