follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #15
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstfnv View Post
I guess they are super busy. Also could be email issues. I had similar situation couple weeks ago and according to Shiv my emails were going to his Trash folder for some reason and he did not see them. My advice is to call them or email at sales@openflashperformance.com
That just sounds like an excuse as to why you weren't helped right away.

The OpenFlash guys also suddenly stopped email communication with me about my tablet not logging something correctly. After they told me to update the software and template files, I emailed them back saying that I already had done both of those and wanted to know if there was anything else they could do for me, I never got a response back
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
sstfnv

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
That just sounds like an excuse as to why you weren't helped right away.

The OpenFlash guys also suddenly stopped email communication with me about my tablet not logging something correctly. After they told me to update the software and template files, I emailed them back saying that I already had done both of those and wanted to know if there was anything else they could do for me, I never got a response back

It is entirely possible. I finally gave up because of the slow (or lack of) communication this week and got my car EcuTek tuned even though my OFT tune was very close to being perfect just didn't meet my deadline and I gave them more than enough time.

OFT is a great product and Shiv is a great guy but their team is way too small to support such a large customer base and multiple platforms.
sstfnv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sstfnv For This Useful Post:
P5yk0t1c (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #17
P5yk0t1c

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post
Ehhhhnt, Wrong answer. Yes these guys are busy, but in my experience their response was phenomenal. The instructions on video are what they need to be. It's even quicker today than when I came on board. There are many threads devoted to the Open Source ideology of the OFT, by all means, feel free to do some research. Yes, they may be very busy processing the requests of other customers.

I am paying for the custom "E-tuning"....not how to use the OFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf
Have you tried calling them? I mean even one time?

Yes, I have called them 3 times.
P5yk0t1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #18
IBill4You
Banned

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Garage
I just wanted to chime in that Visconti Tuning, John, is a hard working and pleasant to work with tuner. This experience is from 2 days ago btw. Ecutek is the way to go. An actual dyno tune will always be better than a remote tune. I would recommend a dyno tune by John Visconti any day, and after working with him for parts, remote tuning, dyno tuning, and answering all my stupid questions he'll be the only individual tuning my car.
IBill4You is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IBill4You For This Useful Post:
themajesticone (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #19
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBill4You View Post
I just wanted to chime in that Visconti Tuning, John, is a hard working and pleasant to work with tuner. This experience is from 2 days ago btw. Ecutek is the way to go. An actual dyno tune will always be better than a remote tune. I would recommend a dyno tune by John Visconti any day, and after working with him for parts, remote tuning, dyno tuning, and answering all my stupid questions he'll be the only individual tuning my car.
Make sure you wear your fire suit...

Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
It amazes me how many people on the SBD facebook group are obsessed with John Visconti...
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
tyrantcf (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #21
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5yk0t1c View Post
Yes, I have called them 3 times.
If that's the case I hope you get your money back and move on.

I know if that was me I'd be upset and looking for an alternative.

That said, I own the OFT and have always thought shiv a stand-up guy. I think what was previously mentioned here is accurate, the team is simply too small to handle all the increased business.
P5yk0t1c (06-25-2015), raven1231 (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #22
raven1231

That about sums it up. They are great people and do amazing work, but this platform is no longer a priority for them. It is what it is.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I thought the visconti deal was an installation error on a flex fuel kit that was not installed by their shop?

On a side note, I've been waiting for launch control and FFS for the D00C rom for months now. Something I was looking forward to when buying the OFT that was suppose to be a feature. What did it cost you to make the switch to ecutek?
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #24
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
I thought the visconti deal was an installation error on a flex fuel kit that was not installed by their shop?

On a side note, I've been waiting for launch control and FFS for the D00C rom for months now. Something I was looking forward to when buying the OFT that was suppose to be a feature. What did it cost you to make the switch to ecutek?
The visconti issue was far from an isolated incident and went across several platforms. Some of it was their flex fuel kits catching cars on fire, and others were engines blowing up from shitty tunes.
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
cameronjones239 (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #25
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5yk0t1c View Post
I purchased the E-tuning service on May 26th, since then I have not received any instruction. I sent them my first log on June 6th which I am assuming has been lost as I have not heard anything from anyone. I asked them a question in earlier an correspondence that if they were too busy to take care of my e-tune that there would be no hard feelings and I would be able to find another tuner to help me (just refund me and no hard feelings). They reassured me that I would be taken care of and that they were all caught up with other projects/e-tunes.

Nothing....

