follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #1947
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is an eyestrain that most are likely to skip - larger font please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoTME View Post
I have never driven neither the new toyobaru (they will arrive in June in Europe) nor the new ’13 GC (I have only test driven the old model) BUT I think that the GC has a great potential: if stock for stock the toyobaru is for sure more fun even is the Gc is faster on straight line with some upgrades it could achieve an high level of performance: its revised turbo engine is capable of about 320whp and 45kgm of torque (with the stock turbo and internals using only bolt ons) together with a proper suspension setup its “grand touring soul” can be washed away. Another problem of the Korean car is the weight: with 1530kg is quite fat (but we do not have to forget that it is a 4.63 m car and 4 adults can seat quite comfortably – I am 1.95 m tall and i could seat in the back seats quite well, the only problem was the roof height, with the toyobaru I have serous doubts to even seat in a decent manner-) but is possible to shave some weight quite easily: changing wheel with lighter ones (also using 18’ Instead of 19’), cf hood, bucket seats, lighter exhaust and battery is possible to shave around 90kg (all the weights are based on actual experience). With these mods the gc would be a totally different animal even though toyobaru would still also be more tactile and light on its feet but without a decent engine I think that it would be impossible to exploit its wonderful chassis. We do not have to forget that changing tires (with stickier ones, I think that everyone will do this especially who want to track its car) and suspension will make this car less funny to drive due to its higher grip that its engine and torque (or the lack of it…) can not overtake. With a turbo would be a totally different stoy though…
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #1948
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
he probably typed that on a blackberry or something
Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #1949
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0 (manual). I had it narrowed down the Genesis, a Mazda Speed3, a BRZ, and was also looking into the upcoming Ford Focus ST. I really wanted to wait to drive the Focus ST and BRZ before making a decision but my 2006 Mazda 3 was going to need some expensive repairs and I did not want to try my luck any longer with the car. Unfortunately it was in an accident in 2010 (not my fault) and has not been the same since, and the insurance company was not willing to fix the car in 2012 from what were lingering issues from an accident 2 years before. It was too bad as I paid cash for the car in 2006 and it has been a rock up until this point. It was a nice little commuter car but I really wanted something with more power.

Finding a BRZ in my area was not going to be easy I found two dealers that were willing to sell them at MSRP, with a fully refundable deposit, but I was going to be 8 or 9th out of the list of 9 allocated cars at one dealer, and 12 out of 12 allocated cars at the other. Some of the other dealers I called that I may have been able to get a car sooner told me they would most likely be marking up over MSRP (no deal). While I would have really liked to have test driven one of these bad boys before deciding, in the end, I did not want to play Russian roulette with my current car as it was looking like a very long wait with the local Subaru dealers on the BRZ. They told me they expected one car a month (so looking at a 6-12 month wait). Which seems ridiculous (and maybe they will get the cars allocated faster, but the sales manager I spoke to said he was told one a month and that I should prepare for that). There was always a chance someone would back out of an allocated car, but I 100% want a manual and am very particular on color, so the wait seemed as though it would be long. In the meantime it makes no sense to dump $2-3K in a car that is worth about $7000-8000K and I want to get rid of.

As for the Genesis Coupe, I really liked the car the minute I drove it. For some background, I have previously owned two RX-7's (one being a turbo), a Mazda 3, a VW Jetta VR6, a VW GTI, a Nissan Altima SE 3.5, and a BMW 325i (other cars too, but those were the fun ones that I would compare to). I did not even have Hyundai on the radar when I started shopping. I was shopping a little bit of everything (coupes, sedans, etc) I test drove a MazdaSpeed 3, Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package, Subaru WRX (non-STI), VW GTI, Chevy Camaro V6, Ford Focus SE, Honda Accord V6 Coupe, etc. I stumbled across a review of the 2013 Genesis Coupe and figured why not. I liked what Hyundai had been doing in recent years and I have several friends and family members buy a Hyundai and they seemed happy with their cars and experience with the brand.

