follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Mx5racer

Drives: 97 Miata / 15 BRZ limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I went test driving yesterday and drove both the BRZ and FRS
The BRZ shifted much smoother. Do the dealers adjust the clutch pedals in delivery?
Maybe one dealer is doing a better job of setup and adjustments will make it easier

Last edited by Mx5racer; 06-24-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Mx5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Look up a local sports car club and see if they have class days for autocross. Not only might you learn how to shift, but also how to drive the car. And what it's/your limits are. Then actually compete in 2 or 3 events. Even if you don't want to race you will learn lessons that might save your arse on the street.
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #17
ajaxthebetter

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ LTD 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I doubt KellieRahne is under such hard deceleration (and high rpm) when approaching a stop sign that downshifting and slipping the clutch causes the rears to lock up. If it did happen often, then they likely would not do it again. Literally almost never happens in normal rpms and steady driving, especially in second gear.

If slipping clutch to slow down when coming to a steady stop is dangerous then letting off the gas to decelerate is as well.

As Humfrz said, the engine likes to get up and run. Shifting seems easier the higher the rpms climb. Once you wind it out a few times, you'll sacrifice the .5 mpg you lose for the fun and feel of driving the car and not just controlling it.
ajaxthebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajaxthebetter For This Useful Post:
DriftinFRS (06-28-2015), Lust (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 AM   #18
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxthebetter View Post
I doubt KellieRahne is under such hard deceleration (and high rpm) when approaching a stop sign that downshifting and slipping the clutch causes the rears to lock up. If it did happen often, then they likely would not do it again. Literally almost never happens in normal rpms and steady driving, especially in second gear.

If slipping clutch to slow down when coming to a steady stop is dangerous then letting off the gas to decelerate is as well.

As Humfrz said, the engine likes to get up and run. Shifting seems easier the higher the rpms climb. Once you wind it out a few times, you'll sacrifice the .5 mpg you lose for the fun and feel of driving the car and not just controlling it.
Yea I realized that it shifts really well between 3-4k but I am getting smoother at shifting in lower RPMs. Lately I've been braking while in whatever gear I was in and clutched in before stopping. I did want to ask exactly when should I press the clutch in? Sometimes I feel I clutch too late as if the car is bogging or lugging. Is there a set time/speed/rpm to clutch in before stopping?
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 AM   #19
bedabi

Drives: '13 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
If it jerks you forward, you are shifting too slow or not giving enough gas.
If it jerks you backwards, you are shifting too fast or giving too much gas.
And where this happens instead of trying to modulate your leg to change the timing of
your clutch release try adjusting your seat base a notch forward or back.

If you are jerking forward place your seat forward a notch or two. You'll release the clutch a bit later.

If jerking backward, move the seat back a notch or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bedabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #20
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,981 Times in 16,483 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust View Post
Yea I realized that it shifts really well between 3-4k but I am getting smoother at shifting in lower RPMs. Lately I've been braking while in whatever gear I was in and clutched in before stopping. I did want to ask exactly when should I press the clutch in? Sometimes I feel I clutch too late as if the car is bogging or lugging. Is there a set time/speed/rpm to clutch in before stopping?
hmmmmm.......it's one of those "automatic" things most of us do.

When you are winding down, I'd suggest you push the clutch in before the engine has a chance to "bog" ..... like around 1500 rpms.

I'll have to notice tomorrow about the 1500 rpm point .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 AM   #21
Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedabi View Post
And where this happens instead of trying to modulate your leg to change the timing of
your clutch release try adjusting your seat base a notch forward or back.

If you are jerking forward place your seat forward a notch or two. You'll release the clutch a bit later.

If jerking backward, move the seat back a notch or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm constantly changing my seating position... I can't find one that's comfortable or one that feels right
Old 06-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #22
jonesbt11

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm right there with you, I just got my 2015 FRS MT and drove it across country....learning manual the whole way. My shifts are still a bit rough under 3rd, but I find the transitions above that to be fairly smooth shifting at 3000+ RPM. I ended up just listening to the engine more without the radio on to get a better feel for it. Now the lower gears.....I'm awful at, plain and simple (but progress is evident, however small it may be ;P). The answers on here from everyone are very helpful though, so thankyou!

TL : DR - New to the car/manual as well, same questions, thank you all for the helpful answers!
jonesbt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #23
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nl View Post
Well then why don't you say anything about your brakes? You are giving suggestions to someone, and as your advice reads, it's flat out dangerous. I've seen plenty of people do that without brakes.

If your brake lights come on when you do this, have at it - you aren't hurting anyone. If you do this without your brakes.... well, everyone around you is going to care - a lot.

