follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #57
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bump drafting.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #58
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Huh?
This video isn't the best example but it gets the point across, yellow car starts 3rd ends up 2nd after turns 1-2, pulls a significant lead on the other cars because they have the desirable line (and drafting) and is now free to challenge for victory without worry of what's behind him:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FLjJBwCf9k"]Green-White-Checkered At Texas Motor Speedway (2014 NASCAR Highlights) - YouTube[/ame]

Contrast to this in which the car starting 3rd immediately tries to take the lead, blows his shot at a first or second place finish (with a teammate) and winds up 4th in the process essentially fumbling it for his teammate as well. Worth noting in the chaos the car that finished 2nd took the green flag in like 8th, made ~6 positions in two laps.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD4i8O7mM8U"]Kyle Busch Wins in Green-White-Checkered Finish - Fontana - 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry it wasn't more clear, freight train is kinda slang, you pretty much end up leaving the car on the undesirable line out to dry, I watched people go from the lead to finishing midpack in three laps because they couldn't get back on the fast line.

Edit: I'll post a better video if I find one, I've definitely seen it broadcast where a car starting first/second looses a ton of spots.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #59
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
This video isn't the best example but it gets the point across, yellow car starts 3rd ends up 2nd after turns 1-2, pulls a significant lead on the other cars because they have the desirable line (and drafting) and is now free to challenge for victory without worry of what's behind him:

Contrast to this in which the car starting 3rd immediately tries to take the lead, blows his shot at a first or second place finish (with a teammate) and winds up 4th in the process essentially fumbling it for his teammate as well. Worth noting in the chaos the car that finished 2nd took the green flag in like 8th, made ~6 positions in two laps.

Sorry it wasn't more clear, freight train is kinda slang, you pretty much end up leaving the car on the undesirable line out to dry, I watched people go from the lead to finishing midpack in three laps because they couldn't get back on the fast line.

Edit: I'll post a better video if I find one, I've definitely seen it broadcast where a car starting first/second looses a ton of spots.
I know what drafting is I'd just never heard that slang term before. So I was sitting here thinking "WTF kind of racing is he doing where they have to push a car off of train tracks to let a freight train pass?"

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #60
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I know what drafting is I'd just never heard that slang term before. So I was sitting here thinking "WTF kind of racing is he doing where they have to push a car off of train tracks to let a freight train pass?"
Wasn't going at speeds where drafting was in play, it referred more to blocking the desirable line, if a driver gets caught out he can watch helplessly as a few cars blow by him nose to tail, its literally like watching a freight train pass you.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #61
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
I wish I had that kind of cash to drop in one lump on a build. I just don't think if I did I would want be autocross in with it. I just have a hard time trying justify building a race car and not going racing.
Sorry if that pisses off all you autox guys but I grew up actually racing, so autox will never be actual racing to me.
Just read the whole thread. There is a lot of good and wasted advice.

Goddamn.

Nobody wants your attitude in autox, and you probably would suck at it anyway, especially with that attitude. Go away and "actually race" then.
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #62
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Wasn't going at speeds where drafting was in play, it referred more to blocking the desirable line, if a driver gets caught out he can watch helplessly as a few cars blow by him nose to tail, its literally like watching a freight train pass you.
Oh.

I call that "trying to merge onto a freeway in Seattle while dealing with passive aggressive drivers."

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-18-2015)