Handling? I thought the Genesis Coupe handled pretty well. Suspension was tight, and the car goes where you point it for the most part. I recently drove a Mini Cooper S, and a Mazda RX8. Those cars will handle better. The Genesis is not a light car, but it is RWD, and it does have a lot of power. There is some turbo lag, but I did not feel it to be extreme, and the car accelerates from a stop very quickly. Motortrend recently clocked 0-60 in 5.7sec with the 2.0 turbo with the manual. I believe it. Stability control is three stage, and you can disable it if you would like. So far, I have not noticed it kicking in too excessively, but I am not tracking this car. It is a daily driver and my commute is not really full of winding roads. But this car will pass on the freeway effortlessly. I love the power in the 60-75mph powerband. It moves. I have had nothing but smiles on my face and have done a little drifting with the car, and it is a blast. The car is pretty easy to maintain control of, but with traction control off, you need to know what you are doing. Because the power is deceiving on this little beast. I can see where people can get theirselves in trouble with the power. I constantly have to watch my speed limit as I routinely find myself going 10mph over the speed limit effortlessly. It is easily the fastest car I have ever owned.

I will say that the manual is not the smoothest I have ever driven. It took me a little time feeling comfortable with quick shifts, and while it is not terrible, it is not a highlight for the car. By comparison, VW GTI, Ford Mustang, and Mazda Speed3, had smoother shifting manuals (with the Ford being the best I think), but the trade-off is FWD vs RWD for the Mazda and VW vs the Hyundai and Ford. And frankly, I was tired of FWD and wanted RWD drive again. I would say the ride of the car is pretty refined overall. I would not say it is too harsh, but it is not too soft either. I was pretty impressed with the way the car felt and handled vs the other cars I drove. I would not say it was a class leader, but it was also pretty solid. It definitely did not feel like I was driving a boat or a truck like some people have insinuated in this thread. Not as raw as a Miata or Mini either, but I actually liked the handling better than the Mustang, and GTI. I thought the Speed3 had some fun handling and user feedback, but it felt more untamed than the Genesis Coupe and you can definitely feel the torque steer on that Mazda Speed3. The Speed3 was a fun car. I would say the most fun of any of the cars I drove, but I was not sold on the FWD, and the interior really turned me off. The steering wheel has gobs of buttons and the interior felt very cheap next to the Genesis Coupe. Since this is a daily driver, I wanted something that I was going to enjoy sitting in for my commute (which is 160-180 miles per week on average, with some additional miles on the weekend).

The Genesis Coupe is certainly not without fault. I know the exterior style is polarizing. You either like it or you don't. I was skeptical from the pictures I saw online, but liked it better in person. It has grown on me even more as I have owned the car, and I have had a number of people stop me and ask me who makes it and compliment the car. I understand some of the criticism. But I give Hyundai some credit for doing something different and not just giving a bland car that looked like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Interior wise, the car is very nice. I like the leather like stitching on the dash, and I find myself using the audio Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel all the time to make and place calls with my iPhone. I also like the audio controls on the steering wheel, and is something I have had for the past 10 years on my cars. I use it all the time. It is great not having to fumble with my hands free for my cellphone or hunt for radio stations. My iPhone works pretty seamlessly for music and you can use Bluetooth or the stock cable. Seats are very comfortable and the car has a ****pit like feel. For the rear seats, they are actually pretty spacious width wise, and there is some legroom, but if you are over 5'10" sitting in the back for more than a few minutes is not doable. This is not a sedan. But I have younger kids, and they fit easily, and I had no issues fitting a car seat or booster seat. The front seats have a handle on the back of them making it very easy for a rear passenger to get in and out of the car.