If you get rear-ended because you locked up your wheels with no brake lights, you are going to be significantly at fault... The person rear ending you won't get off, but you won't either.

And I couldn't be further from a cop... unless software engineers suddenly got a piece of that monopoly on violence and I'm just missing out... Where did you get VA from? I'm from WI...it says so right in the box next to my name.
You're over-reacting a little too much. Yes .... people shouldn't use their gears to slow down ABRUPTLY. I downshift sometimes just to slow down .... although it is easier just to coast in gear. Seriously .... if a person downshifted ABRUPTLY and you get rear-ended .... that person was following TOO closely.

Therefore .... it is acceptable to downshift and use the gears to slow down (i.e long downhill road), but maybe not in heavy traffic.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #24
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
You're over-reacting a little too much. Yes .... people shouldn't use their gears to slow down ABRUPTLY. I downshift sometimes just to slow down .... although it is easier just to coast in gear. Seriously .... if a person downshifted ABRUPTLY and you get rear-ended .... that person was following TOO closely.

Therefore .... it is acceptable to downshift and use the gears to slow down (i.e long downhill road), but maybe not in heavy traffic.
Maybe re-read the post I responded to and what I wrote - I specifically said I wasn't talking about simple downshifting and using your engine as a brake - which is totally normal.

What is being described is putting your transmission 3, 4 gears down and letting out the clutch slowly and only partially. Basically, using your clutch as an a 5th brake...

Besides being terrible for your clutch, this is also extremely hard on your synchros since you are going out of the gear's intended speed, and if you mess up and let out the clutch too far too fast, you can lock the wheels and over-rev.

I said if you lock your wheels and your brake lights aren't on, that is reckless. Do you disagree with that?

This is a thread about suggestions for driving a manual and that is a horrid suggestion... If it works for someone, that's great, but as a general driving suggestion to someone new to MT?
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Garage
We were all there once...or twice!

Quote:
I'm constantly changing my seating position... I can't find one that's comfortable or one that feels right
Everyone who drives a manual today can empathize with what you are going through. The initial answers you got to your questions are as honest as they get and great advice. As for seat adjustment, I've found that an ideal seat position will allow you to have about 15-20 degrees of knee flexion when the clutch is fully depressed. Meaning your knee is not completely locked out when you 'clutch in' all the way. Allowing your knee to have some flexion (bending) will give you more muscle control while clutching and keep you from catching a charlie horse while waiting to shift on a giant hill!

My '13 M/T FRS is the first M/T car I've ever owned, however not the first I've ever driven. My husband (brave boyfriend/fiance then) taught me how to drive a M/T car in his '05 tC back in 2008. I will have to say, if these cars were flipped, I would be 2x frustrated trying to learn how to drive M/T in the FRS. The tC clutch and transmission overall is very forgiving, thus allowing a learner to gain confidence a bit faster. On the other hand, the FRS clutch/transmission is more advanced than the tC in my opinion, thus requiring a bit more precise execution while clutching/shifting.

In the first 6 months of owning and driving my FRS, I never turned on the radio and rode with the windows down 95% of the time. This gives you a chance to listen to the engine while you are shifting and allows you to concentrate your other senses, i.e. left leg, to feel for when to shift. Do not be discouraged, as practicing in this car is so rewarding...because RACECAR. Try to consistently execute the basics correctly, i.e. up shifting at a comfortable RPM, downshifting without killing your clutch, then you can move on to more advanced techniques like shifting at lower/close to redline rpms and rev matching when downshifting. If you can have an experienced M/T driver ride along with you, the feedback they give you could help you get a feel for the car faster as I especially am grateful to my husband for all the hours he braved to teach me what I know today.

Be calm and don't be so hard on yourself during this learning phase of owning not only a M/T car but a M/T FRS. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and you'll be rev matching, heel toeing, and grinning from ear to ear before you know it!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 AM   #26
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,217 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The twins have a radio? Well, I'll be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (06-26-2015), Ultramaroon (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #27
Lust

Another similar question came about. When coasting in gear to come to a full stop, when clutching, do you guys release the clutch or keep the clutch in while stopped then put the shifter in first. Or do some people coast in gear, clutch in when getting close to the stop then putting it on neutral?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #28
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,981 Times in 16,483 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Another similar question came about. When coasting in gear to come to a full stop, when clutching, do you guys release the clutch or keep the clutch in while stopped then put the shifter in first. Or do some people coast in gear, clutch in when getting close to the stop then putting it on neutral?
Well now, that question is confusing ....at least to this ol boy.

When slowing down, I leave the car in gear until the rpms drop into "lugging range" (1000 - 1500 rpms), then I push the clutch in and take it out of gear.

One should usually push the clutch in, if your going to take the car out of a gear.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote