follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #127
Trmx2

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S 6spd
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Love it when threads get derailed and hijacked.

With that being said, I finally got the coilovers installed this past weekend. I am getting an alignment and proper setup this weekend. So far my initial impressions are very good.

Car feels very planted and the lower center of gravity gives the car a whole new feel. I am conservatively low at about 1.65" F and about 1.57" R settings are from the factory at 15 clicks from stiffest setting all around. I do feel I need to get this dialed in properly as the 15 clicks from stiffest doesn't seem ideal for the harsh roads I travel on daily. Car handles far better than stock, turns feel more confident, high speeds feel more confident, and small twisty roads and long on/off ramps feel great. The car definitely feels better turning sharp corners too, the body roll is lessened greatly.

You can definitely tell that the car is stiffer than stock, but bumps feel better, more controlled, and less jarring. You will still feel the bumps, and the suspension let's you know what the dampers are doing, but that jagged twitchy jarring feel you get when going over a pothole, speed bump, or divot in the road is gone. Now it feels more like the suspension really catches it, let's you know it's there, and then that's it.

The stock suspension always felt out of whack when it hit a large speed bump or uneven divot in the pavement, it took longer to recover and the chassis felt like it took a lot of the work too.

Quality of this suspension is amazing, every detail is there and they look immaculate. There is no noise associated with the coils minus a slight "whoosh" noise when going over a large dip or bump, it sounds like the dampers doing their thing, and definitely does not sound like something irregular.

One thing I am not fond of is that the damping settings for the FRONT dampers are on the bottom of the damper. I believe STANCE is like that as well. So for those that want ease of adjustment from the top of your front damper, this may be an issue. The rears are top mount adjustable though.

Once I get aligned and properly set up and everything tweaked properly, I will post a FULL REVIEW in the suspension section.
Trmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trmx2 For This Useful Post:
10Stars (12-22-2014), AznKirby (12-24-2014), Jdogg88 (12-23-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #128
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
for the front adjustment, just cock your wheels all the way to one side, and its actaullya little quicker than popping your hood.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #129
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

Well I finally got my Tein Street Flex coilovers

@CSG David I really wanted to buy from you guys but I got a deal so good from @Gruppe-s that I just couldn't pass up. I will try to return the favor in the future.

One question though guys I just unboxed them yesterday and one of the rear coilovers has a small paint chip on the top hat . Should I be concerned? Will it rust? I know these type of things happen during shipping and I would prefer not to ship it back since I feel that I'm being a bit too paranoid. I already pm'd @Gruppe-s just to get their opinion on it but what do you guys think? Will I be ok? Thanks everyone.

10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 10Stars For This Useful Post:
Gruppe-s (12-29-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:18 AM   #130
10Stars

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Help anyone!?

Last edited by 10Stars; 12-24-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #131
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'd personally think they'd be ok. No worse than buying a used set with 20k miles on them. It would fall under cosmetic. Will it affect the function of the coil over, no. The looks yes. You could chip it just by putting them in.
If it truly bothers you, find a good paint and touch it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FastWhite For This Useful Post:
10Stars (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #132
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
That's the tophat on the rear struts which are somewhat buried. I'm not sure how much rust might be a problem, but it should be out of sight - so even a touch-up in a different color would likely be invisible... totally depends whether that kind of thing bugs you. I'd probably give it a touch-up myself, just because it *is* exposed, and move on with the install. As mentioned, you could easily do something like this accidentally while installing.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
10Stars (12-24-2014), Gruppe-s (12-29-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #133
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I got my Hipermax in the mail last week. Can't wait for summer so I can put them on!

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #134
10Stars

Awesome thanks guys! I had a feeling it was just me being paranoid.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #135
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I've had my Hipermax IV SP's installed for about a month now. I haven't made any adjustment's to the dampening and I am at the recommended ride height.

My impressions so far:

At the default settings, the ride is definitely firmer, and pretty jarring at speeds on rough roads.

I haven't drove the car hard and probably won't until the our next autoX season, unless I decide to do a track day before then.

The car definetly feels more planted, but that should be expected when you drop the twins 20mm.
Since I haven't done any spirited driving, I don't know how the firmer spring rates have affected my slip angles and lateral grip.

I DD my OEM wheels/tires, Track and AutoX I'm on tc105n 17x9 +32 and 245/40/17 Star Specs.

I can't say anything for sure, other than the ride is firmer, until I get a track day/autoX on the coilovers.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #136
FastWhite

Garage
My Tein SRC's should be in on the 30th. The LCA's from racer X should be in by then and then it's fun time.
Only iffy question is wether I will keep the super pro 20/18 sway bars. First autocross's is first week of February.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #137
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWhite View Post
My Tein SRC's should be in on the 30th. The LCA's from racer X should be in by then and then it's fun time.
Only iffy question is wether I will keep the super pro 20/18 sway bars. First autocross's is first week of February.

Start with stock sway bars first and go from there. I suggest you don't swap too many parts at the same time.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #138
FastWhite

Garage
Ok, once it's up I will put the stocks back on. I'm pretty sure I'll need the LCA's to even out the camber. I have a 0.4 deg difference from side to side. Not a lot I know, but it will bother me to no end. This is a personnel preference.
Then everything else will wait, suspension wise, until I evaluate them.
You must be a down right hardcore car guy to answer these forums all the time.
Hats off to CSG David for putting up with us all crazy car guys.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #139
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWhite View Post
Ok, once it's up I will put the stocks back on. I'm pretty sure I'll need the LCA's to even out the camber. I have a 0.4 deg difference from side to side. Not a lot I know, but it will bother me to no end. This is a personnel preference.
Then everything else will wait, suspension wise, until I evaluate them.
You must be a down right hardcore car guy to answer these forums all the time.
Hats off to CSG David for putting up with us all crazy car guys.

0.4 degree difference is large. Make sure to sit in the car when you get your alignment done. The camber measurement settings should be symmetrical on the left and right. The instructions will provide recommended camber settings which you should get if you follow the recommended damper settings. These settings are for cars without adjustable lower control arms.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #140
FastWhite

Garage
Did not know that. The back always had the large difference. The fronts with the crash bolts would only go to -1.3 both sides. I have read that there can be a lot of variance with this car.
I shall follow your instructions sir. As long as it's not jumping off a cliff lol.
In case they will not allow me to sit in the car I'll arrange a suitable comparable body weight.