As for price. I was able to leverage a Hyundai Competitor rebate and I paid $23,740 for the car (this was about $600 under invoice if you factor in the iPod cable, and floor mats, and before tax, license, and title. There were no other fees). Base BRZ MSRP (no dealer was willing to let the car go for less than MSRP not including options) was about $3K more. Mustang and Speed3 were all about the same price so it was a wash there on price. GTI, was going to be a little more, but I am not ready to buy another VW after my Jetta VR6 fiasco (let's just say that car was in the shop almost as much as it was on the road). The Hyundai dealer also gave me 4 years of oil changes, a lifetime powertrain warranty (on top of the 5yr/60K bumper to bumper), and the best trade-in value for my car. They gave me full KBB trade-in (I had to haggle) which seemed more than fair considering the car needs new rotors, brakepads, clutch, belts (timing belt, etc), tires, and had some minor dings and scratches. Ford dealer was only willing to give me $7K, Mazda $7700, and I got just under $8K from Hyundai. I also secured 2.9% financing through the dealer which was pretty solid (I took out a 5 year loan but will pay the car off in less than 2 years).

It is hard to say if I would have ponied up the extra $3K to buy a BRZ. I am intrigued by the BRZ. I definitely want to drive one, and I will probably wait and see what an STI BRZ will offer down the road. Could easily be my next car.... That will give some time for the buzz to die down, dealers to have stock, and time to wheel and deal more on price. But $3K will by you a lot of aftermarket accessories for the Genesis Coupe as well. It seems like it would be easy to add an additional 40-50hp and more torque and also improve the suspension if I wanted. But I really don't see the need since this is a daily driver, and I just don't have time to track the car. Perhaps when the kids are out of the house.. Which is in like 15 years....

Highlights of the car:
- Acceleration
- Handling
- Interior quality and features
- RWD
- Good braking
- Audio and Bluetooth steering controls
- Gas mileage
- Warranty

Criticisms:
- Shifter not as smooth as other competitors
- Exterior styling
- Car could be a little lighter
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-11-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #1950
EvoTME

Drives: vw polo gti
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it is a little better now:

I have never driven neither the new toyobaru (they will arrive in June in Europe) nor the new ’13 GC (I have only test driven the old model) BUT I think that the GC has a great potential: if stock for stock the toyobaru is for sure more fun even is the Gc is faster on straight line with some upgrades it could achieve an high level of performance: its revised turbo engine is capable of about 320whp and 45kgm of torque (with the stock turbo and internals using only bolt ons) together with a proper suspension setup its “grand touring soul” can be washed away. Another problem of the Korean car is the weight: with 1530kg is quite fat (but we do not have to forget that it is a 4.63 m car and 4 adults can seat quite comfortably – I am 1.95 m tall and i could seat in the back seats quite well, the only problem was the roof height, with the toyobaru I have serous doubts to even seat in a decent manner-) but is possible to shave some weight quite easily: changing wheel with lighter ones (also using 18’ Instead of 19’), cf hood, bucket seats, lighter exhaust and battery is possible to shave around 90kg (all the weights are based on actual experience). With these mods the gc would be a totally different animal even though toyobaru would still also be more tactile and light on its feet but without a decent engine I think that it would be impossible to exploit its wonderful chassis. We do not have to forget that changing tires (with stickier ones, I think that everyone will do this especially who want to track its car) and suspension will make this car less funny to drive due to its higher grip that its engine and torque (or the lack of it…) can not overtake. With a turbo would be a totally different stoy though…
EvoTME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #1951
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
@ thill - im guesssing your 3.5 altima wasnt a stick? If it was it would feel as quick as the GC im quite sure.

Glad you found happiness nonetheless. Theres a car for everyone out there

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #1952
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
@ thill - im guesssing your 3.5 altima wasnt a stick? If it was it would feel as quick as the GC im quite sure.

Glad you found happiness nonetheless. Theres a car for everyone out there
Yes. The 2002 Altima was the only automatic (and the last) that I have purchased for myself since buying my first car in 1990. I was recently married in 2002, we lived in Washington DC with tons of traffic, and the wife insisted on the automatic (even though I ended up driving the car most of the time). Have not had that debate since

And the auto was still quite fast. But the car also was not the best handling, and my Odyssey minivan had a tighter turning radius than that car. It was my biggest pet peeve. But I was also coming from a much better handling car that had a tight turning radius (VR6 Jetta).

Sad to see that Nissan is going with CVT only now for their Altima sedans. Many companies are doing this now and manuals seem to be a dying breed for the sedan market.

Last edited by thill; 05-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #1953
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0 (manual). I had it narrowed down the Genesis, a Mazda Speed3, a BRZ, and was also looking into the upcoming Ford Focus ST. I really wanted to wait to drive the Focus ST and BRZ before making a decision but my 2006 Mazda 3 was going to need some expensive repairs and I did not want to try my luck any longer with the car. Unfortunately it was in an accident in 2010 (not my fault) and has not been the same since, and the insurance company was not willing to fix the car in 2012 from what were lingering issues from an accident 2 years before. It was too bad as I paid cash for the car in 2006 and it has been a rock up until this point. It was a nice little commuter car but I really wanted something with more power.

Finding a BRZ in my area was not going to be easy I found two dealers that were willing to sell them at MSRP, with a fully refundable deposit, but I was going to be 8 or 9th out of the list of 9 allocated cars at one dealer, and 12 out of 12 allocated cars at the other. Some of the other dealers I called that I may have been able to get a car sooner told me they would most likely be marking up over MSRP (no deal). While I would have really liked to have test driven one of these bad boys before deciding, in the end, I did not want to play Russian roulette with my current car as it was looking like a very long wait with the local Subaru dealers on the BRZ. They told me they expected one car a month (so looking at a 6-12 month wait). Which seems ridiculous (and maybe they will get the cars allocated faster, but the sales manager I spoke to said he was told one a month and that I should prepare for that). There was always a chance someone would back out of an allocated car, but I 100% want a manual and am very particular on color, so the wait seemed as though it would be long. In the meantime it makes no sense to dump $2-3K in a car that is worth about $7000-8000K and I want to get rid of.

As for the Genesis Coupe, I really liked the car the minute I drove it. For some background, I have previously owned two RX-7's (one being a turbo), a Mazda 3, a VW Jetta VR6, a VW GTI, a Nissan Altima SE 3.5, and a BMW 325i (other cars too, but those were the fun ones that I would compare to). I did not even have Hyundai on the radar when I started shopping. I was shopping a little bit of everything (coupes, sedans, etc) I test drove a MazdaSpeed 3, Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package, Subaru WRX (non-STI), VW GTI, Chevy Camaro V6, Ford Focus SE, Honda Accord V6 Coupe, etc. I stumbled across a review of the 2013 Genesis Coupe and figured why not. I liked what Hyundai had been doing in recent years and I have several friends and family members buy a Hyundai and they seemed happy with their cars and experience with the brand.

Handling? I thought the Genesis Coupe handled pretty well. Suspension was tight, and the car goes where you point it for the most part. I recently drove a Mini Cooper S, and a Mazda RX8. Those cars will handle better. The Genesis is not a light car, but it is RWD, and it does have a lot of power. There is some turbo lag, but I did not feel it to be extreme, and the car accelerates from a stop very quickly. Motortrend recently clocked 0-60 in 5.7sec with the 2.0 turbo with the manual. I believe it. Stability control is three stage, and you can disable it if you would like. So far, I have not noticed it kicking in too excessively, but I am not tracking this car. It is a daily driver and my commute is not really full of winding roads. But this car will pass on the freeway effortlessly. I love the power in the 60-75mph powerband. It moves. I have had nothing but smiles on my face and have done a little drifting with the car, and it is a blast. The car is pretty easy to maintain control of, but with traction control off, you need to know what you are doing. Because the power is deceiving on this little beast. I can see where people can get theirselves in trouble with the power. I constantly have to watch my speed limit as I routinely find myself going 10mph over the speed limit effortlessly. It is easily the fastest car I have ever owned.

I will say that the manual is not the smoothest I have ever driven. It took me a little time feeling comfortable with quick shifts, and while it is not terrible, it is not a highlight for the car. By comparison, VW GTI, Ford Mustang, and Mazda Speed3, had smoother shifting manuals (with the Ford being the best I think), but the trade-off is FWD vs RWD for the Mazda and VW vs the Hyundai and Ford. And frankly, I was tired of FWD and wanted RWD drive again. I would say the ride of the car is pretty refined overall. I would not say it is too harsh, but it is not too soft either. I was pretty impressed with the way the car felt and handled vs the other cars I drove. I would not say it was a class leader, but it was also pretty solid. It definitely did not feel like I was driving a boat or a truck like some people have insinuated in this thread. Not as raw as a Miata or Mini either, but I actually liked the handling better than the Mustang, and GTI. I thought the Speed3 had some fun handling and user feedback, but it felt more untamed than the Genesis Coupe and you can definitely feel the torque steer on that Mazda Speed3. The Speed3 was a fun car. I would say the most fun of any of the cars I drove, but I was not sold on the FWD, and the interior really turned me off. The steering wheel has gobs of buttons and the interior felt very cheap next to the Genesis Coupe. Since this is a daily driver, I wanted something that I was going to enjoy sitting in for my commute (which is 160-180 miles per week on average, with some additional miles on the weekend).

The Genesis Coupe is certainly not without fault. I know the exterior style is polarizing. You either like it or you don't. I was skeptical from the pictures I saw online, but liked it better in person. It has grown on me even more as I have owned the car, and I have had a number of people stop me and ask me who makes it and compliment the car. I understand some of the criticism. But I give Hyundai some credit for doing something different and not just giving a bland car that looked like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Interior wise, the car is very nice. I like the leather like stitching on the dash, and I find myself using the audio Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel all the time to make and place calls with my iPhone. I also like the audio controls on the steering wheel, and is something I have had for the past 10 years on my cars. I use it all the time. It is great not having to fumble with my hands free for my cellphone or hunt for radio stations. My iPhone works pretty seamlessly for music and you can use Bluetooth or the stock cable. Seats are very comfortable and the car has a ****pit like feel. For the rear seats, they are actually pretty spacious width wise, and there is some legroom, but if you are over 5'10" sitting in the back for more than a few minutes is not doable. This is not a sedan. But I have younger kids, and they fit easily, and I had no issues fitting a car seat or booster seat. The front seats have a handle on the back of them making it very easy for a rear passenger to get in and out of the car.

As for price. I was able to leverage a Hyundai Competitor rebate and I paid $23,740 for the car (this was about $600 under invoice if you factor in the iPod cable, and floor mats, and before tax, license, and title. There were no other fees). Base BRZ MSRP (no dealer was willing to let the car go for less than MSRP not including options) was about $3K more. Mustang and Speed3 were all about the same price so it was a wash there on price. GTI, was going to be a little more, but I am not ready to buy another VW after my Jetta VR6 fiasco (let's just say that car was in the shop almost as much as it was on the road). The Hyundai dealer also gave me 4 years of oil changes, a lifetime powertrain warranty (on top of the 5yr/60K bumper to bumper), and the best trade-in value for my car. They gave me full KBB trade-in (I had to haggle) which seemed more than fair considering the car needs new rotors, brakepads, clutch, belts (timing belt, etc), tires, and had some minor dings and scratches. Ford dealer was only willing to give me $7K, Mazda $7700, and I got just under $8K from Hyundai. I also secured 2.9% financing through the dealer which was pretty solid (I took out a 5 year loan but will pay the car off in less than 2 years).

