follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #85
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
so from what i'm understanding, we should also be able to just buy the relay and tap into the necessary wires to get a heated mirror(assuming you have a heated mirror) instead of buying the proper subaru mirrors right? i mean for those people that planned to swap mirrors anyway then there isn't a huge reason not to just tap the correct wires unless you really, really want correct connectors and no taps.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #86
NahumCC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
so from what i'm understanding, we should also be able to just buy the relay and tap into the necessary wires to get a heated mirror(assuming you have a heated mirror) instead of buying the proper subaru mirrors right? i mean for those people that planned to swap mirrors anyway then there isn't a huge reason not to just tap the correct wires unless you really, really want correct connectors and no taps.
Yes, if you want to do it that way. In this case you would buy the relay, buy replacement glass with heated element, splice into door harness and run wiring as needed.

Buying the mirror assembly let's you avoid having to splice the oem harness.

It just comes down to a preference of how yoh like to do installs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
NahumCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #87
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,484 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
So that's confirmation that just buying the mirror assemblies and the relay gets you working heated mirrors? Might have to make the investment and do this.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #88
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
So that's confirmation that just buying the mirror assemblies and the relay gets you working heated mirrors? Might have to make the investment and do this.
For the TLR folks lol, yes. That was what I've found. Now I haven't done it myself yet due to priorities but the wiring is there from the factory. Plug in a set of housings that have the wiring and heating element along with the relay and you'll be good to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NahumCC For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-01-2016), phanguy (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #89
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
For the TLR folks lol, yes. That was what I've found. Now I haven't done it myself yet due to priorities but the wiring is there from the factory. Plug in a set of housings that have the wiring and heating element along with the relay and you'll be good to go.
That's what I thought. Sweet, thank you for doing the legwork.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 AM   #90
Gregorio3

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S RS1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I plugged in mine and I installed the relay and still don't work the mirror assemblies have the 5 wires but after looking the door harness only has 4 wires. So I'm left with one wire with no connection so I'm not sure what the wire connects to or what I should do with it. I feel like it's a ground but I'm not sure.
Gregorio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #91
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio3 View Post
I plugged in mine and I installed the relay and still don't work the mirror assemblies have the 5 wires but after looking the door harness only has 4 wires. So I'm left with one wire with no connection so I'm not sure what the wire connects to or what I should do with it. I feel like it's a ground but I'm not sure.
I'm thinking common ground is already there for the mirror motors. The single conductor would be the +12V for the mirror heat. Also not sure.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #92
NahumCC

Garage
Not sure either. Everything was at the plug in the cabin going to the door.

I'll try and find time to get inside the door panel and figure out what's going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #93
DocWalt

If it's as simple as adding a wire to a connector in the door (assuming the wire actually goes into the door) then all we'd need is a couple of pins and a length of wire. If it doesn't go into the door it's more of a PITA, but should still be a relatively easy install. I was really hoping to avoid running wires and tearing the door apart, but it looks like the inner door panel needs to come off to install the mirror anyway.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #94
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
If it's as simple as adding a wire to a connector in the door (assuming the wire actually goes into the door) then all we'd need is a couple of pins and a length of wire. If it doesn't go into the door it's more of a PITA, but should still be a relatively easy install. I was really hoping to avoid running wires and tearing the door apart, but it looks like the inner door panel needs to come off to install the mirror anyway.
I've been hanging back because I have so many damn irons in the fire. @NahumCC laid some good ground work. Thanks, man.

If the weather holds out this weekend, I'll dig in and trace some signals. There, I said it. Now I have to do it.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #95
NahumCC

Garage
Ok so this has been bothering me with others reporting they installed everything and changed the mirrors to no avail.

It's raining right now and I don't have the garage space but in a few days I'll be able to pull the cowl in the footwell and I'll test out the pin to confirm the power is making its way all the way at least to connector ED1 in the footwell.

However I came across this photo from rally direct installing the APR mirrors on there base model BRZ. This is the passenger side door mirror connector.

What I'm bothered by is not seeing the pink wire going into that connector coming from the door harness. I've searched both the FR-S and BRZ wiring harness diagrams and neither shows any splice location that it could be running to and no other connector call out besides E7 or F7 for the mirrors call out the pink wire coming from connectors ED1 or FD1.

New possible finding being sought is that 10 series may have the Monogram wiring but not the heated mirror assemblies. See below post looking for photos of connector ED1 on a base FR-S to be posted.

Last edited by NahumCC; 03-13-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #96
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Ugh, no, I haven't. Just too many damn cars with more serious issues. I'm my extended family's mechanic. Jeez, that was already 2 weekends. I'm sorry.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #97
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ugh, no, I haven't. Just too many damn cars with more serious issues. I'm my extended family's mechanic. Jeez, that was already 2 weekends. I'm sorry.
I know the feeling. No biggie.

Another possible thought I've had is that since the 10 series came right before the Monograms which did get the heated mirrors is its possible that 10 series have the wiring in place for heated mirrors where as base models may not possibly.

So maybe one of the quick things you should do @Ultramaroon is snap a pic of the ED1 connector and see if you have that same pink wire I showed. Or if @Gregorio3 could post up a pic of his ED1 connector that could solves his.

Last edited by NahumCC; 03-13-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #98
NahumCC

Garage
Hahaha!!!!!!! I got a break in the weather and its just foggy so I tested the pin in connector ED1.

I GOT POWER. I'll have to pull the door card off later to look at my pin out inside the door.

So if when you look at your driver side footwell behind the panel covering you hood release and see the connector on the left has the pink wire coming out of it into the door.

Then you'll see this if you've installed the relay in the fuse box for the heated mirrors when you turn on the rear defroster. As soon as I turned the defroster off voltage went right to zero.

The Following User Says Thank You to NahumCC For This Useful Post:
jliongh (08-31-2016)

Tags
must do this