follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #43
MaudDib

Drives: White, Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
If all the used ones in your area are priced the same with the same mileage, then why the F are you even considering the filthy one with the engine grime and pet hair and questionable mods from a questionable dealer. You obviously have options, find a better one
I asked because I didn't know what I was looking at. I was suspicious but I thought it was worth getting more info before I just dismissed out right. Plus it is the only red one in my town, others are 100+ miles away.
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #44
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudDib View Post
I asked because I didn't know what I was looking at. I was suspicious but I thought it was worth getting more info before I just dismissed out right. Plus it is the only red one in my town, others are 100+ miles away.
Fair enough, but the animal hair would have done it for me before I even looked under the hood. Waiting is always an option, so is a road trip. It's worth a little inconvenience to be satisfied with your purchase. New "for sale" ads pop up all the time.

I was heart broken the morning I was supposed to head out to pick up my base BRZ with tinted windows from Houston and they told me it sold the night before. I ended up with a Limited BRZ the same color with tinted windows and clear bra for the same price, and it was 20 minutes away.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #45
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
i'm with everyone else, this car has to many red flags to pay any more than 15-16k for it. for one you don't know how its been modified or if its been tuned, and if it has, who's tuned it. the dealership is clearly not a professional one where they'll let you see the car before its been fully detailed.

look for a stock one or if you want one modified, buy from a private seller so you can know the history of the car before you buy it.
Koa (04-17-2015), Packofcrows (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #46
AustinG

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S, '95 240SX Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So what gives, does Scion actually negotiate even when they say they don't?

Yeah, I got my dealership to knock off $2500 off sticker on my 2015, plus throw in tint and Borla exhaust. You just gotta play a little hard-ball with them.
AustinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #47
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
IMHO

Look for one that hasn't had the owner tweak it.

I bought a Nissan truck for my father last year and the original owner never did anything himself, thus, when the truck had a faulty 02? sensor, he sold it to me cheap thinking it had a bad engine!!! ($50 fix or so)

He gave me all the receipts from Nissan dealer, Costco, and other fancy tune-up places. Runs like a dream.

Otherwise, you don't know how the last owner treated it, what he did to it, or even what problems to expect.

Ex:

Bought a '74 240z, last owner had done a wire tuck and CAI...etc etc mods....cost me like $2000 to get it into DD condition. He had Micky Moused the car for track? Is my guess. Sold it a year later.

2001 Celica GT-S, I spent $2300-ish in a new head gasket and other engine internals, plus 2 months sitting in my garage while I worked on it. Passed it on to family member once fixed as High School grad gift. I learned to do damn engine compression tests after this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Yeah, I got my dealership to knock off $2500 off sticker on my 2015, plus throw in tint and Borla exhaust. You just gotta play a little hard-ball with them.

YES! Got mine down a lot ($2500? forgot), plus semi-free perma plate, extended, extended warranty, free car rental, free extra "$600 key"...+ more.

Just tell them you'll call them back if you are interested. Don't let them bastards push you or force you to take a deal. If you lose out bro(s), then it was probably not meant to be. I wanted a 2006 350Z, beautiful white....sold after 3 months of being on lot. But, took me 8 months to find my FR-S just the way I wanted it. It waited for me in the lot.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #48
Lateral G

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow + Perf Package
Quote:
Background: I am looking to buy an FRS but waiting to find the one. Still working on color (thinking firestorm). Recently one is for sale in my area. It looks like someone had done some work on it. Aftermarket exhaust and not sure what else, dealer doesn't know much either.

Attachment 105893

Can someone tell me what I am looking at? This picture (I realize not the best but I took it off the dealerships site) looks different than most of the FRS engines I have looked at.

Also, when the car first came up for sale it was a disaster as in animal hair everywhere. Would you be concerned about buying a car that might have been raced and not necessarily taken care of? Some racers take car of their ride but this one doesn't seem to fit that bill.

Thanks for any insight.
I have bought and sold about 40 or 50 cars in my lifetime. I wouldnt touch the one in this pic with a 10 foot pole; reason #1 and most importantly is that the seller didnt even clean it before taking pics and posting for sale. That indicates that the level of dirt under the hood is normal to him/her. What other things of negative quality are normal to this person? Makes you wonder.
Lateral G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #49
Lateral G

Quote:
Ever any concern that these aren't installed correctly and might be causing problems on the car? I want to be able to do some of the work myself on this so a little worried when there is stuff I don't know what it is.

They want $19,990 with 21,000 miles.
I bought mine with 22k miles for 18k. It took 6 weeks, but patience will pay off. And of course mine wasnt modified. I wouldnt touch a modified one.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #50
Lateral G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Maud, for comparison, I don't allow dirty people into my car, much less animals. I keep a pair of gloves in the glove box in case my hands are dirty and a lightweight jacket in the trunk in case I've been working outside and I'm sweaty or dirty so it doesn't get on the seats. Only bottled drinks, no cans or cups. I keep a dish towel in case I've got something wet and a microfiber towel to clean the windows or dust the stereo. I may go a bit overboard, but my interior is spotless after a year of ownership. Since I spend more time in the car than outside looking at it, it's worth it to me. And I keep the outside as clean as possible.
I thought I was the only one. The spare tire well makes a nice storage area for the light jacket, stolen hotel hand towel, tire pressure gauge, ice scraper.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #51
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral G View Post
I have bought and sold about 40 or 50 cars in my lifetime. I wouldnt touch the one in this pic with a 10 foot pole; reason #1 and most importantly is that the seller didnt even clean it before taking pics and posting for sale. That indicates that the level of dirt under the hood is normal to him/her. What other things of negative quality are normal to this person? Makes you wonder.
It is even worse than that if you read the original post closely! That picture came off the dealer's site. So not only did the owner not care enough to clean it up before they sold/traded it the dealer was willing to post a pic in that condition. If a dealer is willing to post that what else are they prepared to overlook?
MikeM7 (04-17-2015)