It is hard to say if I would have ponied up the extra $3K to buy a BRZ. I am intrigued by the BRZ. I definitely want to drive one, and I will probably wait and see what an STI BRZ will offer down the road. Could easily be my next car.... That will give some time for the buzz to die down, dealers to have stock, and time to wheel and deal more on price. But $3K will by you a lot of aftermarket accessories for the Genesis Coupe as well. It seems like it would be easy to add an additional 40-50hp and more torque and also improve the suspension if I wanted. But I really don't see the need since this is a daily driver, and I just don't have time to track the car. Perhaps when the kids are out of the house.. Which is in like 15 years....

Highlights of the car:
- Acceleration
- Handling
- RWD
- Good braking
- Gas mileage
- Warranty

Criticisms:
- Exterior styling
I was wondering why Hyundai would make this car feel like a boat after many reviews said the pre 2013 had good handling. Out of all your criticisms the 3rd one is the only one for me as I loved the 2011 6 speed auto by ZF and I love the exterior styling a bit more on the pre 2013 models.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #1954
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I was wondering why Hyundai would make this car feel like a boat after many reviews said the pre 2013 had good handling. Out of all your criticisms the 3rd one is the only one for me as I loved the 2011 6 speed auto by ZF and I love the exterior styling a bit more on the pre 2013 models.
The Genesis Coupe definitely does not feel like a boat. But it is not going to handle like a lighter car such as a Miata, Mini, or RX-8 (cars I have driven as a comparison, or the BRZ/FR-S that I have not driven, but we can just assume is closer to the Miata). You can't have it all for around $25K

I did not drive any automatics, but the 2013 does have a sport mode on the 8 speed automatic, and from what I have read, is pretty aggressive and fun. But I wanted a manual

And yeah, the styling is what it is. Truth be told, I probably prefer the pre 2013 front end, but there were too many big changes between the 2012 and 2013, and since the dealer was willing to sell a 2013 at invoice, it was hard to pass up. But the 2013 do seem to be selling. I could not find a white manual base in the local or surrounding area and there were just a couple of base 2.0 models with manuals in the the whole state. My dealer was able to find me a grey one (second color choice). There just are not many 2013's sitting on lots in the midwest. I wanted to drive an RSPEC but there were none locally when I was looking. There was one, but it sold before I could test drive it. Dealer suspected it could be about 6-8 weeks to get a base 2.0 T with a manual in white ordered.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #1955
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The Genesis Coupe definitely does not feel like a boat. But it is not going to handle like a lighter car such as a Miata, Mini, or RX-8 (cars I have driven as a comparison, or the BRZ/FR-S that I have not driven, but we can just assume is closer to the Miata). You can't have it all for around $25K

I did not drive any automatics, but the 2013 does have a sport mode on the 8 speed automatic, and from what I have read, is pretty aggressive and fun. But I wanted a manual

And yeah, the styling is what it is. Truth be told, I probably prefer the pre 2013 front end, but there were too many big changes between the 2012 and 2013, and since the dealer was willing to sell a 2013 at invoice, it was hard to pass up. But the 2013 do seem to be selling. I could not find a white manual base in the local or surrounding area and there were just a couple of base 2.0 models with manuals in the the whole state. My dealer was able to find me a grey one (second color choice). There just are not many 2013's sitting on lots in the midwest. I wanted to drive an RSPEC but there were none locally when I was looking. There was one, but it sold before I could test drive it. Dealer suspected it could be about 6-8 weeks to get a base 2.0 T with a manual in white ordered.
I love the 2013 front end after I saw it in person. But the 2012 was like one point ahead like . 9 vs 10 from 1-10. Its not a big deal other than the hood vents.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #1956
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I love the 2013 front end after I saw it in person. But the 2012 was like one point ahead like . 9 vs 10 from 1-10. Its not a big deal other than the hood vents.
I know I am probably the minority, but I dig the hood vents I don't love the front bumper as much as the 2010-2012. But Hyundai is doing it with most of their cars. And have you seen the new Dodge Charger? People say the GC has a catfish like look to it.. This must be an open mouth bass

Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #1957
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
I find the front lights on the GC just whack. It's too bad as I quite like the side profile, and the back end is beautiful.

