follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #183
Plat

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hi all,

little late to the game here, but I got everything working, got a JVC head unit, nexus all ready to go. but I can't get the door speakers to work. Any help will be great.

Thanks in advance
Plat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #184
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Another Nexus 7 install: Clean and Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plat View Post
hi all,

little late to the game here, but I got everything working, got a JVC head unit, nexus all ready to go. but I can't get the door speakers to work. Any help will be great.

Thanks in advance

You need to wire the amp wire (car harness) to the ant power on the jvc head unit.

Check my first or second post.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #185
MasterMech77

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
Ended up getting the Ground Loop Isolator from Amazon. It did help cancel out a lot of the static, but when I started my engine up it was probably two times worse than before? I tried wiggling the wires around and it did help to some extent, but the static came back at random times when I went for a test drive.

At this point I think it's either the charging cable or the usb cigarette charger. What are my options?

Thanks again for the help by the way, I really appreciate it!

Not sure if you have fixed the Ground Loop issue you were having?
Here are some fixes that are fairly easy to do:
1: The cables that are being used to interconnect your devices you can add small snap together Ferrite Chokes (http://www.radioshack.com/snap-choke...PLA:RSO:Google)

2: Purchase new cables with the chokes already installed (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231084466559?lpid=82)

3: Create a unified ground for all of your audio components http://www.ebay.com/itm/SQUARE-D-PK9...item19f6ea15e0)
You can find the main vehicle ground tap the bus bar in to the main ground. Then ground everything in the audio system to the bus bar, getting rid of the ground loop issue. I like using bus bars for grounds since it is an easy thing to add too and gives you great contact surface with out bunching a lot of wires in to the main vehicle ground. Plus you can drill and mount the bus bar in to a nice solid metal area of the vehicle helping to unify all your grounding points.

Hope this helps let me know if you need me to go deeper in to explaining where to ground and what not. I am more the willing to help.

Jay F.
#655 of 2500

MasterMech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterMech77 For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #186
MasterMech77

Garage
Oh and you can also do a earth ground kit on your vehicles engine bay and tie in to that main ground (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-5-POINT-CIRCLE-EARTH-SYSTEM-RACING-GROUNDING-CABLE-WIRE-KIT-BLUE-/151430979227?hash=item2341fd5e9b&vxp=mtr)
This way everything in the vehicle is sharing one ground point and no more Ground Loops to deal with
Oh and if you have a external Amplifier on your system, it is best to have power and ground going to the battery and the audio cables separated from the power cables preferable power on one side audio on the other
#655 of 2500

Sojhinn (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #187
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMech77 View Post
Oh and you can also do a earth ground kit on your vehicles engine bay and tie in to that main ground (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-5-POINT-CIRCLE-EARTH-SYSTEM-RACING-GROUNDING-CABLE-WIRE-KIT-BLUE-/151430979227?hash=item2341fd5e9b&vxp=mtr)
This way everything in the vehicle is sharing one ground point and no more Ground Loops to deal with
Oh and if you have a external Amplifier on your system, it is best to have power and ground going to the battery and the audio cables separated from the power cables preferable power on one side audio on the other

Great info man! Thanks.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
MasterMech77 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #188
MasterMech77

Garage
Welcome, I have been working on vehicles for 20+ years now and I still love them and can't wait to get my hands dirty working on my own stuff.

Anyway like I said if anyone has an issue mechanical/electrical, etc... I am more then happy to help answer questions (that and I have done many custom sound systems). Not saying I am great with the App/software side of things, but the wiring, custom install of things is my forte.
#655 of 2500

DAEMANO (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #189
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMech77 View Post
Welcome, I have been working on vehicles for 20+ years now and I still love them and can't wait to get my hands dirty working on my own stuff.

Anyway like I said if anyone has an issue mechanical/electrical, etc... I am more then happy to help answer questions (that and I have done many custom sound systems). Not saying I am great with the App/software side of things, but the wiring, custom install of things is my forte.

The issue (In my opinion for ground fault loop) is the cigarette lighter power in the glove box. I think we just need to run a wire from the negative there to the main ground and we are good.

Installed Mods:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #190
kgc

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Btw, has anyone tried hooking up an SDR radio usb stick? What do you do for the antenna?
kgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #191
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc View Post
Btw, has anyone tried hooking up an SDR radio usb stick? What do you do for the antenna?

You can use the head unit as a radio. I've had good luck using the remote through the ac vent. But honestly I just use spotify.

Installed Mods:
Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #192
scarfo

Drives: gts 86

In relation to torque app, can you not use a wifi version of the obd2 instead of a bluetooth?
scarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #193
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfo View Post
In relation to torque app, can you not use a wifi version of the obd2 instead of a bluetooth?

I didn't because I hotspot my phone with the nexus... Though I can't see why you couldn't. But honestly the Bluetooth ones are cheaper and work just as well.

Installed Mods:
Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #194
choyr

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
is buying a head unit without bluetooth is enough if you will not use a bluetooth DAC? I saw a sale in black friday for pioneer media receiver.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38335639?w...ype=10&veh=aff
choyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #195
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by choyr View Post
is buying a head unit without bluetooth is enough if you will not use a bluetooth DAC?

If you aren't using your cell phone through your head unit... Then yes all you need on the headunit is the aux in and the usb dac.

Installed Mods:
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #196
choyr

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
are there available kernel for 2013 model, other than timur that is currently working fine for otg charging? I saw this glitch kernel. Anyone used this?
choyr is offline   Reply With Quote