follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Oil leaking from Drivers Side (Problem and Solution)

Ok everyone, so this is a good news bad news post. So sometime back I noticed what looked like wet bits of oil on the driver side of my car. Went to investigate (Checked the forums, mirror under hood, lights, etc) and couldnt find the exact cause. Went to Sharrett Subaru (Hagerstown, MD) and asked there. They cleaned everything up asked to bring it back if I saw it again. Drove it for a few thousand miles and sure enough there it was. Thus far the belief is the timing cover seal was not sealed correctly (either due to factory failure or adding too much oil). To be clear up until now I had Subaru perform all oil changes to make the factory warranty happy. So the resolution with a timing cover is to completely pull the engine, reseal and reinstall, to the tune of $1200.00. Of this, Subaru covers completely under warranty as I'm told...

That was the good news, now you wonderfully boosted compadres of mine, the bad news. Subaru will NOT do this at all (paid or otherwise) unless you remove your compressor of choice and all tunes that went with it. That being said IF you decide to remove it, they will still perform the work for you, gratis under warranty, but it HAS to be removed first. So if you do run into this problem and feel like you have both the time and mechnical inclination to do so, you can remove your boost components, bring it in, and hooah, new timing cover sealed care of Subaru of America. Then you can reinstall your compressor, tunes etc....

If you're still reading and wondering whats going on with my car (Innovate Stage 2,oil cooler, etc) its sitting at ptuning right now where its going to get this done along with a new clutch and spark plugs. (If you have to have the engine out might as well get some business done.) Just so everyone has a frame of reference, my cars details:

2013 Subaru Premium BRZ
MTX
Innovate Stage 2
Perrin Oil Cooler
Radium Dual catch cans
50k+ miles
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ybotspawn For This Useful Post:
wheelhaus (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@AllDayJonRay

The fact that your dealer is willing to perform warrantied engine work on a car that is known to be boosted is fantastic; that they only are requesting you return it to a OEM-like workable condition shows a lot of maturity and responsibility on their part. If it's a known warranty/TSB issue they really should honor it, regardless of what's been done to the car (within reason). I wish more dealers were like this.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
nivek111070 (09-27-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
ybotspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
@AllDayJonRay

The fact that your dealer is willing to perform warrantied engine work on a car that is known to be boosted is fantastic; that they only are requesting you return it to a OEM-like workable condition shows a lot of maturity and responsibility on their part. If it's a known warranty/TSB issue they really should honor it, regardless of what's been done to the car (within reason). I wish more dealers were like this.
I agree, I was pleasantly surprised at this, even though it doesn't make sense to obviously unboost it. I did tell them i appreciate their position and they understand my frustration, but never did I once believe that they were unprofessional in anyway. (Shout out to Blake and Tom if they ever read this)
Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Looks like we need a poll on timing cover leak, there have been a number of threads already.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Just updated my thread... Still not repaired, and they are adding a passenger side valve cover reseal to the repair..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
ybotspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
Just updated my thread... Still not repaired, and they are adding a passenger side valve cover reseal to the repair..

So based on what I've read yours is MUCH worse than mine. I just noticed a slight drip with no oil smell per sey. Sounds like u need a different dealer.... My $0.02
Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #7
AllDayJonRay

Garage
In reality, it was a very small leak... Wasn't losing any considerable amount of oil, only noticed because it had eventually dripped onto the exhaust manifold and smelled of burnt oil... It's just spiraled into this ridiculous repair.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
ybotspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
In reality, it was a very small leak... Wasn't losing any considerable amount of oil, only noticed because it had eventually dripped onto the exhaust manifold and smelled of burnt oil... It's just spiraled into this ridiculous repair.

Have you had to pay for any of it? Is it just they are taking too long if so is there anther Subaru dealership nearby?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
AllDayJonRay

Garage
Oil leaking from Drivers Side (Problem and Solution)

No, the car is basically stock with only 11,000 miles, so it's covered.. Problem is its Toyota, not Subaru...

Last edited by AllDayJonRay; 09-27-2014 at 11:55 AM.