follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
babylobster

Drives: Firestorm Red 2013 Scion FR-S 6Spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Loading and playing music off USB?

Hello, I'm pretty n00b to this forum so if this same question was asked before (I'm sure it has), I apologize in advance. I have one of those micro Sandisk USB drives (I think 32gb?) and couldn't figure out how to make transferred songs on there work in my car. Can someone kindly walk me through how you're supposed to format it, if you need to create certain folders, do the songs have to be a certain format, renaming it so the title/artist displays, etc. please? I originally just dragged the music into the USB and the car would not recognize it.
babylobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
UtahSleeper

Drives: 80 Corolla 88 Celica Alltrac 13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I haven't really had an issue, but what I can suggest is formatting the usb drive to FAT32.

Also, are the files mp3's?
UtahSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UtahSleeper For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylobster View Post
Hello, I'm pretty n00b to this forum so if this same question was asked before (I'm sure it has), I apologize in advance. I have one of those micro Sandisk USB drives (I think 32gb?) and couldn't figure out how to make transferred songs on there work in my car. Can someone kindly walk me through how you're supposed to format it, if you need to create certain folders, do the songs have to be a certain format, renaming it so the title/artist displays, etc. please? I originally just dragged the music into the USB and the car would not recognize it.
I have a thread going here that you may want to read.

As posted above, your flash drive must be formatted to FAT32. Your files need to be MP3's or WMA's to work with USB (per the manual).

Alternatively, you can use an iPOD instead of of USB, or access music files on your phone/in cloud via BT or cable. Lots of options.

If you need more help, ask.
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billyk For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post
I haven't really had an issue, but what I can suggest is formatting the usb drive to FAT32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post

Also, are the files mp3's?
I'm pretty sure they are mp3's. If not, maybe that mp4 (is that what it's called?) kind?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
I have a thread going
Quote:
here that you may want to read.

As posted above, your flash drive must be formatted to FAT32. Your files need to be MP3's or WMA's to work with USB (per the manual).

Alternatively, you can use an iPOD instead of of USB, or access music files on your phone/in cloud via BT or cable. Lots of options.

If you need more help, ask.
Thanks! I used to have an iPod Touch but got rid of it (old and slow) and I'd rather just have a USB plugged in and not worry about it because it's tiny instead of using my phone (it's super slow).

Is it also possible to make folders in the USB? (Hiphop, Spanish, R&B, etc) Or is it all a big blob that plays randomly?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
billyk

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they are mp3's. If not, maybe that mp4 (is that what it's called?) kind?
You can easily confirm by looking at the files. Is the extension .mp3?

If yes, great. We can move on.

If no, you'll have to convert. Google it, find a converter app that's appropriate for whatever OS you are using, install the app and convert your files over to mp3. Then we can move on.

Or, you can play off your phone or iPod, as I stated above.
The Following User Says Thank You to billyk For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
babylobster

Quote:
You can easily confirm by looking at the files. Is the extension .mp3?
Quote:

If yes, great. We can move on.

If no, you'll have to convert. Google it, find a converter app that's appropriate for whatever OS you are using, install the app and convert your files over to mp3. Then we can move on.

Or, you can play off your phone or iPod, as I stated above.
Alright. I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
UtahSleeper

Drives: 80 Corolla 88 Celica Alltrac 13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks! I used to have an iPod Touch but got rid of it (old and slow) and I'd rather just have a USB plugged in and not worry about it because it's tiny instead of using my phone (it's super slow).

Is it also possible to make folders in the USB? (Hiphop, Spanish, R&B, etc) Or is it all a big blob that plays randomly?
Yes, you can create folders to divide your music. The stereo will only show the folders with music directly in them, so no putting a folder in a folder.

Not sure if mp4's will work.
UtahSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
You definitely can put a folder in a folder. I have my USB drive with folders organized by artist (copied from my iTunes media library). Inside each artist folder are multiple folders named by album, with individual songs in each album folder.

When searching the head unit shows the top level directory (artists) and once you select one it shows the next level (albums).
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
billyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
You definitely can put a folder in a folder. I have my USB drive with folders organized by artist (copied from my iTunes media library). Inside each artist folder are multiple folders named by album, with individual songs in each album folder.

When searching the head unit shows the top level directory (artists) and once you select one it shows the next level (albums).
Toast:
For clarification, I have the 2014 base head unit. If you have the same unit, I'd love to know what audio format your files are in, and if you can, what ID3 tag format was used.

I have folders in folders - no problem there - but only the folder that has the files gets it's name displayed on the head unit. For me, the "Artist" folder, that contains sub-folders that contain individual albums, never shows up on the display.

Look forward to your reply.
-bk
Old 12-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I didn't even think about the base being different than the limited, but I guess that makes sense since they are totally different manufacturers.

The format is whatever iTunes uses. I literally just did a drag and drop of select artists from the iTunes media folder into the root folder of the USB drive.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
billyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I didn't even think about the base being different than the limited, but I guess that makes sense since they are totally different manufacturers.

The format is whatever iTunes uses. I literally just did a drag and drop of select artists from the iTunes media folder into the root folder of the USB drive.
Thanks for the clarification! Different hardware.