follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #29
rascasse

Drives: DGM GT86, half leather, RPS, Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
My bad for not being clearer. Check out some pictures to notice how the clutch release mechanism sits right in between the flywheel/clutch and the transmission. It's not exactly part of either.

When you press the clutch, the TOB moves forward, pushing in the pressure plate fingers. Anything out of line or rolling unevenly will be felt pushing back at your foot. A hydraulic connection between the pedal and the clutch is a mechanical connection as much as any other.

Consider ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) If you haven't ever felt it kick in, you should familiarize yourself with it. Find a safe place to try locking the brakes. 10 MPH is plenty. Just stomp on the brakes and feel the kickback. That's all hydraulics.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense or if I'm not even addressing your question.
Thanks dude for the reply!

This sort of makes sense..The most i feel the symptom of my issue is going downhill on my fathers rough track drive with clutch depressed. It feels like there is a knocking like something is loose as if the gearbox or some other part is shaking around and rattling and this is then felt through the clutch pedal so maybe it is the TOB rattling?? My dealer has had the car on a ramp so they must of checked other components for play such as bushings etc but then i'm never sure with garages being that thorough lol

I have activated the ABS once on this car in the wet so i can see what you mean by the similarity in feeling..It's just when you read the following thread like this it scares me that this is an inherent issue with the car that is just normal - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29405
rascasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #30
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,812 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascasse View Post
It's just when you read the following thread like this it scares me that this is an inherent issue with the car that is just normal - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29405
Oh, sure, that's interesting. The engine/transmission is supported at 3 points. It already flops around quite a lot but if it's possible for it to not be centered, I can picture something knocking around. Might even be parts of the exhaust.

It's not something that will leave you stranded but worth getting an experienced pair of eyes onto it. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #31
rascasse

Quote:
Oh, sure, that's interesting. The engine/transmission is supported at 3 points. It already flops around quite a lot but if it's possible for it to not be centered, I can picture something knocking around. Might even be parts of the exhaust.

It's not something that will leave you stranded but worth getting an experienced pair of eyes onto it. Thanks for the link.
Yeah that is an interesting thread and i told my dealer about that possibility but they ruled it out..anyway i'm booking it in soon and have got to stop analysing all these possibilities and let them have a look i guess

Forgot to say do you get any of the symptoms i've had?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #32
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote:
Yeah that is an interesting thread and i told my dealer about that possibility but they ruled it out..anyway i'm booking it in soon and have got to stop analysing all these possibilities and let them have a look i guess

Forgot to say do you get any of the symptoms i've had?
My transmission rumbles a little when it's cold. This morning I heard a cyclic "thunk thunk thunk" as captured on video in another thread so I'll find that one tonight and hopefully allay some concerns.

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a noisy little sports car. I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #33
rascasse

Quote:
My transmission rumbles a little when it's cold. This morning I heard a cyclic "thunk thunk thunk" as captured on video in another thread so I'll find that one tonight and hopefully allay some concerns.

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a noisy little sports car. I'm a happy camper.
My trans does that too..

My knocking issue doesn't really have any major impact I guess apart from making the car feel cheap when going over rough roads at low speed
Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #34
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote:
My trans does that too..

My knocking issue doesn't really have any major impact I guess apart from making the car feel cheap when going over rough roads at low speed
I think it's worth having checked. You'll feel much better for both knowing what it is and if possible, fixing it.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #35
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
My trans does that too..

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "DGM" GT86 ...... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #36
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
Asphalt. Dark grey metallic(?)
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Thanks, @Cole

daaaaa........me

Seriously, I thought it was a special model for the UK, which may have something to do with the OP's problem.

I'm OK now .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #38
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I believe wasn't DGM a special package in europe or the UK? Like it makes it more rally like or something. I'm pretty sure the only colors they get are Pure red, starlight blue, white pearl, black and orange
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #39
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I believe wasn't DGM a special package in europe or the UK? Like it makes it more rally like or something. I'm pretty sure the only colors they get are Pure red, starlight blue, white pearl, black and orange
hmmmmm..........OK, so @rascasse ....... does this rally package exist on your car .. ??

If so, how does it differ from how our regular cars are set up ... ??

Could there be some differences in the steering or suspension that would contribute to your dilemma .. ??

@Cole ..... well the color thing sounded good to me .....

humfrz
Old 01-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #40
rascasse

Quote:
hmmmmm..........OK, so @rascasse ....... does this rally package exist on your car .. ??

If so, how does it differ from how our regular cars are set up ... ??

Could there be some differences in the steering or suspension that would contribute to your dilemma .. ??

@Cole ..... well the color thing sounded good to me .....

humfrz

Haha it is indeed just Dark Grey Metallic here in the UK No I think our cars and yours have exactly the same suspension setup from what I've read. Just interior/standard equipment differences I guess..

God this car rattles inside I've now noticed over rough roads a vibration coming from the passenger side, I thought my GF had left something in the bottle holder or something in glove but nothing..argh!! driving me mad.

On a side note, when I go to 3rd gear, is it normal for the stick to move left and right a bit or would you say that could be a bit of free play?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #41
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote:
Haha it is indeed just Dark Grey Metallic here in the UK No I think our cars and yours have exactly the same suspension setup from what I've read. Just interior/standard equipment differences I guess..

God this car rattles inside I've now noticed over rough roads a vibration coming from the passenger side, I thought my GF had left something in the bottle holder or something in glove but nothing..argh!! driving me mad.

On a side note, when I go to 3rd gear, is it normal for the stick to move left and right a bit or would you say that could be a bit of free play?
That's one of those questions that requires a film clip. Can you post up something?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #42
humfrz

Quote:
Well, mine doesn't move (or I don't notice it moving).

So, when you're in 3rd gear and moving and apply then let off the gas, do you see the shift lever moving .... ??

If so, the motor mounts (and/or transmission mount) may be lose or broken.....

Have they checked/replaced the motor mounts .... ??

humfrz