follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #2885
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,493 Times in 777 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't see how moving the BRZ to ES would make sense. DS would make a LOT more sense if you're going to leave the FRS w/ TRD items in CS.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #2886
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why? There isn't a single RWD car in DS and ES is all RWD cars. They SAC almost always classes similar cars together in a class. There were a few letters written to move the FR-S/BRZ to ES in the past with the same cars in DS/ES.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #2887
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't think you can say that the BRZ moves down to a different class, most likely ES for similarity, unless the FR-S really becomes an overdog with the TRD mods (doesn't seem like it will). Even if the FRS does become an overdog in CS, you can't just move the BRZ down to make it competitive too; you'll then just have two classes dominated by what are nearly identical cars. More than fair to the BRZ owners, sure, unfair to all of the Miata owners.

My bet is that the TRD mods aren't game changing, although they will likely make the FR-S the more desirable of the two, and thus classing will stay as it is. From the tours so far, it doesn't seem like the RX-8 is having troubles keeping up with the TRD FR-S.

I can empathize with the BRZ owners though, I would not be happy about these FR-S only mods.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #2888
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,493 Times in 777 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Why? There isn't a single RWD car in DS and ES is all RWD cars. They SAC almost always classes similar cars together in a class. There were a few letters written to move the FR-S/BRZ to ES in the past with the same cars in DS/ES.
Fair enough, hadn't thought about that. BRZ would be a huge overdog in ES though.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Rampage (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #2889
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
It's not going to happen, they aren't going to treat the cars as the same. What will happen is one of the following or something else.

D) SAC/SEB decide springs/sways as line item options are a bad precedent and make them illegal, cars remain in CS.

I wrote a letter proposing D) and I've heard it from other people, but it wouldn't just affect the FR-S and probably faces an uphill battle.
The rule is applicable to all makes and models, not just the FR-S. It is not going to go away, it has been there for years, and is defining what a "standard part" is. The SEB isn't going to make something illegal across all makes because one manufacturer made it available. And FWI, my buddy is taking delivery of a car with the springs installed, so yes they can and have been ordered that way. Personally I think it's way less to just buy them and install them.

Unless it becomes a serious overdog in the class it will stay where it is. Look at ES, 1990-95 miata's same body, 94+ have the 1.8 and Torsen, they're in the same class. That year was the car to have. Some cars will be better choices for some classes. Like mentioned earlier, it's not like the BRZ didn't have different springs on it already.

Mark
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #2890
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCRX View Post
It works the other way too. The FRS cant add a front splitter/lip (not quite the same performance adder, but a good cone protector). I imagine eventually these cars will all be blended into one.
Please explain. Does that mean CS BRZ can install the STi front lip?
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #2891
markw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRichZC6 View Post
If it falls under the definition of a "standard part" which is chapter 12 of the rulebook on page 67 for the 2015 rulebook.

A standard part is any part or optional part which could be installed during assembly of the vehicle at the factory. "Port installed" items are also considered manufacturer installed.

If the STI Front lip is something you could order from the factory, or a port installed option, then it's legal in class.

It can not be dealer installed, ie, the TRD Intake for the FRS is dealer installed option, so it's not legal.
The Following User Says Thank You to markw For This Useful Post:
AFRichZC6 (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #2892
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRichZC6 View Post
AFAIK, Unless a Series Blue or they trim conversion to Series Blue, they can't.
Would also be model year specific...

Think people are getting ST rules mixed up.

Don't see the spoiler listed as port option for 2015 non-Series Blue models...

Last edited by simpleisbest; 04-16-2015 at 06:03 PM.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
AFRichZC6 (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #2893
ButteR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone with TRD Springs and sways on stock shocks got any autoX feedback? I dunno if I'm ready to pull the trigger on the shocks.

Also, where are you guys buying your shocks at? Tire rack has a 25% sale going on with the Koni shocks but the total comes out to. $1,000+? Thought they were ~$800 at full retail price
ButteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #2894
YawMomentRacing

Drives: 2013 Red 6MT Scion FR-S
I bought mine used but for new dampers I would have gone with Strano Parts.
YouTube Channel
YawMomentRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #2895
coneracer30

Drives: 2013 Fiestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButteR View Post
Anyone with TRD Springs and sways on stock shocks got any autoX feedback? I dunno if I'm ready to pull the trigger on the shocks.

Also, where are you guys buying your shocks at? Tire rack has a 25% sale going on with the Koni shocks but the total comes out to. $1,000+? Thought they were ~$800 at full retail price
Check the website again. I just put all four in my cart and it came to 760ish with free shipping.
coneracer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:27 AM   #2896
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Depends how fresh the stock dampers still are. Once I understood the car I didn't have a problem driving around it (need to be super smooth and patient and tidy with the car in transitions), but historically I've always driven well in spite of my setups so it wasn't unfamiliar territory. I had 29k miles on the stock dampers and they weren't factory fresh, but still decent. The more worn out they are the more problems it's gonna cause you.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #2897
markw

Quote:

I don't know how you're putting them in your cart, but you have a 1 left strut, 1 right strut, and 2 rears. I have them sitting in the cart right now $728 with free shipping to San Diego. Tire rack is quick to ship stuff, like next day if you order in the morning. You should have 1 8741-1560LSPORT, 1 8741-1560RSPORT, and 2 8041-1416SPORT. 207 each for the fronts, and 157 each for the rear.

As for autox feedback, we'll see how it goes this weekend at Qualcomm. I'm in the first run group for Saturdays practice. I would go to Tire Rack or Strano for the shocks.

Car is sitting on Koni's, TRD springs and bars now.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to markw For This Useful Post:
ButteR (04-18-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #2898
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
So I drive an RS 1.0 as a fool around car because my Evo is down and I'm not going to win in BS no matter what I do buuuut recently people have been telling me that there's been a lot of hullaballoo over the TRD springs with regards to non RS models.

Tried reading the past 10 pages of this thread but, frankly, it's just way too much bickering for me to bother with. Can anyone give me a quick summary on what is going on here?

Are 2014 & 2015 FR-S owners allowed to put the TRD springs on their cars and remain in C Street?

If so, is there any word on moving the RS 1.0 to C-Street since it makes 0 sense to have it up in B-Street if there are C-Street FR-S' running the same setup?

I've been considering selling the car and getting something that can actually be competitive but if it's going to move back to C-Street I may keep it. This is kind of a big decision for me so any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote