follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #505
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc@ptuning View Post
We have the cam timing maps available for the ptuning header customers that have purchased the header from us. See details in link below:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=258

MrC
What do you do for people like me that purchased your header on this forum's classified section? I've exchanged e-mail messages with PTUNING in the past regarding my purchase, and I don't see why I'd be left without support just because I didn't originally purchase it directly from you. If push comes to shove, I'd be willing to pay a small fee to have the information, as it seems critical to getting the most out of the header. Alternatively, you could direct me to a tuner can e-tune that already has access to the maps.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #506
BillY2KFRC

Drives: 2003 Corvette Z06, ECS Dry Sump 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s30series View Post
ptuning headers, hks front pipe, and perrin catback sounds amazing on the street and beautiful on the track
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
I highly recommend the HKS twin pipe. Made a big difference in the quality of the sound in my car. Still loud but not obnoxious . Much cleaner sound with Skunk header anyway.
Thank you both! It sounds like having a resonator in the front pipe is really the trick for the drone. I drove my car a bunch yesterday and it isn't THAT loud like it seemed on day one, but still more drone than I would like. Funny thing is my fiance doesn't mind it said not to rush buying the new front pipe. lol

I'd like to keep a cat, so it seems the JDL Ultra-Quiet front pipe and Magnaflow catted/resonated front pipe are the two options. Any others I may have missed?

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - WRB, 6MT, PTuning Header, Motriv OP & FP, Perrin Res. Catback, Toms Tail Lights, Sprint Springs, Rays 57DR Wheels, 186rwhp
BillY2KFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #507
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
We have the cam timing maps available for the ptuning header customers that have purchased the header from us. See details in link below:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=258

MrC
When it comes to tuning - I know nothing. With that said, I apologize for this next question as I'm sure this is obvious to most.

With cam timing involved, I'm assuming it's being advanced slightly, how does that affect the engine long term?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #508
Mrc@ptuning

Drives: S1000RR
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
What do you do for people like me that purchased your header on this forum's classified section? I've exchanged e-mail messages with PTUNING in the past regarding my purchase, and I don't see why I'd be left without support just because I didn't originally purchase it directly from you. If push comes to shove, I'd be willing to pay a small fee to have the information, as it seems critical to getting the most out of the header. Alternatively, you could direct me to a tuner can e-tune that already has access to the maps.
We offer etunes with the ecutek. You can give us a call and talk to Ken our tuning sales/support regarding the timing map or talk with our tuner Toan if you're ready to go forth with an etune for your setup since he's the one that has developed and optimized the map over the past year or so with our header. Call us toll-free 1-877-PTUNING.

MrC
Mrc@ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrc@ptuning For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #509
Mrc@ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosoku View Post
When it comes to tuning - I know nothing. With that said, I apologize for this next question as I'm sure this is obvious to most.

With cam timing involved, I'm assuming it's being advanced slightly, how does that affect the engine long term?

If tuned properly it should not affect the long term reliability of the motor. Keep in mind we have customers running 300-400whp on the stock engine with out turbo kit on the track, some of these motors have been boosted for over 30K miles.

The cam timing is advanced/retard depending on rpm & load and also timing and afr has to also be optimized along with the cam timing for both the intake and exhaust cam for those various rpm/load. It's a very involved process and one that should be done by a knowledgeable and seasoned tuner that's familiar with the Fa20 motor. Just playing around with the AFR and timing on the FA20 motor is not going to get you near the 200whp mark on the FA20 NA.

MrC
Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #510
Ken@PTuning

Drives: '92 Nissan 240sx KA-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Ken@PTuning
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
I don't see why we couldn't help you out! All you have to do is ask.
Ken@PTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken@PTuning For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #511
Ken@PTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post
Had my PTuning EL header installed and tuned yesterday at EFI Logics in Bethel, CT. At the same time I also had a Perrin Inlet Tube, Motiv HFC front pipe, Motiv over pipe and Perrin resonated cat back installed. My only existing engine "mod" was a K&N drop in filter.

Baseline dyno was 177rwhp and 142rwtq. According to EFI this was extremely high. Most stock 86's dyno around 160-170. Not sure if there was some other variable or my car was just quite strong stock, but that's what it made.

After the installing all the parts and EcuTek tuning it made 186rwhp and 150rwtq. Just looking at the before and after dyno numbers is very disappointing, I was definitely hoping for more than a 9hp gain. Very little gain and some noise for over $3,500 in parts and labor can be disheartening. That said, I think the baseline may have read higher than it should. It was a VERY wet, hot and humid day, so even with correction applied, I'm sure that could have some effect on dyno results. Also, their Mustang dyno does read on the low side. Another 86 with a JDL UEL header (not sure of the other supporting mods) made 184rwhp on their dyno, so from that perspective the PTuning header is making some serious power and more than other less expensive headers would have. But I said I would post the facts and let them tell the story, so here they are and interpret them as you will.

Here is the dyno sheet:

And a picture of my BRZ on the dyno:

And a video of a dyno pull:

The weather wasn't great and I had a lot traffic on the drive home, so I can't really comment in-depth about how the car drives. It does feel quicker throughout the rev range, not "this is a whole new car" quicker, but noticeable for sure. After I've had some more time to enjoy it on clear roads and really run it to 7400rpm in gears 1-4 I'll provide a better review.

The quality of the header itself (and all the other parts) was very high. EFI said everything fit together perfectly and was easy to install. So kudos to PTuing for building a high quality part.

If I have a complaint, it would that the car is louder than I was expecting. It drones quite a bit on the inside. I was hoping with the resonated Perrin and HFC front pipe it would quiet inside, but that is not the case. My fiance also drives this car to work 2-3 days a week and I don't think she will really enjoy it much anymore. I plan to drive it for a bit and see if I get used to it, maybe it was just something I wasn't prepared for. If it still bothers us in a couple of weeks, I'll have to look at options to quiet it down. From doing some research on here last night it seems a resonator in the front pipe does wonders to quiet cabin noise and drone. I'm thinking the JDL Ultra-Quiet front pipe may be the best option. But I'm open to opinions from anyone here, just remember I need something with a high flow cat and a resonator. Thank you!

My last comment would be to thank both EFI Logics and PTuning for the great customer service they both provided through this. I've used EFI before and they are always awesome guys who are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with. For anybody in the area, I cannot recommend them highly enough. The same can be said for PTuning, during the whole process their e-mail communication was outstanding and they always answered any questions I had quickly and in a polite manor.

Your baseline looks correct. We make about the same 175whp on our baselines. Just looking over the dyno chart, what jumps out at me is that the torque wasn't pulled up before the dip like we'd expect. Second, the midrange seems about right but you see power start to taper off slowly as it reaches 7000rpm. From our dynos, we expect the dyno chart to look more like a pyramid. Power is tapering off 500rpm sooner which is preventing you from seeing peak numbers in the 190-200 range. Was your tuner running our cam timing map?
kanundrum (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #512
Mrc@ptuning

In case anyone is interested in purchasing our race-header, you might want to take advantage of the 1-week only special we are offering on your header. See link below:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91294

MrC
kanundrum (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #513
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
do you have a video or sound clip?
PTuning headers, Motiv over pipe, HKS front pipe (dual resonated), Perrin resonated cat-back

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJB2sM25jck"]3/22/2015 Atlanta Motorsports Park with iTrack - BRZ in the rain - YouTube[/ame]
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
kosoku (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #514
kosoku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s30series View Post
PTuning headers, Motiv over pipe, HKS front pipe (dual resonated), Perrin resonated cat-back

Doesn't seem too loud with your setup. Is it neighbor friendly,?
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #515
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you're not happy with your results and willing to make a drive to DC metro, please call us to schedule a dyno tuning or etuning session with our tuner Toan @ 1-877-PTUNING. We've dyno tuned enough 86 to know what works and what doesn't on the 86 platform, NA and forced induction. The power gains are in the cam timing with the 86.

Unless your car has some mechanical issues such as the TSB for the cam sensor or an issue with your cam gear phasing, there's no reason why you shouldn't achieve close to the 195-200+ whp mark with a solid tune.

MrC
How can you tell from the logs that the cam phasing is off?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #516
kosoku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
Since we're not huge fans of ceramic coating, we'll likely leave the ceramic coating option up to the customer. However, we would have no problems shipping the header directly to the customer's ceramic coating company of choice.

We'll likely offer an optional stainless steel puzzle piece header heat shield system later on down the road.

- Toan
Why are you not a big fan of ceramic coating?
Old 07-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #517
Ken@PTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
How can you tell from the logs that the cam phasing is off?
We're able to see the commanded and the actual cam angle.
Mrc@ptuning (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #518
Mrc@ptuning

Quote:
Why are you not a big fan of ceramic coating?

Some ceramic coating can flake off under extreme heat/cool cycle, especially in racing conditions. Also if the material that is being coated ever cracks, it's very difficult to repair/weld properly without removing the coating to bare metal inside and out.

MrC
kosoku (07-10-2015)

Tags
200hp na, 4-1 full, merge collector, ptuning, race header