follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
jtsimaras

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Mazda CX5,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dee View Post
Post a shot when you're done, I think many people would benefit from these hacks.
Will do
jtsimaras is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtsimaras For This Useful Post:
a_dee (07-10-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #16
a_dee

Drives: '14 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OK, made a shim out of jewelers bench block (rubber) and then got everything reinstalled. Much better now. The angle is now 0 degrees straight back at a height of around 32" where the camera is located and then just catches the back of the bumper.
Attached Images

Last edited by a_dee; 07-26-2015 at 01:30 AM.
a_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
jtsimaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dee View Post
OK, made a shim out of jewelers bench block (rubber) and then got everything reinstalled. Much better now. The angle is now 0 degrees straight back at a height of around 32" where the camera is located and then just catches the back of the bumper.
Nice work.
I haven't been able to do this yet. In addition my camera has been acting up...it will work sometimes and then not others. When I check all connections I will realign.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #18
jtsimaras

Interesting :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACK-UP-MINI...fcb600&vxp=mtr
Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
a_dee

Drives: '14 BRZ CBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
looks like you might be able to get a bit more height easily with this.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #20
rip curl

Drives: 13 BRZ
Quote:
Thanks for the write up I did this today. I added a slight variation to the wiring procedure.
For the Reverse wire I wired it up to a harness behind stereo that is used for stock back up camera, as indicated in picture it is the orange/white wire.

Saves time having to run to footwell. Only compliant I can give about the camera is the angle seems to point down a lot, besides that it is awesome.

Thanks
I'm going to attempt this install as I have the harness from Amazon and the camera now. I'm a little confused as to where this harness is. Is this the main harness that is no longer used and is being solely used to tap into the camera?

Also, where do I pull +12V power from to power the camera? Same harness?
rip curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:20 PM   #21
jtsimaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip curl View Post
I'm going to attempt this install as I have the harness from Amazon and the camera now. I'm a little confused as to where this harness is. Is this the main harness that is no longer used and is being solely used to tap into the camera?

Also, where do I pull +12V power from to power the camera? Same harness?
For my setup there was a harness that was not being used, it is the harness the OEM subaru backup camera connects to. The main harness to the deck should be black. Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtsimaras For This Useful Post:
jimmillion (09-09-2015), rip curl (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #22
rip curl

Quote:
For my setup there was a harness that was not being used, it is the harness the OEM subaru backup camera connects to. The main harness to the deck should be black. Hope this helps.
So can I tap +12V from that harness as well?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:44 PM   #23
jtsimaras

Quote:
So can I tap +12V from that harness as well?
Yes I can't recall which one was the +12 v acc wire. Do you have a tester? Wire to the one that is alive when car is on, don't wire to constant power line.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #24
rip curl

Quote:
Yes I can't recall which one was the +12 v acc wire. Do you have a tester? Wire to the one that is alive when car is on, don't wire to constant power line.
So I've started to remove the radio and panels to figure out how to wire the camera. I've got a couple of questions...

(1) Do you connect the new adapter and only use the brown connector on it for the camera? Do I need to connect all the stereo connections too or do I keep everything as is and untouched? So the new adapter works in conjunction with the adapter and wiring already there?

(2) The purple wire below connects to the orange/white wire in the connector on the harness, correct?

(3) In the same harness where the orange/white wire is, can I use the red wire to power the camera? Or should I be tapping into another wire for power?

(4) If you used the license plate hole to mount the camera, how did you get the plastic white piece out? Or did you guys just drill a hole through?

Old 09-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #25
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
For the Reverse wire I wired it up to a harness behind stereo that is used for stock back up camera, as indicated in picture it is the orange/white wire.

Saves time having to run to footwell.
Quote:
I'm a little confused as to where this harness is. Is this the main harness that is no longer used and is being solely used to tap into the camera?
Quote:
For my setup there was a harness that was not being used, it is the harness the OEM subaru backup camera connects to. The main harness to the deck should be black.
The factory harness with the reverse gear signal is the large 28-pin one, located in the head unit cavity (see jtsimaras' picture in his post #11). On other BRZ, Scion, and Toyota models, that plugs into a socket on the back of the OEM HU (along with another pair of harnesses for power and speakers).

The 28-pin harness has the wires going to the factory mic and aux jack, plus leads that provide the HU with the reverse gear and vehicle speed signals. It doesn't have anything related to a camera (other than the reverse gear signal).

Note that FR-S models do not have the reverse gear wire pinned there. Some BRZ and 86 models outside North America may also lack that wire. In that case, you would have to tap into the wire in the driver's footwell, as jimmillion (the OP) wrote.

The Canadian-installed AVIC-X9310BT uses its own mic, and its own custom adapter harness for aux and USB, so it does not use the BRZ's 28-pin harness at all -- the 28-pin is left loose behind the AVIC (actually, I hope the installers tied or taped it down).

The harness with the black plug that jtsimaras referred to is the power/speaker harness for the AVIC. The other end of that goes to 10- and 6-pin connectors to fit the BRZ's factory power/speaker harnesses.

In later model years that have a factory camera, there will also be a separate 16-pin harness with the wires from the camera. I would think that if Subaru Canada continues offering a package with the AVIC-X9310BT in a car with an OEM camera, they would include an adapter harness that connects from the car's 16-pin to the camera input on the AVIC's 24-pin. This adapter would also have to grab power from somewhere else to provide to the OEM camera.

The factory 16-pin also has a lead with the car's parking brake signal. So actually, in earlier years without an OEM camera you should find that the AVIC adapter harness already includes a leg with a 16-pin connector to grab the car's parking brake signal.

Could any of you post some better pictures of all of those harnesses that Subaru Canada installs with the AVIC, stretched out and untangled so we can get a better idea of how they're configured?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #26
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
(1) Do you connect the new adapter and only use the brown connector on it for the camera? Do I need to connect all the stereo connections too or do I keep everything as is and untouched? So the new adapter works in conjunction with the adapter and wiring already there?
On the new AVIC 24-pin RCA harness (that you order on Amazon or eBay), you only need to use the brown rear camera RCA jack.

All of the other RCA jacks are available if you want to use any of them, but that is optional. To see details about all of those other RCA jacks, you can go to Pioneer's site and download the AVIC-X930 installation manual PDF.

Be sure to insulate the end of the Pioneer's yellow/black "mute" wire.

Quote:
(2) The purple wire below [on the AVIC-to-BRZ power/speaker adapter harness] connects to the orange/white wire in the connector on the [28-pin] harness, correct?
Correct -- Connect the AVIC purple (actually shown as violet with white stripe in Pioneer's docs) to the orange/white reverse gear lead on car's 28-pin aux/mic harness.

Quote:
(3) In the same harness where the orange/white wire is, can I use the red wire to power the camera? Or should I be tapping into another wire for power?
No. The other wires on the car's 28-pin are for mic and aux, and are dead in your case.

Here are your options to power your camera:

A) From that same orange/white reverse gear signal lead (so camera will only be powered when you shift into reverse). For an alternative to splicing into the factory wire, see this post (ignore where I talk about connecting to wires on the CA-Fi Dashlinq HU).

B) From +12V Accessory power. This will allow you to view the camera at times even when you're not in reverse. Note that some cheap Chinese cameras have a voltage converter that gets extremely hot if left powered for more than a brief time.

Where can you get +12V ACC power?

A) Tap into the red wire on the AVIC-to-BRZ power/speaker adapter harness (the same harness that has the previously-unused violet/white wire).

B) From the BRZ's "Option Connector" harness. This is a separate, unused, 6-pin harness behind the HU:

(click to see larger image)
That plug is very similar to the 6-pin half of the car's power/speaker harnesses. To connect to that, you can easily modify half of a car stereo installation harness (Metra 70-1761, Scosche TA02B, or equivalent).
Old 01-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #27
V9pal95

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
so I used this guide and wired up my camera, it works but only when I start the car and put it into reverse. if I press home/mode, and I try to put it in reverse again, the camera won't turn on. any suggestions on how to fix that? great write up btw!
V9pal95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #28
z2two

Drives: Frs
great write up, i'm going to try this out on the weekend after my harness arrives

edit: installed and everything works great

Last edited by z2two; 07-03-2016 at 04:56 PM.
z2two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avic, camera, purple, rear, x9310bt