follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #2143
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Umm... So i think I'm the first to have the welds crack on my header? :/
started hearing an exhaust leak that was really annoying that progressively got worse in the past month. Went under the car and bam. Sad boy todayyy

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Old 08-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #2144
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn it, Bad Luck Brian T_T

Which weld... got pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
Umm... So i think I'm the first to have the welds crack on my header? :/
started hearing an exhaust leak that was really annoying that progressively got worse in the past month. Went under the car and bam. Sad boy todayyy
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #2145
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry if this is gonna offend anyone, but the entire situation with ft86 and these headers rub me the wrong way.

I want to get it on a dyno.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #2146
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Sorry if this is gonna offend anyone, but the entire situation with ft86 and these headers rub me the wrong way.

I want to get it on a dyno.
I sure hope no one ever gets offended with what they read on this forum.. and especially that your asking a legit question... FT86SF have provided some answers on that front if your talking new design vs old design.. basically saying it was 3d scanned and is identical.

Lets just hope the weld failure is an isolated case... any detail to the wear its seen?? lot of tracking maybe? still not an excuse, but more flex would certainly put more strain on the headers.. what other parts is it combined with?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #2147
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCharged View Post
I sure hope no one ever gets offended with what they read on this forum.. and especially that your asking a legit question... FT86SF have provided some answers on that front if your talking new design vs old design.. basically saying it was 3d scanned and is identical.

Lets just hope the weld failure is an isolated case... any detail to the wear its seen?? lot of tracking maybe? still not an excuse, but more flex would certainly put more strain on the headers.. what other parts is it combined with?

3d scan will show that its identical in dimension, but not in air flow and harmonics.

I still don't believe going from a weld to a bend didn't change those factors.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #2148
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
3d scan will show that its identical in dimension, but not in air flow and resonance.

Maybe so, I dont know much about 3d scanning. but if dimensions are the same at all point of a 3d model and materials are unchanged... interior of piping should also be identical.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #2149
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Maybe so, I dont know much about 3d scanning. but if dimensions are the same at all point of a 3d model and materials are unchanged... interior of piping should also be identical.

Materials have changed, or at least the amount, density and location of materials.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #2150
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
3d scan will show that its identical in dimension, but not in air flow and harmonics.

With all those welds on the original, how come you trusted so much more that every header produced before the change were identical for flow with all those pipe joints?

Quote:
... interior of piping should also be identical.
As I understand it, bends are identical, there are just less welds on the straight parts. If anything, less welds means less pipe joints where the flow can vary and thus better (more consistent) quality for us, the customer.

Until proven otherwise, or, until even remote actual indications exist that performance has changed, I think it is safe to exhale and.... relax
Old 08-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #2151
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
With all those welds on the original, how come you trusted so much more that every header produced before the change were identical for flow with all those pipe joints?

As I understand it, bends are identical, there are just less welds on the straight parts. If anything, less welds means less pipe joints where the flow can vary and thus better (more consistent) quality for us, the customer.

Until proven otherwise, or, until even remote actual indications exist that performance has changed, I think it is safe to exhale and.... relax

So you agree that the flow can be different? and you are assuming that it is an improvement.

The entire reason I chose an ft86 UEL header was ability to remove the torque dip w/o a tune.

That being said. There has not been any data showing information on the new headers; from FT86 or a 3rd party.

I did give them the benefit of the doubt, but after installing the header I am not convinced it has the same graph.

That being said. when I originally purchased the header, I did so based on the information given.

When a retailer shows you data on a product and you purchase the product based on that data. Then the seller changes the product and assures you that its the same product w/o any data to reinforce their claims. It is due diligence to be skeptical.

I don't have the blind faith you have.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #2152
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So you agree that the flow can be different? and you are assuming that it is an improvement.
Not in that way. For every pipe joint, there can be a minimal variance in flow. Remember, variance includes a perfect joint, as if no weld was there.
So original product = More joints = wider variance between each header delivered.

Modified product = Less joints = less variance between each header delivered = better quality

What I am saying is that if you trusted the original product offering, you can also trust the modified one. Trust me, I'm an engineer
Old 08-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #2153
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Damn it, Bad Luck Brian T_T

Which weld... got pics?
here you go
Attached Images

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tylub For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (08-22-2014), DarkSunrise (08-22-2014), sato (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #2154
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
Not in that way. For every pipe joint, there can be a minimal variance in flow. Remember, variance includes a perfect joint, as if no weld was there.
So original product = More joints = wider variance between each header delivered.

Modified product = Less joints = less variance between each header delivered = better quality

What I am saying is that if you trusted the original product offering, you can also trust the modified one. Trust me, I'm an engineer

I am not speaking about build quality...

Air flow and harmonics are affected. So is it reasonable to say the dyno graph has changed since the new design?

The only way to be sure is to get a dyno graph of the installed header. Which I will have to do. I really don't want to put it on a dyno because I don't trust that it has the same graph as what I was sold. But it definetly feels like the graph has changed.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #2155
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
here you go
Ooooh that's nasty... Hope ft86sf takes care of you man.

Last edited by chas3wba0; 01-13-2015 at 04:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chas3wba0 For This Useful Post:
Tylub (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #2156
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
here you go
Well that's what their warranty is for!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (08-22-2014), Tylub (08-22-2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?