follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #15
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
insert from wikipedia article on Multi product Pipelines

"The oil is kept in motion by stations along the pipeline, and usually flows at speed of about 1 to 6 metres per second (3.3 to 19.7 ft/s). Multi-product pipelines are used to transport two or more different products in sequence in the same pipeline. Usually in multi-product pipelines there is no physical separation between the different products. Some mixing of adjacent products occurs, producing, also known in the industry as "transmix." At the receiving facilities this interface is usually absorbed in one of the products based on pre-calculated absorption rates. Alternately, transmix may be diverted and shipped to facilities for separation of the commingled products"

so being is SA and worrying that Sipho might not worry about the transmix as much as the next person, makes you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to WesleyG For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #16
Scarl3t

Drives: Hachi-Roku
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyG View Post
Atleast you got some dyno evidence of ping, the only issue is, I wonder how the consistant they are with fuels.

The reason that sasol is better could be down to the fact that its not piped up to the reef like the other fuels that are refined on the coast.

Its also manufactured differently, Sasol is made entirely from coal whereas the other ones are made with crude oil, like everyting else

They use one multi product pipeline for everything, diesel, 93 ULP, 93 LRP, 95 ULP etc.

they basically run one type of fuel and send a another one after it in the same pipeline, ( I was also involved in the developement of it, and its something about the speed of the flow the stops them from mixing) Dont fully understand that as I was involved on the electrical switcgear side.

So you can be assured that some mixing is going an and its highly unlikely that the consistancy of the fuel is going to the same always.

Maybe I should just fill up with Sasol.
is this Sasol Secunda or Sasolburg?

as Sasol Secunda has separate plants for their various products and transports via Truck and Train.
Scarl3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #17
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Very interesting, thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #18
86Rxi20v

Drives: 86HighAT White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very interesting indeed! Was worrying why the consumption was so high on shell v power. 13l per 100! Sasol it shall be from now on. Congrats on the ride Dracco !
86Rxi20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Congrats on the car.
The first think I got done before I got any chips on the front was to get a clear wrap done on the whole front of the car.

With regards to fuels, from the day I got my car until the day I got it properly tuned for 95 Unleaded, I used octane booster. These high compression motors detonate badly on 95. Check under the sticker in your fuel cap and you will see it says "98 RON ONLY"...its there for a reason.

Enjoy the car bud!
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3t View Post
is this Sasol Secunda or Sasolburg?

as Sasol Secunda has separate plants for their various products and transports via Truck and Train.
Secunda, no coal in sasol berg lol.
Sasol berg last time I checked focused on petrochemical byproducts, like waxes, polymers etc
Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #21
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyG View Post
Secunda, no coal in sasol berg lol.
Sasol berg last time I checked focused on petrochemical byproducts, like waxes, polymers etc
Wow, I'm surprised.
Sasolburg was the original coal to petrol plant, and I thought that was still their mainstream production.

But what do I know - being an old fart, I live in the past. I still try to find my 86's 45DCOE Weber carbs...
Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
atoolbox

Drives: 86 TRD kit, exh & filter
Yes that is quite true, Sasolburg make special chemicals now and oils.
Natref and Secunda makes all the fuels and diesels.

Sasolburg now runs fully on natural gas, and Secunda also on gas and portion of it runs on coal.
Hope this helps.

So most of the fuel is quite "clean" almost synthetic as well as the diesel which is now 10ppm sulphur.

atoolbox
atoolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atoolbox For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #23
Dracco

Drives: Gt 86 TRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
Congrats on the car.
The first think I got done before I got any chips on the front was to get a clear wrap done on the whole front of the car.

With regards to fuels, from the day I got my car until the day I got it properly tuned for 95 Unleaded, I used octane booster. These high compression motors detonate badly on 95. Check under the sticker in your fuel cap and you will see it says "98 RON ONLY"...its there for a reason.

Enjoy the car bud!
Hi Dammod,

Thanks for the comment, you mentioned you used to use an octane booster. Which one did you use, does using an octane booster effect your warranty?

Thanks
Dracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #24
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you're going to use OB use Liqui-Moly ( @JouMaSeHoes will agree).

I use it on the Nelspruit runs and it has been described as butter in your tank as the car is a lot smoother. The downside with some of these additives is plug fouling, there have been some cases where plugs have had to be replaced and they are not cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
Hi Dammod,

Thanks for the comment, you mentioned you used to use an octane booster. Which one did you use, does using an octane booster effect your warranty?

Thanks
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Dammod,

Thanks
I used NF Red with no problem for 10 000km.
But, at R50 a bottle per tank, its cheaper (in the long run), safer and better for the engine to get a tune.

Whats even worse for the engine is using OB now and again. What happens in this case is the car detects the better fuel and starts adding timing hence increasing performance. When the tank of fuel is finished and you fill up with plain 95 again, the car has to detonate its self to pieces again until it has pulled enough timing be run relatively safely.

By the way, from the testing we have done, the car still pulls a bit of timing on LM and NF Octane Boosters. Its only NF Race (R150) or Torco (R250) that we dont see much or any det on.

A person might argue that if the car pulls timing because it has detects rubbish low octane fuel it is safe...WRONG. The car now and again adds a bit of timing to "test the waters", because you are using the same fuel it has to det AGAIN for it to full timing. This is a continues process.

A safe reliable tune (from a good tuner) with give you the same performance (or more) on 95 then you will get on the stock tune with 95 and Octane booster with the added benefit (in our case) of Launch Control, flat foot shifting and a much better torque curve.

Stock BRZ with AFE drop in panel filter: 95 tuned AFE map VS Stock MAP

*Outside temp 25 degrees Celsius. All runs done within 10min of each other.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Dammod,

Thanks
From my experience using Sasol fuel was the best, had no problems with timing.

Since I moved location, I fill up with BP, (its near to where I am stay) and on hot days I feel my timing pulling and not a smooth experience at all when driving. Really wish I had a Sasol garage in reasonable driving distance. (BP not recommended)

With regards to Octane Booster...I read some reviews that guys damaged their cars using NF Ultra...

Your safest bet is Torco.

It will cost you around R300 per almost a Litre....but its the best quality Octane booster and safest you can get in the SA markets.

RGM is the official distributor of this product in SA, and I have used 2 bottles myself and this product is awesome

I mix 100ml of Octane booster(Torco) to 10Litres of fuel(95ron) to hope that it will pick up to 98ron.... I dont have a tune, so I am not willing to go more that 100ml to 10Litres ratio.
Once I get a tune, I plan on improving that mixing ratio.

Not sure what the others do....
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #27
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
Not sure what the others do....
Only when I track my car - from two or three tanks beforehand, 1 tin Liqui Moly per three-quarter tank Sasol 95 (and a smidgeon of Captain Morgan ).
Old 10-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #28
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Only when I track my car - from two or three tanks beforehand, 1 tin Liqui Moly per three-quarter tank Sasol 95 (and a smidgeon of Captain Morgan ).
Haha, your car loves that Captain Morgan.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote