follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS RS 1.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maintenance plan question?

Anyone who have bought the maintenance plan from toyota for their FRS, I have a quick question for you. Currently at 3000 miles on my new 2015 RS 1.0 and my first oil change will be at 7500 miles. My question is: are we allow to choose what brand oil we want, or are they putting in Toyota's Synthetic?
Mr_YUzU_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I can't remember where I saw it but im pretty sure Toyota and Subaru use Mobil-1 Fully Synthetic. But I think if you go out and buy the oil and say I want this in the car they wont refuse to use it. And most people recommend doing the first oil change sooner than 7500 miles, why I have no clue.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_YUzU_FRS View Post
Anyone who have bought the maintenance plan from toyota for their FRS, I have a quick question for you. Currently at 3000 miles on my new 2015 RS 1.0 and my first oil change will be at 7500 miles. My question is: are we allow to choose what brand oil we want, or are they putting in Toyota's Synthetic?
Talk to the dealer about which oil they use. Service centers can be shared among dealership brands (e.g. Parr Volkswagen and Hyundai share a service center in Bremerton, WA). Some dealerships use a PREMIUM OIL (OMG OMG OMG OMG), for example, I've heard Carter Subaru in Seattle uses Mobil 1. Typically, it is safe to assume that a reputable dealership or shop will use oil that meets the specifications of the manufacturer. HOWEVER, it is never a bad idea to do your due diligence and ask the service writer which oil will be used for your car (certainly there is an internet library of horror stories about mistakes being made).

It is typically an acceptable practice to provide your own oil for an oil change, especially if you wish to run a PREMIUM OIL (OMG OMG OMG OMG).
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
I can't remember where I saw it but im pretty sure Toyota and Subaru use Mobil-1 Fully Synthetic. But I think if you go out and buy the oil and say I want this in the car they wont refuse to use it. And most people recommend doing the first oil change sooner than 7500 miles, why I have no clue.
Yea I asked the maintenance manager on the phone and he said its recommended oil change is at 7500 and theres no need to change sooner because they do not use break-in oil for these cars. And I already paid for the plan, makes no sense if I buy my own oil..
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMunchies? View Post
Talk to the dealer about which oil they use. Service centers can be shared among dealership brands (e.g. Parr Volkswagen and Hyundai share a service center in Bremerton, WA). Some dealerships use a PREMIUM OIL (OMG OMG OMG OMG), for example, I've heard Carter Subaru in Seattle uses Mobil 1. Typically, it is safe to assume that a reputable dealership or shop will use oil that meets the specifications of the manufacturer. HOWEVER, it is never a bad idea to do your due diligence and ask the service writer which oil will be used for your car (certainly there is an internet library of horror stories about mistakes being made).

It is typically an acceptable practice to provide your own oil for an oil change, especially if you wish to run a PREMIUM OIL (OMG OMG OMG OMG).
Yea its probably best to call and ask what oil they use for this car. It does say on the plan that it will be full synthetic, just doesn't say which brand they will use. Since its a big reputable dealership, I hope they use good oil for these cars.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Maritime Storm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd, Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
TGMO is made by Mobil.
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
babylobster

Drives: Firestorm Red 2013 Scion FR-S 6Spd
Quote:
Don't quote me on this but I think they change it at the first 1k because of the little metal fragments that end up in the oil. I think I remember reading someone saying they actually saw the fragments in the oil when they did the change. I had mine changed at around 1k also, JUST to be safe.
babylobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylobster View Post
Don't quote me on this but I think they change it at the first 1k because of the little metal fragments that end up in the oil. I think I remember reading someone saying they actually saw the fragments in the oil when they did the change. I had mine changed at around 1k also, JUST to be safe.
yea I remember hearing something similar to that also, I changed mine at 1000 miles too.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
babylobster

Drives: Firestorm Red 2013 Scion FR-S 6Spd
Quote:
yea I remember hearing something similar to that also, I changed mine at 1000 miles too.
My dad tried explaining to me in super dumb layman terms. Something about how a new engine has to be "broken in" kind of thing so running the oil "smooths" it out, hence the bits of metal fragments that comes off from the smoothing process. You don't want the metal fragments being run all over and potentially messing up the insides which is why you swap it out so early on. Don't know if that helps anyone or if someone wants to explain in normal car terms HAHA.
babylobster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to babylobster For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-29-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylobster View Post
My dad tried explaining to me in super dumb layman terms. Something about how a new engine has to be "broken in" kind of thing so running the oil "smooths" it out, hence the bits of metal fragments that comes off from the smoothing process. You don't want the metal fragments being run all over and potentially messing up the insides which is why you swap it out so early on. Don't know if that helps anyone or if someone wants to explain in normal car terms HAHA.
tehehe

it doesn't matter one way or the other. The oil is good enough to run the full service interval. At the same time your warranty is not going to be void if you change it early and then your engine blows.

But every daddy has their own family tradition regarding oil changes. hehehaha

Run the interval that suits your budget and peace of mind as long as it is documented and within manufacturer published specifications. That is if you care about warranty, if not do whatever you want. Generally people over think this too much IMO
Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_YUzU_FRS View Post
Yea I asked the maintenance manager on the phone and he said its recommended oil change is at 7500 and theres no need to change sooner because they do not use break-in oil for these cars. And I already paid for the plan, makes no sense if I buy my own oil..
They DO USE break in oil in these cars.

Posted results from Blackstone oil analysis shows Moly levels of almost 700 ppm aat the first change, while after a 3rd oil change with "regular oil" has less than 100 ppm.

So whoever told you theat this car does not use break in oil was wrong.
OR the factory adds "regular oil" and a moly additive for first fill up.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
HotLavaChick

Drives: '15 Hot Lava FRS
so go and service is for oil change at 1000k? i have that plan too
HotLavaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #13
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Didn't they revise the 2015 FRS/BRZ to 6000 Miles instead of 7500?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #14
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Didn't they revise the 2015 FRS/BRZ to 6000 Miles instead of 7500?
Yes. My 2015 Brz is 6k miles.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote