follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #29
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,157 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Winning an argument on the Internet is like winning the special olympics....
Classy.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #30
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need better handling? You need new tires.

Tires doing just fine? You need HPDE days. Even 1 is better than none.

Need more whp? Header-back exhaust/drop in filter & tune.

The cars I have ridden in back to back with stock sway bars and larger/solid sways are only noticeable when you push the car, to it's limits. Now in a DD, this is rarely the case that will happen unless you have the pocket book to back it up in case things snap crackle or pop.

My personal advice? Use the car on the weekends to drift in some parking lots to get some healthy tire wear going so replacements look very naice
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #31
dtrop

Drives: Wrb 2014 limited brZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Need better handling? You need new tires.

Tires doing just fine? You need HPDE days. Even 1 is better than none.

Need more whp? Header-back exhaust/drop in filter & tune.

The cars I have ridden in back to back with stock sway bars and larger/solid sways are only noticeable when you push the car, to it's limits. Now in a DD, this is rarely the case that will happen unless you have the pocket book to back it up in case things snap crackle or pop.

My personal advice? Use the car on the weekends to drift in some parking lots to get some healthy tire wear going so replacements look very naice
I already addressed your suggestions in my first post.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
don't lie, you've done absolutely zero searching....but given your requirements, you need neither the swaybar or a strutbar.

So save your money and continue on enjoying your car.

As the first step in upgrading your car is understanding what specific problem in handling it is that you can address. So until you can explain what issues you're having while operating the vehicle, even thinking about "upgrading" is a futile effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrop View Post
I don't need your childish, pretentious tone. Don't come here and try to tell me what I did and did not do.

As for everyone else, thank you for your inputs and information.

It sounds like it's a good upgrade for more intensive driving, but I don't think I'll be experiencing much of this with my 30-40 minutes of driving per day.
If you read past some of the mildly douchey remarks (and I do mean very mild no offence 7th gear), these guys give you good advice. And it IS quite obvious you did not do any research. Not even a little bit. That aside, it seems like you just want to do something to the car and 'feel' a difference in the handling. Anti-sway bar will do that for you more than a strut bar will.

I will have to agree with what most of what the other guys are saying and that is to save your money and leave the suspension stock. Maybe save up for some cool looking wheels and tires with decent increase in grip over stock. I think you'll be the most happy going this route. Look in the classified section here or you might get a sick deal on craigslist for wheels. You just got to make sure they're going to fit correctly on this car.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #33
dtrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
If you read past some of the mildly douchey remarks (and I do mean very mild no offence 7th gear), these guys give you good advice. And it IS quite obvious you did not do any research. Not even a little bit. That aside, it seems like you just want to do something to the car and 'feel' a difference in the handling. Anti-sway bar will do that for you more than a strut bar will.

I will have to agree with what most of what the other guys are saying and that is to save your money and leave the suspension stock. Maybe save up for some cool looking wheels and tires with decent increase in grip over stock. I think you'll be the most happy going this route. Look in the classified section here or you might get a sick deal on craigslist for wheels. You just got to make sure they're going to fit correctly on this car.
1. 7thgear is the only one giving me a problem. Everyone else was giving good advice and I thanked them.

2. I did research. By research I mean read threads the day I created the topic, which is why is clearly stated, a little researchin my very first sentence. Don't sit there and tell me that I didn't read anything. I can't even begin to explain how childish of an assumption that is. I confused the location of two suspension parts, sue me.

3. I already stated in my first post that I'm not purchasing new tires until the stock ones are bald.

Last edited by dtrop; 09-15-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Add
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #34
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Maybe we have a different understanding of the word "research" lmao

Spend your money however you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
7thgear (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #35
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Huh? So you can corner at infinite speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Probably means he has more grip than needed at his current skill/comfort level.
Pretty much.

My fastest time at Buttonwillow is slowly getting to 2:15 and below.

Most of my fast peers with the same mods (brakes, coilovers, wheels + tires) are a good 5-10 seconds faster than me. One is running 2:05 and below with wheels/coilovers/brakes only on an otherwise stock ZC6.

Grip isn't my problem and sway bars won't do a thing for me. If I run R-compounds and need more roll stiffness, that's when I'll get the bars.

-alex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (09-15-2014), wparsons (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #36
JamesBond000
First Class Speeder

Drives: Silent and Quick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
1. 7thgear is the only one giving me a problem. Everyone else was giving good advice and I thanked them.

2. I did research. By research I mean read threads the day I created the topic, which is why is clearly stated, a little researchin my very first sentence. Don't sit there and tell me that I didn't read anything. I can't even begin to explain how childish of an assumption that is. I confused the location of two suspension parts, sue me.

3. I already stated in my first post that I'm not purchasing new tires until the stock ones are bald.
Meh just try not to get riled up by some members its a waste of time... Unless your at work looking at the forums then just continue the troll war for fun LOL

Last edited by JamesBond000; 09-15-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Currently hiding under a bridge at work....
Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #37
Simok

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No experience with strut bars on a 86. But on previous cars you can definitely feel a difference but nothing crazy.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #38
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Do people here really feel the stock 86/BRZ/FRS has too much body roll?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #39
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,157 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Do people here really feel the stock 86/BRZ/FRS has too much body roll?
Apparently. But the op just didn't know what he wanted.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #40
dtrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Apparently. But the op just didn't know what he wanted.
You're right, I didn't. However, I came here for guidance asking if it would be a positive noticeable change for daily driving.

The answer in this thread is split, though in other threads, people seem to actually notice a difference, even during daily driving.

It's like upgrading computer parts. You don't really know if it will change your performance until you try. Even if the part shows higher benchmarks, you still
Might not notice a change in everyday use. However, the only difference is, changing car components can be dangerous.

The consensus here though is to wait until my tires bald, purchase new tires, and then realize that it's probably an unnecessary mod.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #41
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,455 Times in 4,157 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
and then realize that it's probably an unnecessary mod.
I am going into pedant mode.
All mods are unnecessary. This car is unnecessary. I have modded my car so that it is the car I want. There is nothing wrong wanting to mod your car. The thing that riles some people here is that there are many questions that have already been answered or at least discussed in this forum.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #42
dtrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I am going into pedant mode.
All mods are unnecessary. This car is unnecessary. I have modded my car so that it is the car I want. There is nothing wrong wanting to mod your car. The thing that riles some people here is that there are many questions that have already been answered or at least discussed in this forum.
I'm not new to this forum and certainly not knew to forums in general. I wanted a thread based on my car, not asking questions in someone else's thread about their car/wants.

After all, forums are created for discussion and learning. New threads might bring new people into the conversation, new experiences with people who have used the products, instead of reviving a year old thread.

Maybe a year later, after a person has been using a product, they have new experiences to shine in based on the driving they did, but would have never gone back to an older thread to post it in. Or new users to a product who have not posted have a chance to chime in.

This is how the internet works and is so successful. You type in a google search question and you come up with dozens of links to answers.

Closed Thread