If they can't handle the amount of work that they have, they should take down the “e-tuning service” from their website. At least tell me before I order it that it will be 2-3 months before they can get to me. A lot of people on these forums were telling me to not get it done as the OFT guys are very unreliable, so I asked them lots of question before I ordered. I sent an email to them and they said it would take a week max to get started. All they are doing is confirming their bad reputation on all the forums.

I have since asked them to please process my refund multiple times. They are now ignoring any correspondence I send, which shows how professional they are. Thankfully I paid through PayPal but now I have to go through the resolution center.

OFT is a great purchase, just beware of these guys if you need any kind of customer service.

@shiv@openflash
@rombinhood@openflash
Sorry for the lack of communication. However, I have not gotten any emails from you directly. Perhaps it has something to do with the email addresses you are sending message to. My email address is shiv@openflashperformance.com, not shiv@openflash. Also, there is no rombinhood@openflash email address. While it is true that we do sometimes get backlogged with e-tuning work, we certainly don't make it a habit of ignoring any customer.

If you can email me (shiv@openflashperformance.com), I will get things sorted out today. Again, our apologies.

Regards,
Shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Bader (06-25-2015), D_Thissen (06-25-2015), Turdinator (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #26
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Yeah, heard this on a few of the forums. It sucks, however, it does make sense in a way. While platforms are new they have a lot of things to develop but once those are developed the R&D becomes stagnant. At this point they seem to rely on just the sales of the OFT's, and a few products, and then move to the next platform.
With the exception of Subaru WRX/EVO business from 10+ years ago, we still support every model we ever developed parts for. I think many people mistake no longer being super active on a forum as not supporting the market. In this case, we have been so busy with OFT350, Abarth and ESC controller development that I simply don't have enough time to actively monitor forums. But we do our best to be available by phone/email to all customers. Some things do fall through the cracks from time to time but we do what we can to solve issues if they were to arise.

Regards,
shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Bader (06-25-2015), DAEMANO (06-25-2015), D_Thissen (06-25-2015), Koa (06-25-2015), raven1231 (06-25-2015), tyrantcf (06-25-2015), YMAA (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #27
IBill4You
Banned

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
The visconti issue was far from an isolated incident and went across several platforms. Some of it was their flex fuel kits catching cars on fire, and others were engines blowing up from shitty tunes.

You can make unsubstantiated claims about events that happened years ago or bandwagon on jokes about a car catching on fire as long as you're comfortable making decisions for your car (and leading others to do so as well) based on anecdote and group think and are content to assume that nobody has ever gained any appreciable amount of knowledge or business savvy over a 2 year period of their lives. It is inconceivable that one would still be in business after 2 years of this kind of behavior. It's pretty surprising that JV didn't turn his back on this platform with the socioeconomic status a of the average 86 owner on the East Coast...
I'm actually not obsessed with Visconti Tuning. I was pretty hesitant and ended up with a V-tune without my permission or knowledge because I originally had a remote tune from a large and reputable tuning vendor from this site that had resulted in severe knock, check engine lights, and left me stranded on the highway while travelling for work. John Visconti had to fix my car and had it running 10 times better with a hybrid MAF/speed density tune that accommodated boost creeping from 10-13psi with just a couple revisions.
I cannot name the vendor because of a verbal agreement that resulted in a refund, but if you search my post history you can find an obviously jacked up log that I had posted. I recently had my wastegate ported and wanted to turn up the boost to 12 psi now that there would be no boost creep, and withing 48 hours John Visconti added me to an already packed schedule of dyno tuning that resulted in him tuning the car after mine until after 3 am the next morning.
Prior to this dyno tuning session I used to think that tuning was really overpriced, but about 30 revisions (20 dyno, 10 street) later I couldn't believe how much work in 104*F weather was actually done for so little money.
Idc who does your E-tune and idc if you only paid $20.00. You aren't tuned until you have a dyno tune.

I respect that you've been around this forum and platform much longer than I have, but I have had vastly different first hand experience than you are describing, and I think it is important for the other members here to have more than just the "popular" opinions that were formed and solidified years ago.

Is the SBD group full of a lot of new guys to the game that have no idea what is going on and post a lot? Yes. Does that mean you can attribute those qualities to all or even a slight majority of owners running the SBD kit? Well I guess that depends on your personality and moral integrity. It might be possible that the people whom you say are obsessed with Visconti are just happy customers. It's so crazy I know. I have found quite a bit more meaningful discussion on the FB group than on this site with regards to installing your own FI kit. Probably because of the general discontent projected towards the SBD kit.
You guys need to give these smaller vendors some breathing room, because they are the ones providing you with inexpensive innovation.
IBill4You is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IBill4You For This Useful Post:
Koa (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #28
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S

2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-25-2015)