follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
technoid

Drives: Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front Facing Camera

Looking for input on adding a switch to control a front facing camera.

So I took the BRZ to get the oil changed today, and the tech managed to curb the front bumper when he pulled the car out of the bay and up to the curb. I had a feeling that I was not going to like it, when I walked out and it was millimeters from the curb. Actually had to back up to check if it was scraped.
Luckily the curb was low enough for it not to be visible from normal vantage point. I haven't laid down on the ground to see how bad yet, too disgusted to even look yet, and I have a feeling they would deny it anyways. I will be looking tomorrow to see if it cracked or damaged anything beyond the finish. Otherwise cutting my losses.

Anyway, I'm going to be installing a front facing camera, much in the same way I did the reverse camera. I am an electronics guy, so I think I can figure out a way to make it work.

But where to put the Triggering Button. I plan to install a momentary push button to trigger the video on the Stock Radio. I have a small pushbutton to try and will be testing it before I drill any holes. I am thinking of putting the button in one of three places currently.

Possible Positions
1. To the left of the Steering Wheel, on the right hand side of the switchpanel where the light leveling switch and trunk release is.
2. On the Right hand side of the Steering column, next to the keyswitch blanking plate (I have a Limited with the Push button Start)
3. In the center top of the plate on the console where the Seat Heater switches are located.

What are the thoughts on these locations, or others considered?

When Parking the switch will need to be pressed and held to view the camera on the Radio, so want to keep it accessible but not look too out of place.

I'm also trying to locate it on a plate that could easily be replaced, should I mess up or want to remove later.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
P3tras

Drives: Subaru BRZ '13 WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Other choice would be to get after-market head-unit which supports front camera. Then no extra switches would be needed, although it is more costly solution.
P3tras is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P3tras For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-28-2020)
Old 04-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
technoid

thinking it about that too. that's another reason to want it on a plate that is easily replaceable.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is this a parking assist camera for the front? Seems like it would be useless our cars are tiny and have lots of room when pulling into a parking spaces.

Last edited by brandonblt2; 04-11-2015 at 06:14 PM.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Jrezaf

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Is this a parking assist camera for the front? Seems could useless are cars are tiny and have lots of room when pulling into a parking spaces.
When you have a front lip that scrapes or even BOUNCES OFF seemingly innocuous concrete bumpers, it's not so useless. Those bumpers aren't always built to a specific height, so sometimes you clear by a centimeter, other times you straight bounce off--not a pleasant feeling to have. I've been contemplating getting a front-facing camera for a long time myself.
Jrezaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrezaf For This Useful Post:
sroby (10-30-2019)
Old 04-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrezaf View Post
When you have a front lip that scrapes or even BOUNCES OFF seemingly innocuous concrete bumpers, it's not so useless. Those bumpers aren't always built to a specific height, so sometimes you clear by a centimeter, other times you straight bounce off--not a pleasant feeling to have. I've been contemplating getting a front-facing camera for a long time myself.
I get why you want it but, wouldn't be easier to just not pull in has far when parking
Old 04-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
technoid

I think it would be helpful for parking. FYI I have let three people drive my car and it has been bumped twice, and not by me.

Thus said, I don't like anyone besides me driving it.

I have never touched it, been really close a few times.

Just think it would be a good idea, and for a few minutes time, a 10 dollar camera, a switch, rca splitter, and some wire. Why not. I may have $30 dollars and 30 minutes in installing it.

I already know that the camera and splitter will work, just need to test and connect the trigger to the radio, and mount the camera. From info on ae64 the radio reverse trigger is a +12v, so a momentary NO switch hooked to a switched hot and connected to the camera and radio should do it. But I will probably make a little circuit to isolate the two triggers and a seperate relay for the camera. Just to protect the Head Unit from excess current.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
This is why I always back into spots
Drambeenie (09-09-2018)
Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
technoid

I like to pull in, backing out with the shorter rear end and camera makes for a safer exit from the parking spot IMHO. Like I said, I have it down how far to pull in, but everyone else always pulls in too far.

Wow, the original question was where to put the button, and not a single response to that!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
How about here.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1428928045752.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  46.7 KB
Old 04-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I think it would be helpful for parking. FYI I have let three people drive my car and it has been bumped twice, and not by me.

Just think it would be a good idea, and for a few minutes time, a 10 dollar camera, a switch, rca splitter, and some wire. Why not. I may have $30 dollars and 30 minutes in installing it.

I already know that the camera and splitter will work, just need to test and connect the trigger to the radio, and mount the camera. From info on ae64 the radio reverse trigger is a +12v, so a momentary NO switch hooked to a switched hot and connected to the camera and radio should do it. But I will probably make a little circuit to isolate the two triggers and a seperate relay for the camera. Just to protect the Head Unit from excess current.
Ok that makes sense then because you are not the sole driver. I would personally put the button on the left side next to the leveling and trunk release buttons.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
technoid

No go on the Silver plate, as I have a Snow / Sport selector Switch there.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
BRZerk
Some guy in a white car

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post

bro. you live in pittsburgh. have you even driven on our roads? i wouldn't worry so much about spending the time/money putting in a front facing camera when you can just buy a new bumper cover in few years for probably similar pricing. mine is 3 years old and looks like shit. from steep parking lots and the massive amount of road debris we get as well as shitty pavement. (i may be totally wrong here, i have no idea how much this mod gonna cost you)
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #14
lucas.sidoti

Drives: FT86 - White
Already installed

Hello everyone! I already install my front facing camera this weekend! I could help you in case you have some doubts!

Email me!

lucas.sidoti@gmail.com
lucas.sidoti is offline   Reply With Quote