follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bad Experience with AVO Turboworld

So it pains me to make this thread, but unfortunately I've hit a wall and have no other choice. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to take a $150-$200 hit on the chin due to laziness, poor communications, and from my perspective, a lack of care towards customer impact. I've purchased A LOT of AVO Turbo products over the past year and everything has gone as planned as long as there weren't any hiccups. Customer service has always been "ok", but never did I ever feel a sense of urgency when things went sideways. Up until this point, things would get resolved, albeit at their own pace.

The problem:

I ordered a few small bits (upgraded actuator, gaskets for the millionth time, bushings, etc) and I decided to add on the STI Engine mounts at the same time. They were in stock, I was gonna get them anyways, so I figured why not. I live in Canada, but only an hour away from North Dakota. I frequently ship to the border and pick it up myself to save a ton in shipping and duty brokerage.

ORDERED: Oct 2nd 2014

PICKED UP AND BEGAN INSTALL: Oct 8th 2014

I had the car up in the air and started disassembling the motor mounts while I was under there doing some other stuff. After about 20 minutes of pure confusion as to why the passenger side engine mount would not go in, I figured I should take a step back and make sure everything was correct. This is what I found:

If you look closely, the two STI mounts (the ones with the ST markings) are identical. The mounts should not be the same as they mount on either side. I confirmed this by looking at the OEM mounts and noting that they had two different part numbers stamped on them.

AVO had sent me two IDENTICAL engine mounts (drivers side) as opposed to one passenger and one drivers side.

This is a big problem because I had my car up in the air and I need to put it back together. I immediately emailed Paul @ AVO.

Quote:
Paul,

I just picked up everything today at the border and I'm mid-install.

You shipped me two drivers die engine mounts. This is a huge problem because my car is apart and I need to get ti back together asap so I can move it into offsite winter storage.

How soon can you get me the proper passenger side mount? The two that I have are both J20 P#'s where there should be a 10 and a 20.

Alex
No response right away so I called him and he advised that another order may have gotten one of my mounts and vice versa. He emailed back later that afternoon with:

Quote:
Bad news, the other set was correct for both sides. I'll contact Japan and see what I can do to get the other side sent asap.
I emailed back on the same day (oct 8th) this, just to confirm there weren't any more mess ups.

Quote:
Ok, thanks.

Just to confirm, the one I need is the right side (passenger in north america) with the P/N ending in 10.

Thanks,

Alex
I get it, mistakes happen. At the end of the day, it's crappy because my car is in the air in my garage and it's a huge delay but it's not the end of the world I suppose. He agreed to ship the proper mount to my Canadian address, which to be quite honest, is the LEAST that should of been done. It's not my problem, it's theirs.

This was emailed to me on Oct 9th:

Quote:
Japan is arranging for it, and I'm going to have them send direct. Is the address you want to send to any different?
No problem, right?

Oct 14th, no email or contact of any kind so I emailed Paul to find out whats up. Politely obviously

Quote:
Do they have a tracking # for me?
This is where it went REALLY sideways and decended into nothing less than absolutely terrible customer service. I was now being pushed aside. Here's a quick timeline in point form:

OCT 16th: Paul did they send you a tracking number? - Response: It should of been sent. I'll check. No email after this one.

OCT 17th: Another email sent asking If he has a tracking #. NO RESPONSE.

OCT 21st: Another email sent "Any word yet? I'm assuming i'ts been sent out, I just wanted the tracking # to see where it is."... response: "I'll get on that". No email afterwards.

OCT 27th: Another email sent "Any word yet? Just need to know that it was shipped to put my mind at ease. "... NO RESPONSE.

OCT 31st: ANOTHER email sent "Paul,

I really need to know what's going on with that engine mount issue. I have one STI mount and one OEM mount in my car. It's been a couple weeks at least with no tracking #. I've been exceptionally patient up until this point. Please get this resolved ASAP.

-Alex"

NO RESPONSE.

At this point, I don't even want the mount from them. I have one OEM mount and one STI mount in the car. It's stored until spring so I can't put it in anyways. I'll order a single mount from another vendor and move on with life. I'm absolutely disgusted by the customer service that I've received.

My current list of AVO parts is as follows:

AVO Stage 1 Turbo Kit
AVO 50/50 Blow off Valve
AVO Upgraded actuator
AVO 2.5" overpipe
AVO 3" downpipe
AVO 3" overpipe
AVO 3" front pipe
AVO Anti Tramp bushings

Converted to Canadian funds, I've spent over $6000 with this company over the past year. Just a heads up for anyone else considering doing business with @AVOturboworld ... it's an okay product I guess, just make sure that you buy local and make sure you see the product before you buy it.

This isn't meant to offend or throw anyone under the bus. I'm just sharing my experience because I'm not happy with how things went at all. I gave MANY chances to make the situation right.
Draco_PR23 (11-25-2014), JPxM0Dz (12-03-2014), Lonewolf (11-25-2014), Sportsguy83 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am very sorry to hear about this. Paul has been very helpful to me and I can only guess that the issue is on the other side of the ocean and he may not be getting a response himself. I know he was busy getting ready for Sema etc. Who knows. I am sure they will make it right. Good luck!
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
protpibe (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
I am very sorry to hear about this. Paul has been very helpful to me and I can only guess that the issue is on the other side of the ocean and he may not be getting a response himself. I know he was busy getting ready for Sema etc. Who knows. I am sure they will make it right. Good luck!

I thought so too, which is why I exercised patience over the course of about 5 weeks and MANY ignored emails nestled between blind assurances. If he had no intention or the means to correct the issue, he should of just told me "too bad so sad" instead of leading me on since the beginning of October.

I'm sure there are many good experiences with avo out there, but let's be honest, it's not very hard to accept an order, throw it in a box, then mail it out. A company's dedication to its customers isn't tested on an average transaction, it's tested when things go wrong. And in this case, it's an epic failure that leaves me out a couple hundred dollars. Lesson learned.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Wow. That sucks

I'd be fired from my job if I handled customer relations like that.
protpibe (11-20-2014), Sportsguy83 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
I feel your pain.....

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51008
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Draco_PR23
Fiebru

Drives: Scion FR-S and Integra Type R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Same here, after lots of emails I never received the replacement pvc block for my air breather tank that didn't fit and the IC which mine got damaged.
2012 Spruce Mica Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
2000 Phoenix Yellow Acura Integra Type R
Draco_PR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco_PR23 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (12-03-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Well this seems to be a trend...lovely

Would love to hear the vendor's side, but I doubt they will show up....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
On the U.S. side Paul is pretty much a one man show. I've seen it personally.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
protpibe

Paul pm'd and emailed me to apologize, which I believe to be sincere.

The replacement mount is enroute. I'll post here when it's resolved.
Draco_PR23 (12-17-2014), JPxM0Dz (12-03-2014), SkAsphalt (12-08-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge_ninja View Post
On the U.S. side Paul is pretty much a one man show. I've seen it personally.
This AVO is not actually a huge operation just one dude the customer service was not up to par that is for sure but I'd cut him some slack...also parts coming from japan take time (sometimes months)

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote