follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 AM   #1
SrgtSnuggles

Drives: Track oriented BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What coilovers to get

Hey everyone I know this topic has been beat to death but I was wondering if I could get some expert advice on this topic for my situation. I have a Brz that I track often. I do drive it on the street and rarly in the winter but almost half the miles are on the track. In terms of coilovers I was thinking of either getting the KW clubsports, the racecomp engineering Tarmac 2's, or maybe even the JRZ rs1's. I don't care about how it feels on the road and I will be installing all urethan bushings. Any recommendations on what I should get? If I drive it in the winter I probably will put the stock suspension back.

In terms of my driving level I have been racing for 7 years and would like a suspension I can really take advantage of. I do plan to do rear lower control arms and front camber plates.
In terms of lowering the car I probably won't go more then half an inch if I do at all unless you guys recommend it for performance. Let me know what you think or reco men for suspension. I'm trying not to break the bank to hard on this. The Rs1's would probably be as expensive as I'll go but it would be nice to have a double or triple adjustable suspension.

Thanks
SrgtSnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,950 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I think all those are pretty well respected and any of them will work fine for you. Everyone will ask what your budget is so you might as well figure out what you want to spend now
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
infinity21

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As someone that uses his car very similarly (half my mileage is track related), I ended up going with RCE T2. One of my concerns was with budget (sinking Canadian dollar) so there weren't many quality choices available. If I were you, I would ask myself what I really want the car to do (open lapping, being competitive in auto-x, etc.) and what your budget is.

That being said, I won't be installing until the spring so no hands-on experience yet!
infinity21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RCE is amazing, plus the T2 come with a warranty, and the Clubsports do not.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
-Phil

Drives: Rb25 neo brz
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I would go with the Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2's, i Recently purchased a set for my car for higher spring rates i haven't been able to test them just yet but they were definetely the right choice. Also RCE was an absolute pleasure to deal with
-Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
SrgtSnuggles

Awesome looks like the Tarmac 2's are the winner. Thanks for the input guys. In terms of budget i was hoping not to go over $5000 including lower control arms and top hats but if there was a suspension that wasn't to much more expensive I might go for it. For what Im doing through it sounds like Tarmac 2's will be good enough. I was going to corner balance the car as well.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,950 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrgtSnuggles View Post
Awesome looks like the Tarmac 2's are the winner. Thanks for the input guys. In terms of budget i was hoping not to go over $5000 including lower control arms and top hats but if there was a suspension that wasn't to much more expensive I might go for it. For what Im doing through it sounds like Tarmac 2's will be good enough. I was going to corner balance the car as well.
I dunno about you guys but this doesn't seem like a "budget" more like: buy whatever cuz you can afford it all. That is 20% of what the car cost new... just saying. The only ones I can think of that might be "too expensive" would be Ohlins
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
In terms of my driving level I have been racing for 7 years and would like a suspension I can really take advantage of.
allllrightyyyy finally someone askinh about real suspension lol.

if you have the RS1's in mind, dont forget about AST ( @Captain Snooze) and MCS. they make some really good suspension bits.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Fenix

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S + 2011 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Have you thought about Fortune Auto coilovers? My local tuners told me about them.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenix For This Useful Post:
John Rambo (02-25-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
What coilovers to get

5k??

Dude find a used Ohlin.... Profit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
SrgtSnuggles

[quote=chaoskaze;2541858] 5k??

Dude find a used Ohlin.... Profit

(dont know why the quote is not working) Honestly from what I've seen at the track i haven't been to impressed with the Ohlins. The seem to be for someone who wants comfort and some trackability. I was looking for something more aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
Have you thought about Fortune Auto coilovers? My local tuners told me about them.
Which ones would you recommend and how would the compare to the RCE T2's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
allllrightyyyy finally someone askinh about real suspension lol.

if you have the RS1's in mind, dont forget about AST ( @Captain Snooze) and MCS. they make some really good suspension bits.
Which AST coilovers would you recommend? The 4250's? Honestly I don't know much about them. I don't even know what spring rates I would chose fore those. The spring rate options seem a lot stiffer then I've seen. hell if its worth it to go that stiff though and it will make me faster i'd get them
Old 02-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Which AST coilovers would you recommend? The 4250's? Honestly I don't know much about them. I don't even know what spring rates I would chose fore those. The spring rate options seem a lot stiffer then I've seen. hell if its worth it to go that stiff though and it will make me faster i'd get them
alrighty Sarge. A bit of clarification for you; stiff is the wrong way to think about it. Firm is a better description. The spring rates can be whatever they want because the damper will be damped accordingly. @CSG Mike has said multiple times that stiff =/= uncomfortable. Pretty sure he said he had an s2k with 10k and 12k rates that rode like a lexus but cornered like a porsche.

The best part about AST is that since most of it is custom (like with JRZ & MCS) you get the "ideal" setup for what you want, in your car. Dont forget Penske as well, they get expensive really quick but alot of their systems can be put together off the shelf and hit the target "feel" very well.

Now how much custom work you want inside of the shock (like piston options) will vary depending on brand. JRZ and MCS im pretty sure have a bit more of a selection when it comes to this, at a cost though.

If you can go for it, do as many adjustments as you can. if you dont know what your knob does, ask someone who does to turn the knob for you. (kinda gets around the whole too many adjustments for my knowledge dilema).
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Oh the S2ks we set up are often in the 16-20k range, but keep in mind the wheel rates dont translate directly with a BRZ/FRS.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Oh the S2ks we set up are often in the 16-20k range, but keep in mind the wheel rates dont translate directly with a BRZ/FRS.
indeed so, as the rates dont directly transfer from any car to any car. The fact that most people go alot softer than they need to, is the common misconception.

(also due to the fact of the double wishbone vs mcphearson)

Tags
coilovers, track