Thill, I would not recommend you test drive an FRS/BRZ until you are ready to buy another car - that way you won't be kicking yourself in the butt for the next few years!
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #1958
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
I find the front lights on the GC just whack. It's too bad as I quite like the side profile, and the back end is beautiful.

Thill, I would not recommend you test drive an FRS/BRZ until you are ready to buy another car - that way you won't be kicking yourself in the butt for the next few years!
Haha, I know.. But I am excited to drive a BRZ/FR-S (if the dealers ever have one that they loan out to test drive!). I have driven cars very similar to the BRZ. I almost traded in my Mazda 3 a few years ago on an RX-8 which should have similar characteristics. The Miata (which a good friend owned and I drove several times) was a blast. He had the MazdaSpeed Miata that had lots of mods and that little car was a blast. But it was not a daily driver.. I suspect the BRZ will be close to that Miata as well.

Honestly, I am just glad there are more options out there for RWD sports cars. I welcome the FR-S/BRZ with open arms and truly hope it is successful. Lots of rumors about Mazda coming out with another RX-7, and if the twins sell well, we could see one. My best memories of driving a car with my RX-7's. Remind me of the BRZ.. Not the fastest car out there, but a blast to drive and you could really wring the hell out of that engine to redline..

It will only make the other manufacturers better IMHO.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #1959
tinnyms3

Drives: ms3
Nice writeup thill, planning to test drive a gc this weekend. Being used higher hp cars, have a feeling I'll be disappointed with power on the brz.

Quote:

Highlights of the car:
- Acceleration
- Handling
- RWD
- Good braking
- Gas mileage
- Warranty

Criticisms:
- Exterior styling

BRZ STi on order
tinnyms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #1960
normancw

Drives: 128i
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
After reading a lot of the comparisons in this subforum, I really wanted to try some of the FR-S competitors myself, including the MX-5, Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec, and Mustang V6 with Track Pack. Here is my review of the Genesis Coupe.

I wanted to test drive the Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec, but the dealer didn't have an R-Spec - I drove a Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT instead. The R-Spec has Brembo brakes, stiffer suspension and 19" rims (vs 18" on the Premium).

Immediately, my wife didn't like how big it was - it's longer than my 330i, about the same weight, and almost as tall. She really didn't think it was a competitor to the FR-S, but rather an alternative to a 3-series coupe.

She didn't want to drive it. I drove it for ~15 minutes, both on the highway and on back country roads. My impressions:
  • The interior is very nicely finished, with lot's of features, and the dash is very well laid out
  • The view is very good, with no blind spots. The driver's seat has quite a lot of vertical travel, providing a good view over the hood
  • The steering wheel is nice and small and the center stack has 3 nice analog gauges (engine temp, oil pressure, and something else)
  • The engine and exhaust sound is quite nice - before this, I had never driven a turbo!
  • The engine feels soft at low RPMs, but once it hit 4000, the turbo boost was great. The torque curve was not nearly as flat as what I was expecting. Below 3000 rpm, the FR-S is more responsive. Off the line, my 330i feels quite a bit faster, but once the boost hits, the Genesis is faster
  • The ride is very good, quite a bit softer than the FR-S and MX-5
  • The coupe rolls a lot more than the FR-S and MX-5, I could really feel the extra 600lbs. Even though it weighs the same, my 330i feels more buttoned down. I'm sure an R-Spec is quite a bit better
  • The steering is quite light - it's nice, but doesn't provide as much feedback as the FR-S, MX-5, and 330i
  • The shifter feels pretty good when the car is not moving. Underway, under full throttle, the shift from second to third is quite balky
In summary, it's a very nice and fast car, providing a lot of value for the money. I agree with my wife - I don't really see it as a direct competitor to the FR-S, but rather more of an alternative to the G37 and 3-series coupe.
normancw is offline   Reply With Quote