follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
Havsie

Drives: 13 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk47 View Post
Hello: Yes I know of two on dealer lots right now. The dealer in Kingsport TN will not haggle.
If you're going to pay sticker on a 2013, why not get a 2015 for an extra thousand bucks?

There is zero reason to get a 2013 at this point unless it's at a very heavy discount.
Havsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Havsie For This Useful Post:
Braces (09-29-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I have a 2013 10 Series. No issues to report. About to go through my second oil change.

If you plan to sell the car, I'd get a 2015 for better resale value. I don't plan to sell this car ever so the 2013 with the discounts were great. Mine was built 6/2013 of 7/2013 and i bought it 12/2013. Got 1500 off MSRP and 700 or something for the college grad rebate.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #17
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I think very few cars have had any major engine issues with this platform stock. I really would not worry about it and your engine powertrain warranty is 5yr 60K miles.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #18
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That's a misconception of sorts. Pure Pricing means the price the individual dealer advertises and/or posts is the one you have to pay and they have to charge. A dealer could list all their 2013's at $5,000 or $50,000 and would have to sell them all for that.
That's exactly right. I've seen '13s on lots posted with a $1500 off MSRP by the Scion dealer. I got roughly the same on mine new. I walked on the dealers who tried the PP BS with me, I worked with the dealers that didn't and I ended up buying one from them. Simple. You can also get around the PP BS by using your bank/credit union to price your vehicle (sort of true price/TMV) through deals they have with the fleet or internet manager.

Those issues were mostly found in some of those tracking or revving at around redline. Don't do either and you should be fine regardless.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
sk47

Drives: sentra SE
Hello; Thanks for the replys so far. To answer a question, yes the car is being discounted. I would indeed be looking at the newer models if the pure pricing stuff was strong in effect.
sk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
sk47

Hello; To get back to the area of my initial question. Does the 5 yr /60000 mile powertrain warranty cover the fuel injection system? I suppose that a total engine failure is covered in that time limit.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #21
sk47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Inquire if the VIN of the car you are buying falls under the range of cars that have TSB's issued...and if it does, make sure the TSB's have been performed before you take delivery
Hello; I have the vin number. How does one go about matching the vin with the TSB's that have been issued?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk47 View Post
Hello; I have the vin number. How does one go about matching the vin with the TSB's that have been issued?
The TSB's posted in linked thread cover certain vin ranges. If your vin falls within that range, and symptoms are present, the TSB should be performed:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I am VERY glad to see all the positive posts here! Generally on a forum like this all you hear about are the "problems" with the car. This is of course the first place many come for answers and can cause a misconception that the issue is actually more common than they really are. It is also a place where those that like to do major mods discuss their proble ms so again a problem that may never be seen in a stock or lightly modded car may seem to be common. Are there problems with the cars. Certainly! Are they as bad as they seem. Probably not!
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #24
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a late '13 car and have had no issues other than crickets that were resolved with the HPFP TSB. I'm told by other owners they could return but if so I'll wait for another HPFP upgrade and get it then.

Keep in mind that any '13 needs an oil change as defined by time and/or mileage in the owner's warranty guide. Have that done before delivery. Also, bumper-to-bumper means everything, including free four-wheel alignments during the first 18 months or 12,000 miles (I think), wiper blades, floor mats, you name it.

Have fun with your car, modern manufacturing and quality assurance have come a long way to produce nearly bulletproof cars in recent years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a leftover at a great price. Just think of our overseas enthusiast friends here reading this who cough up three year's+ income and wait six months+ to join the club.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #25
sk47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
The TSB's posted in linked thread cover certain vin ranges. If your vin falls within that range, and symptoms are present, the TSB should be performed:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868
Hello; Thanks I will check the list
Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
sk47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am VERY glad to see all the positive posts here! Generally on a forum like this all you hear about are the "problems" with the car. This is of course the first place many come for answers and can cause a misconception that the issue is actually more common than they really are. It is also a place where those that like to do major mods discuss their proble ms so again a problem that may never be seen in a stock or lightly modded car may seem to be common. Are there problems with the cars. Certainly! Are they as bad as they seem. Probably not!
Hello; You make good points. Many of the issues I have seen listed for the FR-S are not too serious. I do not expect a car to be problem free. My concern started with finding references to the serious problems associated with direct injection seal failure and transient throttle detonation events. Both of these issues can lead to engine damage or failure.

From my reading, it seems that the car companies keep information about such serious issues to themselves as much as possible. Apparently a fix will eventually be incorporated into the normal production lines once such a fix is found. Consumers with cars produced before the fix may get lucky and have the issue fixed under warranty. Warranty fixes, it seems, are one way the companies find out about problems.

A goal of this thread is to see if a known fix has indeed been found for the more serious issues and, if possible, about when a fix may have been put in production.

I have a friend with a 2000 Porsche Boxter that he bought used a few years ago. He did not do any checking. He was not aware of the Intermediate Shaft Bearing failures that have affected perhaps as much as 10% of engines made with an intermediate shaft.

The members of this forum posting positive experience with their FR-S cars is reassuring. One post indicated a feeling that the factory production fix may have been put in place around March 2013 for the DI seals. In wishing to know for sure if and when such a production fix was made, I may be asking for information that is not available to members of this forum. At any rate I appreciate any information shared on these more serious issues and the less serious issues as well.

I will follow up when possible on any suggestions made. I sent an e-mail to the dealer requesting the production date of the particular car in question and await a reply. I will also try to check to check the TSB's with reference to the car's VIN.

Thanks again for the timely replies and for taking an intrest.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I give you high marks for researching things so thoroughly before making your purchase. I just bought 2013 FR-S 10 Series new from a dealer last month and, like you, I read everything I could on this forum about issues with theses cars. Obviously, in the end I decided to buy the car - my decision being driven by substantial discounts and really liking Silver Ignition and the unique features of the 10 Series (aside from the backlit badges).

There are still a lot of 2013 cars on the lots, and even more 2014s. While I don't want to hijack your thread, discussing negotiated prices may be helpful for other buyers of these cars - I know it would have been for me. Scion dealers that I visited generally used their Pure Price policy as a reason to not to negotiate, but after visiting three dealerships in my search for a 10 Series, I finally found one that would. I paid $23,500 before tax, title, and license on a car with a sticker price of $28,300 that had 32 miles on the odometer and was still on the showroom floor. What price have you been able to negotiate so far?

Either way, good luck and enjoy the car!

Last edited by RJasonKlein; 09-13-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Corrected a typographical error.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
abraxis (09-29-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
got mine in january '13, and i've had no issues other than tail light condensation (which i didn't have until after i was rear-ended, so it may have been from the new lights)