follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #603
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,092 Times in 11,446 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I guess magazines feel obligated to mention the Twins because they feel those are the most compelling coupes under $30k right now..... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
...The truth is Top Gear makes a quick comparison which is unfavorable to the twins, but nobody was crying foul when the twins were coming in 1st and 2nd in this review...
Actually, I think Top Gear uses the 86 as a benchmark because they were one of its biggest fans in the initial release. I'm not surprised by the comparison, or the results against the new Mustang. I wouldn't classify anything that has been said as unfair.

I'm holding off final judgement until I can drive one, but there's a good chance I'll end up with a '15 Mustang parked next to the FR-S in my garage to replace MomHawk's Mustang '05 convertible.

I'm not really crazy about the look though, the initial "looks nice" impression I had has worn off for me. I think I was just happy initially it still looked like a Mustang and not the Aston wannabe in some of the first renderings. Then again, it won't be my car so my opinion matters only as far as my willingness to write my 49% of the check.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #604
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think Ford missed a golden opportunity with the new Mustang. The new car is nearly as long as a Camry but still does not offer much in the way of a useable backseat. They made a bigger, heavier car and could have slightly reduced some of the bulk, lost weight. In the end it won't matter much because the target demographic for a Mustang is a 50+ year old male and they will care more about interior refinement and the car driving better on the street. Which Ford accomplished.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #605
BobDigi5060

Drives: 2008 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I think Ford missed a golden opportunity with the new Mustang. The new car is nearly as long as a Camry but still does not offer much in the way of a useable backseat. They made a bigger, heavier car and could have slightly reduced some of the bulk, lost weight. In the end it won't matter much because the target demographic for a Mustang is a 50+ year old male and they will care more about interior refinement and the car driving better on the street. Which Ford accomplished.
The target is literally everyone and the rest of the World (turbo, 30+ mpg, IRS, modern styling, roomier, etc). The styling is meant to attract more female buyers too. 50-100 pounds and an inch in length is really nothing to write home about.... Every last editor is saying that this is a proper Mustang and the best one yet. As far as a roomy backseat? Child please, it's a pony car at the end of the day and this ain't the 1960's so get with it... If you want a roomy backseat in an American Classic buy the Challenger.

Tuners are going to have a field day with the Ecoboost... At this point I'd rather have that model now and buy the V8 GT later when they update it with direct injection and other amenities.
BobDigi5060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #606
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just going to insert my opinion. Was really looking forward to seeing what this car was going to be like when they first announced it and showed pictures. Like This Article (Autoblog 2013), the car looked smaller and lighter. After some real photos came out, my excitement waned:

And it was easier to judge that the car was the same size and weight as the older mustangs with just a few aero improvements. Ford has made plenty of glamour shots and spread rumors that it would be a lighter car to try and make the car look smaller than it is. But it's really about the same size, shape, and weight as the 2014.

It looks good, and the interior is cool, and the engine choices are nice, but it doesn't pull me away from my BRZ.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #607
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
SN95/New Edge Mustangs aren't exactly small either.
Pic is misleading, the S95 Mustang is tiny compared to the '05+. Posting it well in front of a 3rd gen Camaro makes it look bigger than it is. It's taller than the 3rd gen F-body, but smaller in every other dimension. Before the OHC and DOHC V8s replaced the smaller/lighter-weight OHV 302, it was also only ~3250 lb. for the V8 models, while the 3rd gen was ~3450 and the C4 and C5 were ~3350 lb.

Quote:
What has happened, honestly, is the car has come into line with the Camaro, with it's big weight, content, and IRS. At this point, they are not modern day 60s Mustangs and Camaros, they're modern day 60s Torinos and Chevelles. But I, and most buyers, understand what we're getting into because that's what we're looking for.
And buyers like myself are left with nothing

They should have made the new Mustang a legitimate *alternative* to the absurdly oversized and overweight '10+ Camaro, not a Ford version of the same car
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #608
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
My problem with the car is this view:

Headlights are pushed out to the very edge making it look "derpy." Overall the front end is very bland and lacks the menacing look they used to have.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #609
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
And buyers like myself are left with nothing

They should have made the new Mustang a legitimate *alternative* to the absurdly oversized and overweight '10+ Camaro, not a Ford version of the same car
That is what makes the 86 a special car. Lightweight fixed-top coupes are usually 40k+ if you can even find them.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #610
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I think the new Mustang is pretty mean-looking. Yeah, it doesn't have the driving dynamics of the newer BOSS 302 (the only Mustang I would ever buy), but the IRS is a positive move.

The weight penalty sucks but there was practically no way to keep the car affordable and do all of the things that they needed to make this into a world car.

Me thinks the modded Ecoboost and V8 guys are going to have quite the rivalry over the years...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:35 AM   #611
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
That is what makes the 86 a special car. Lightweight fixed-top coupes are usually 40k+ if you can even find them.
i dont know. none of that is particularly special. i dont think the eclipse is a special car. or the tc. the frs is special because of a commitment to a singular purpose. it doesnt really pander to people looking at a spec sheet or measuring parts of a car. to me, macpherson struts, that torque dip, and its performance/price ratio are all very poor choices. the car was built to be fun while driving and they accomplished that, so i bought one.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #612
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont know. none of that is particularly special. i dont think the eclipse is a special car. or the tc. the frs is special because of a commitment to a singular purpose. it doesnt really pander to people looking at a spec sheet or measuring parts of a car. to me, macpherson struts, that torque dip, and its performance/price ratio are all very poor choices. the car was built to be fun while driving and they accomplished that, so i bought one.
I should have included RWD. Anything that is cheap, rwd, and light will sell like hotcakes.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #613
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I should have included RWD. Anything that is cheap, rwd, and light will sell like hotcakes.
tacoma? there is a lot of stuff that goes into making a car awesome. my crx and my miatas are at least as fun as my brz despite meeting less of your criteria. i think its safe to say that the people on this forum will like it very much but i think heavier more powerful cars will sell like hotcakes because thats what most of the "enthusiast" world wants.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #614
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
tacoma? there is a lot of stuff that goes into making a car awesome. my crx and my miatas are at least as fun as my brz despite meeting less of your criteria. i think its safe to say that the people on this forum will like it very much but i think heavier more powerful cars will sell like hotcakes because thats what most of the "enthusiast" world wants.
No, 50+ year old male American drivers eat up these Camaros and Mustangs. Because they make up the largest percentage of new car buyers. Honestly, if the Mustang lost some weight and size it will still sell just as well.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #615
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
No, 50+ year old male American drivers eat up these Camaros and Mustangs. Because they make up the largest percentage of new car buyers. Honestly, if the Mustang lost some weight and size it will still sell just as well.
well those 50+ guys are the only people enthused enough to actually buy a car. the guys buying cars are the ones that actually value the cars seeing as money is the universal standard of value.
Rampage (09-29-2014), strat61caster (09-28-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #616
funwheeldrive

Quote:
A tacoma is not light.

Quote:
well those 50+ guys are the only people enthused enough to actually buy a car. the guys buying cars are the ones that actually value the cars seeing as money is the universal standard of value.
Money =! Enthusiasm

The majority of younger drivers can't even consider buying a brand new car, not in this economy.

Tags
2015, couldhavehadav8, ecoboost, ford, mustang