follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #1
cesar9127

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fr-s/Brz Red Taillight tint *GLOSSY* finish! DIY

Hello guys,
This is my first forum post, so please try not to scald me on it, thought id make this to help/give confidence to the people that want to tint their ugly chrome taillights red.

So starting off with what I used
1) VHT Niteshades red tint (Picked up at local O'reilly auto store)
2) 2000 grit sandpaper wet sandable
3) Meguiars Ultimate Rubbing compound
4) Microfiber cloths
5) Blue painters tape
6) Rubbing alcohol w/ napkins
7) Flathead screwdriver
8) 8mm Socket with 1/4 ratchet

Now getting to the removing of the taillights themselves

On the sides of the interior in the trunk you'll see this plastic retainer clip on each side, I used my flathead to get in there and remove them.

Now go ahead and gently tug that guy away from the back of the taillight and this is what you'll see. Now on the white plastic piece that holds the cable onto the back of the screw, you can use your hand and wiggle as you pull or get your flathead in there and pry it away just be careful not to damage a thread. Then remove 4 8mm nuts on each taillight and the taillight will pull right off be careful not to tear the gasket behind. Then remove the connector.

After removing the taillights i used my water hose to rinse them off since they were a little dirty then dried them up to make sure they were clean. Here is where you want to get a bucket with clean water and your 2000 grit sandpaper and soak the paper. You want to get a nice sand everywhere not too gentle but not to harsh. I rinsed them off and dried them again to see if i left any clean spots which i did so i went back over those with the wet sandpaper again then rinsed and dried. After doing both lights this is what i got, a hazy dull looking taillight.

Now you want to tape them, first i used a 1 inch 3m painters tape to tape around the edges nice and cleanly. Then I finished taping off the rest with i think its 2 inch painters tape and newspaper, doesn't matter as long as you tape and cover everything off except the lens.

Now that the lights are prepared for painting we need one more important step, which is cleaning them with some rubbing alcohol and i used a napkin to wipe them down.

After i set up my little painting station with some cardboard. You want to set up the lights so that you can get the paint all around so I tried my best to position them and i also moved them around while painting which is dangerous because you can drop the light or touch something while the paint hasn't dried. Shake up your can for a good minute and spray the first coat which i did a pretty light one.

Let that dry for 10 minutes, then on to coat 2. Did this coat a little heavier than the first one.

Let that dry for another 10 minutes and for my third and last coat I repositioned the taillights.

After the 3rd coat i let them dry for 10 more minutes before i inspected them and their were a couple hard to reach areas that i had to go back and spray a little. After 3 coats on each taillight this was my result.

As you can see they are already shiny and look pretty darn good. But this last step is what really gives it that shine.

You can let them dry for an hour before this step, personally I let my taillights cure for 24 hours then proceeded.

You want to get your bucket of water again with a new sheet of sandpaper, soak the sandpaper and wet sand the lights VERY gently going in the same direction with each stroke. I sanded very gently because what you're doing is removing some of the new paint, this will give it that nice even smooth finish.

After the wetsand rinse them off one last time and dry them up. Now you get your Meguairs rubbing compound on a clean pad and buff, then wipe it. I had to give my taillights about 3 buffs (by hand) to give them that nice glossy look. You can get away without wet sanding after the paint has dried. Just let it cure and buff them with some compound. It'll be almost the same look. And thats about it, install them the way you took them off in reverse order and enjoy!!

cesar9127 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cesar9127 For This Useful Post:
Bobblehead (06-15-2015), cdo221 (06-15-2015), Lonewolf (06-15-2015), raven1231 (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Looks good!
Can you take a close up pic to show how glossy it is?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Without a UV stabilized clear they are going to turn orange. I would recommend you get a can of SprayMax 2K clear and go over them.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
as toast above me said. YOu are really going to want to clear them. VHT Nightshade on its own will not hold up to the elements well.

I did this on my old FRS, need to do it to my 10 series. I honestly much prefer the look of a nice deep red stock tail to just about every other aftermarket tail light. I did not think I would until I did it and saw it in person.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Very nice writeup! Its amazing what a wetsand and polish will do.

I agree with the guys above, you really need to clear coat them if you want them to stay nice. I clear coated mine, let them sit to dry for a day and then wet sand and polished them. I've gotten many compliments on them.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
KungFuWaffle

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
With wetsand and polish it makes it look OEM!
Attached Images

KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Also don't be stingy with the clear coat. Do 2-3 light coats and let them dry for a few hours. Then do thicker coats allowing to dry for a half an hour in between. No such thing as to much clear. Plus with a good wet sand and polish it has amazing depth to them.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I say, successful first post.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, fr-s, red, taillight, tint